• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Ugly Bug just got a little uglier

Country flag
I was bringing my daughter home from camp "Hi-Ho" today when a deer decided to run in front of the car. Lucky for the deer I wasn't driving my SUV. The deer got it's rear legs clipped out from under it. We ducked as its hind quarters sailed over the top of the windscreen. It popped up and ran off (probably with a broken leg). The damage to the car was limited to the grill and nose. So it is now official: the car does not have a single straight panel on it.
uglier.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor,

A little buffing compound and it will rub right out. Looks like the extra bracing you put in for the early bonnet kept it from collapsing further. A distinct crease is definitely noticable there. Glad you were able to duck and survived without injury. Shame about the dent in the grille, sheet metal will probably pop out fairly easily. You may need to do like I did with Bugsy for many years before I painted him, "Drive Ugly".

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
I've been driving ugly since 2008. This might be the catalyst I need to start bodywork.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Jim, you were right about the brace. I just flipped open the bonnet and took a look. That is 3/4" angle iron (1/8" thick). It is clearly bent. I was thinking that cross piece was over kill, but it may have saved my radiator and additional bonnet damage.

Attachments

• bentbrace.jpg
    bentbrace.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 91
G

So lemme get this straight, the fact that things happen and perfection only exists in conceptual form is the catalyst to make it better for things to happen to it?

Sounds like it's time to start crowding people on the track with it so much it makes them nervious. :thumbsup:

You'd be surprised how quickly a $250,000 Ferrari will get out of the way of a lil' old E30 when it's 1/4" off it's quarter in the apex of a turn. :wink:

I wish I would have gotten video of that.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor,

Without that brace I'm betting you would have had significantly more damage. See some good came from careful preparation. Deer bounced and went over rather than through the windshield.

So all of this discussions about repairing bonnets and fillers is either fortuitous or I opened up some bad karma for folks on this list. I hope it to be fortuitous.

And I just learned that the other '59 BE I told you about, sitting since '78, may finally be ready to move elsewhere. It could solve my bonnet where do I start issue. More to follow.

G

Trevor,

Without that brace I'm betting you would have had significantly more damage. See some good came from careful preparation. Deer bounced and went over rather than through the windshield.

I'd have to agree with you.

nomad

Yoda
Sorry to here of the mishap, Trevor. I got two with a vehicle one year and had a license to shoot a third.

REALLY enjoyed shooting that third one!!!

Hope your daughter isn't tramatized forever over the incident.

Kurt.

G

Sorry to here of the mishap, Trevor. I got two with a vehicle one year and had a license to shoot a third.

REALLY enjoyed shooting that third one!!!

Kurt.

Man, tell me about it. You have no idea how many times I wanted to shoot my car. :laugh:

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
OK, spent a little over and hour tapping and filing. The grill is straight enough for the Ugly Bug. Hopefully, tomorrow I can massage the bonnet back in line.

Attachments

• straightgrill.jpg
    straightgrill.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 79

nomad

Yoda
Man, tell me about it. You have no idea how many times I wanted to shoot my car. :laugh:

OK, OK...my grammar needs a little work.:eagerness:
Read that post as HUNTING license!!

Kurt.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Wow, glad you are OK!

In my area, it's one of things I worry about. Especially on a motorcycle.

I was just reading a test-drive article in Automobile magazine where the Mazda they were testing hit a deer and did $9000 worth of damage.

I race at Summit Point pretty often and it's a regular problem there, especially at the end of the straightaway (when cars are really moving). One time a cow wandered onto the track during a race I was in.

Here's an example of a Summit Point deer-strike.

Again, glad you're OK. The car can be fixed and if it gains a bit of patina, that just adds to the history of the car.

nomad

Yoda
You were fine, I was just making a joke.

Well, I realized I could have been a bit more clear. I remember back in high school days I would write what I thought was the great American novel and the teacher would turn it red with correction mark's. Science and math became my favorite subjects since there was nothing subjective about whether an answer was right or wrong.
Now, back to spridget content!!

Kurt

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Deer will jump when about to be hit. In most cars, that means a trip into the windshield. In an LBC, the low build might have saved your life. Around here in SW CT, it's not a question of if you hit a deer but when.