• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB My Project Car 1974 MGB Convertible

74 MGB

Well, my luck finally changed today after my dad telling me that im getting a new project car, a 1974 MGB convertible. Only problem is Its all in peices. It was too good of a deal to pass this car up, so i got it, for a VERY nice price. Since I have never ever put a car together, since im only 17, i do consider that i can do this. Now, since everyone restores these, how hard is it, and is there like a manual out there naming all the parts, and "how to" put together. Everything is new on this car, it just needs putting together, and paint. All the parts are avalible, it just needs putting together. And i know at least 5 people that are either currently rebuilding one, or have done one.

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
While I did start w/ a complete '76 Midget (when I was 18), I did have to pull a number of things apart. The Haynes manual, as well as the various other manuals (Bentley), will provide you with general information about how it goes together. These manuals do not get too specific in many cases ("installation is the reverse of removal", or "attach XXX"-- yeah, that's great, but how?) However, in my experience (because the engine was out of the car for over a year) I found that I couldn't quite figure out where some parts went (lack of photo documentation, of course) ... In my opinion, if you can't get advice here on where those odd parts go, they're not important enough to worry about!
smile.gif

OP

74 MGB

From what I have heard, its simple, and i have already ordered all the manuals i could find (haynes, Chiltons, a DIY restoring guide) i just wish i had a closed grauge to do this all in. But im gonna talk to one of my friends dad that is rebuilding a TR-2 and a TR-4 tomorrow, to see what he thinks, and what help he can provide. I probably need his truck and car trailer to pick her up this week.

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited by: 74 MGB ]</p>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Get back with us from time-to-time over the next couple of years as your 'easy' project progresses....I've an MG Graveyard full of the same 'easy' projects!

Bret

Yoda
Tony,

Don’t go scaring the guy away. I fine the enthusiasm (especially at 17) encouraging and refreshing. While most of this guys’ peers are lured to the dark side (imports), he’s taken the high road and actually taking on a respectable (IMO) hobby.
wink.gif

74 MGB,

First of all, welcome to the group. I’m a firm believe that one can never have a large enough library. Personally I like the Bentley but I also have the Haynes manual too.

I always try to live what I preach. Our next-door neighbor’s son (22) came over to ask me for some help last weekend when he hit a roadblock while doing a “tune-up” on his 99 Chevy S-10 PU. His problem came about when he forgot how to re-connect the plug wires. And like most modern cars the owner’s manual (loose term) or handbooks mentions nothing about the engines’ firing order. The fix was simple - I parked the young man next to me in my 78B and drove him down to the local auto parts store and made him purchase a Haynes manual for his car.

An old collage professor once told me: “Nobody expects you people to remember everything you are taught, but I when you successfully complete my class - you will at least know where to start looking”. Words that have served me well over the years.

Good luck and keep dropping by to let us know how you are doing and if we can be of any assistance?

cheers.gif

DreamCatcher

Freshman Member
One suggestion do all the body work and paint prior to reassembly. It will set the tone for the rest of the project. You will tend to be a bit more careful with all that new paint around, and doing it prior to reassembly means you can paint places that really make a difference (ie engine compartment without wires etc in the way, kick panels, door sills etc.) Please keep us up to date in fact post a picture or two of how it looks now
wink.gif

OP

74 MGB

I can tell ya now I am not a big fan of imports, thats why I drive a 1979 Plymouth Volare. This was an opportunity I couldnt pass up. I was always fasinated by british cars, and how my dad told me of all the ones hes owned, it just made me want one even more. With will power, I hope to have everything 90% done by september. I hope to have everything in order, and paint it in 1-1.5 months. My best friend has a TR-4, as I somewhat mentioned above. This car looks as easy enough to work on, and hearing what I heard about it, its condition, and how the TR-2 is coming along, this seems like a project that I MUST do, or I will never know how. I know where to get parts, I know where I can come to if I need any help, and I have got all the books about it. I just hope the neighbors dont get mad at me for having parts of a car in my carport. Thanks Guys, for everything. And im sure I will be here for a long time.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Another source of information can be vendor catalogs. Many show complete subassembly breakdowns. Lets face it, if they want to sell parts they have to show you where they fit. For Spits the Roadster Factory has an outstanding cat, not sure about MGB (even though I have one). Bob

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
The Moss Motors catalog is fantastic for what your doing. The parts breakdowns of the varrious assemblies in the car saved me many hours of frustration the couple of times I have refurbished MGBs.

OP

74 MGB

Ok, I found the Catalog. I looked through there website, and it made me re-think rebuilding this, i.e. It looks harder than I thought it would be. I hope the car is not COMPLETELY taken apart when I see it today.

