• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT 1974 1/2 MGB GT

crazymagman

Freshman Member
Alright, I am at a crossroads and am really not sure what to do. I'm just looking for suggestions as what should be done with my LBC.
She is a 1974 1/2 MGB GT with quite a bit of rust, poor running engine and basically needs an entire restoration. I love the car as it is stock, but also think I would like it to have the Sebring body kit and supercharger, etc, etc. Since she is a 1974 1/2 GT and not very common in the US, then I think I should just restore her to stock. Once I think of the money involved though, I think to myself that I could sell her and get another MG that is already restored for a lot less than it would cost to restore her. I'm really not sure which direction to head at this point, and any suggestions or pieces of advice will be greatly appreciated.
By the way, here is a link to how she looked before I discovered all the rust in the quarter and rocker panels.
https://www.geocities.com/mggt74/mgbgt.html
Mike

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Looks nice in that shot. You are right in that it would cost less to buy a nice one than restore yours, but it still seems a pity. Agreed that there were not many GTs of that vintage, so it wouldn't be right to add the Sebring kit etc.

I think that it would be more fun to leave a car looking stock, but uprate the brakes and suspension, and add the supercharger though.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike,
You and I are in the exact same spot. I have decided to bite the bullet and learn how to weld, and am bringing mine home from the shop I took it to for the work on the sills, rails, rockers.. etc. I tried to sell it thinking the OD tranny would be a selling point, but no takers, but lots of folks interested. Most were too far away.
I bought my Mig last week, and the car comes home this week, whereby, I will start cutting and see how bad it really is.
The rest of the body is in quite good shape on mine, so when I get the bottom done, I will at least have a good base. Stick with it and restore it to stock.
My wife wants a convertable but she has bought into my choice to learn a new craft. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Paul

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Hi Paul, I'm not sure I could actually help, but if you need someone to stand around drinking your coffee and criticising, give me a call!
Simon.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Mike -

Welcome to the Forum. Where in TN are you? I'm in Clarksville, finishing up the restoration of a '73 B roadster, and will be happy to give you more advice than you could possibly want!

Whatever your decision, you've found the best spot on the 'net for camaraderie and assistance.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Paul, I'm not sure I could actually help, but if you need someone to stand around drinking your coffee and criticising, give me a call!
Simon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks For the offer Simon, but I already have a wife... Remember... the navigator for the drive to BCD last month.

But.. I do make Tim Hortons coffee.... and it will be cold in the garage... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got a pretty solid '74-1/2 GT bodyshell

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What did you do with the rest of it Tony?

I really have my mind and heart into tackling this project.. That would be just too easy, except for the bringing it to Ontario part.

Paul

OP
C

crazymagman

Freshman Member
I'm in Mt. Juliet, so not too far from Clarksville. I found a bright spot this evening. I had pulled the plugs and put some oil in the cylinders and tonight I decided to see if she would turnover. Hallelujah!!!!! She turned right over and just sounded like she was ready to go. The head still must come off though, as she weeps antifreeze between the head and block, but at least she's not locked up.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep her appearing stock. I was thinking this evening that I could make some suspension and engine changes and return the rest to stock and have a fun corner carver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Its all there but needs total restoration...was involved in a minor accident back in the 80's & has been sitting since (actually real low mileage air conditioned car)...nothin real serious: driver fender, hood, bumper, front edge of inner fender in frint of radiator...guy couldn't get a fender so he put it in his driveway - long gravel one out in country..kids popped the windshield & passenger windows with bb gun so it has a little rust in passenger floor

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
What were the car numbers of the 1974 1/2 Rubber bumpered MGB GT's?
G-HD5-UE/36??? to ?? Does anyone know & how many BCF members have one.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't know that the numbers were recorded...but only 1247 came to North America - I have 2...1 is restored, 1 is ready for restoration

bcw

Mike,
I purchased my 1974 1/2 MGB/GT in 1990 for about 500 dollars. The interior was so bad my wife would not ride in the car, saying it was just gross. The previous owner had driven the car year round here in Michigan, so needless to say it was in bad shape.

Rocker panels and wings were replaced first, and then a cheap paint job carried the car unto 1999. I was in the process of moving to Atlanta, GA and had some disposable income and made the conversion to aluminum V8 engine.

We also changed over to chrome bumpers from the rubber ones. My wife made the suggestion, as I didn’t care one way or the other. I don’t think there is any intrinsic valve just because the GT has rubber bumpers. If you enjoy the car and really want to keep it, plan on making the repairs as you can and enjoy it as much as possible.

-bcw

Attachments

• 165395-MGB_GT.jpg
    165395-MGB_GT.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 77

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
bcw:

Only 1247 rubber bumper GT's made it to North America...pretty low numbers....if half of them still exist, which is probably high, that means about 623 are around....I've an old one that's either a parts car or a restorable one...I'll not remove anything that's '74-1/2 GT specific (& there are minor things) in case anybody ever wants to bring it back

I love GT's ('67, '70, '74-1/2 & '68 SCCA car) & believe the RB GT has a higher value. I'm keeping mine stock!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had a '67 B GT. Great car. Wish I had a budget to support this awful addiction.

bcw

Tony,

There are three 74 1/2 GT in the Old Speckled Hen Club here in West Michigan.
If you want to keep it stock, that’s great, I would encourage it.

I know that some 74 1/2 owners will mention the rarity of their car when posting on an auction site such as ebay. I don’t think it matters in the pricing through, it the condition of the car that will matter.

You do pose an interesting question about how many are still around. I think I will contact Steve Harding who is the 74 1/2 Register for NAMGBR. See if he can give me an idea.

Bruce Wyckoff
-bcw

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bruce - good idea - he doesn't know about my 2 though...so, how valid is the info the register keeps?

lol - RB GT's in hiding - I'll bet there are lots more not registered.

I want one - does that count?