[ 04-03-2004: Message edited by: 74 MGB ]</p>

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I wish you luck with your project.....this should be fun. While it looks complicated, the MGB is really pretty straightforward. I can recommend Lindsay Porter's MGB Purchase and Restoration book, but wholeheartedly echo Bret's statement that you can never have too many books on the subject. Think positive, you will be fine. Another youngster joining the LBC hobby too.....this is great!!!

OP

74 MGB

Yeah, that was one of the books I ordered.I swear, this car is amazing. It only needs front end work, the back end is already built. I need to make an engine wiring harness for it (Only 10 wires I believe) and door panels and carpet, since they were dry rotted and beyond repair. There is no rust anywhere, but i did hear the front fender had some, but i know where to get a good one locally. The back is just bare metal, so if i want it to set in my carport, once as i get it, I need to sand and primer it. The engine only has 6k miles on it, and i think so does the tranny. Basically I just need to bolt everything together, and I will have myself a new car. It has a new radiator, new vinyl top, and rear quarter panels. Gosh I swear, Im gonna fall in love with this car once as i get her done
grin.gif

[ 04-03-2004: Message edited by: 74 MGB ]

[ 04-03-2004: Message edited by: 74 MGB ]</p>

DreamCatcher

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Gosh I swear, Im gonna fall in love with this car once as i get her done <hr></blockquote>

We know you will
tongue.gif

Do us a favor .. post a few pictures of how it looks now.. New projects are exciting
smile.gif

-D

[ 04-03-2004: Message edited by: DreamCatcher ]</p>

OP

74 MGB

The guy has to get all the stuff together, so by wednesday It will be here, and Ill take some pics. The engine only has 6K on it, but its been sitting for awhile (2 years), thats the only thing im worried about. It was going to be painted british racing green, but the original color is royale blue. I think I might just go ahead and finish the british racing green color.

G

good luck with the project. As a side note, ensure you use good quality tools for the job. Less chance of stripping bolts, nuts, and gashing your knuckles. please pass on reports on how you are making out. My 17year old son is just starting to rebuild an 88 jeep yj. It however is almost in one piece.

G

74 MGB,

Royale Blue was not an option for the '74 Model year and neither was British Racing Green.

I'm 19 and started my love of Britsh cars at 16 when I got my '74 MGB for $250 + tow in July of 2001. In almost three years about 95% of the car has been gone through. The engine was frozen when I started but got it to break loose. The non-original engine that was in the car was refreshed and used for a year before a spare engine was bought and rebuilt by my father and I. The last remaining job on the car is to rebuild the front end. The car has been my daily driver for the last two years, but its been a "rolling restoration."

My car is a unique shade of British Racing Green. Instead of the yellow tint to the green it has a hint of blue which is noticable at night.

davek.jpg

OP

74 MGB

Yeah, Jeeps are fun to work on, they make good projects. I did talk to Dave last night and it would be easiest and alot better in our opinion if i just complete the BRG color. Since every british car around here is red, a british racing green will make it different, and cooler. I am going to paint the engine bay, and trunk, and most likely the rest of the frame too with a primer, then a basic BRG enamel. For the rest, Im primering that, wet sanding it, putting it on the body, then sending it off to my friends dad, which lives about 4 blocks away, for paint, and he does a darn fine job of a paint job, for a VERY nice price. What im worried about is the front clip, engine mounting, and tranny mounting, but i dont have to worry about all that until I get it painted. I figured since its spring break, ill get all the primer work done now, then when school lets out, Ill do my part of the painting, then send it off. If everything works out, which usually never does, this should become a "rolling resto" by august/september.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the Forum!
driving.gif

I have a very original 74B (in case you can't tell by my handle) and wish you lots of luck!

It sounds like you have an ideal project...the engine and tranny are done...everything else is relatively easy. I am no super mechanic, but have done a lot of jobs on various MGB's over the past 30 years and can tell you from my experince that every thing you need to know is in the Moss catalog, a Hayes and Bentley manuals, and here on this Forum!

I have a couple of good pictures of the engine compartment of an original show car on my computer at home...email me if you would like to seen them...or for any other reason during your project...GOOD LUCK!

Bruce
cheers.gif

[ 04-05-2004: Message edited by: Bruce74B ]</p>

OP

74 MGB

I have recieved soo much offers for offers of help on this project, its awesome. I've got someone thats gonna help me put the engine/tranny in, paint it, and size up the new top. But, Ill end up doing the rest, and asking you guys and consulting my manuals. This is gonna be awesome
grin.gif

JTB

my first LBC was an AH Sprite Mk I in high school then an MGA in grad school and now a B. Nothing you can't get through with what books you have, the knowledge you already have and the help on the BB. I am NO mechanic, believe me, but have done way more than I thought possible with BB help and all the links and web sites. MGBExperience has a lot of links alsol