• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Value of 3000 project car

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
My first post on your forum! I found a '61 3000 roadster yesterday sitting in a barn with a dirt floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The car was parked in '65 when its now deceased owner lost interest in it. It has low miles but due to the poor storage conditions needs everything redone. A bit of rust has shown through and it is sunk into the ground. It is complete. I'm not new to old cars but have no experience with these cars. (Actually I did have a Sprite for a while years ago but that is now just a bad dream.) Needless to say, I love that car. Now emotions aside, what is it worth? I suspect it would cost more to restore than it is worth, but I do all my own work.

Thanks
Steve

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There is a big difference from a "bit of rust" to a lot of rust, especially if the frame itself is quite rusted. If the frame is ok, and most of the panels are ok, perhaps with just rusted floors, doglegs, sills, etc. and figuring that you will have to rebuild/replace the engine, trans, brakes, shocks, springs, wheels, tires, interior, and strip and paint the car, it might be worth $3000-$7000. You will probably put $30K- or more into it, plus lots of time. A picture of the car would help.

Country flag
See Feb 2006 Austin Healey magazine for a timely article by Moment and Anderson. One does these things for love, not the profit. Have a good marrage and large bank account. It probably isn't that bad if you can do alot yourself, considering what entertainment costs today. I restored an XK 140 years ago, ground up, and I think I'd be lucky if I broke even. The satisfaction I got was driving it and getting looks for everyone. That's priceless. The Healey is even better. I started with a "home restored" job and rebuilt it. I got the advantage of all the parts being gathered and a fairly clean and rust free body. I got all the fun CLEAN fun (sort of). Just dive in and have a ball. You will get more help than you can handle here. These guys all all great and have "been there,done that". I love that you will be preserving the marque for future generations instead of it becoming landfill.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Is it a 2 seater or a 4 seater? How many carbs does it have?
It would have to be in seriously poor condition to be not worth restoration, Probably would be worth alot more than what you would think even if it's only for parts. I would
sure like to see some photos. Are the grill bars vertical or Horizonal? Thanks Bob

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If it has been on the ground for a while check the bottom of the frame rails closely. I found mine in exactly the same way barn, dirt floor, sitting for several years. It required one new frame rail and half of another, 4 outriggers,all new floor pans, 2 crossmembers, 2 outer sills 2 inner sills, new trunk floor, new rear springs, engine overhaul, interior, new shocks,new wiring harness and I could go on and on. I do my own work too 1600 sq ft heated shop with 400 sq ft machine shop and every tool you would ever need and it has been a huge job to do it right. I paid 3,000 for the car and have 10,000 in it now. Just because it has low mileage dosen`t mean the engine is any good the soft metal in the bearings deteriorates as it sits. You might drive it 500 miles or so before the oil pressure goes south. I am not pouring water on your parade just trying to let you know what you are getting into. My car was in north Georgia so the weather and dirt are about the same as where you are. Oh yea I have another one in the shop now in the same condition. Just be prepared for the long haul to get it right. This is a great place to find out just how to do it and a lot of great folks to tell you how. Oh yeaI forgot to mention doglegs,carpet,paint at 400 bucks a gallon and one heck of a good wife. Skip

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello smcmanus, welcome to the forum, you're in the right place for any kind of help. As far as what it's worth you cannot put a price on it when it comes to the satisfaction gained from doing it yourself and getting it right or how you want it. If you look close at the car and see a lot of rust don't despair as you will probably be better to spend the money and get a new frame. This will put you so much further "down the road" so as to speak as far as having a good base to start with and may save you some time and effort. One of the best parts of a new frame is you have steel that is not 45 years old before you start and is already straight. With some practice you can learn to repair sheetmetal and become quite good at it, just look at what has been achieved by some of the people on this forum. I have a friend in OZ that bought an early 3000 and it fell apart when it was delivered to him but he is going to put a new frame under it and go from there. When you have a spare hour or so check out his website at www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ Remember you can never ask enough questions. Regards, BUNDYRUM.

OP
S

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to look closer at the car before I make them an offer. It is a 4(?) seater, if you count the little cushions in the back. It is a 2 carb 6 cylinder car with 3000 badges. It has been out of the rain and the floors seem solid and the chrome felt smooth. I don't know if the frame is in contact with the soil but it is sitting low on rotted tires that are sunk into the ground a bit. I'll try to get a good look at the frame. Only one spot of rust through is visible and that is between the rt door opening and the rt rear tire. The rust out is about the size of a dime. Very hard to tell much more about it because it has litterally an inch of dust on it as well as having other stuff piled on it. I've looked at e bay and other places for values; I don't place a whole lot of credit on those sources. The owners want an offer. I don't want to hurt their feeling and I certainly don't want to pay too much.
Thanks
Steve

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In terms of a pure $ decision, they would have to pay you to take the car away. However, having restored a Healey and built a Caterham from kit, if you like me, love the process as well as driving the end result,match that against a few grand upfront for the price of admission, plus the $15-$25K (depends of how much labor you do yourself)to see it safely on road is the real decison
Jay Glass, Laguna Beach

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
I don't want to hurt their feeling and I certainly don't want to pay too much.
Thanks
Steve

[/ QUOTE ] Steve don't worry about hurting their feelings,by the time your done restoring it you won't feel like you stole it! This I know! Go for it if you don't someone will. BlueRidge

Keep the feelings out of it. If you might want it... Offer what you want to pay. If you have to have it... Up that figure a bit. Remember - it's not the only one. They don't come up often, but ther'll be another eventually, not necisarilly in the same shape or at the same price (might not even be the same kind of car) - but ther'll be another one.

My 2¢ worth.

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have to agree with Blue Ridge by the time you are finished you won`t think you stole it I can gurantee you. It isn`t something you do for the money you do it for your self satisfaction. I have restored airplanes for less than I have in my car both in money and time. I have never found anyone to be offended by any offer I have ever made for anything. I politely say that this is what it is worth to me but if it is worth more to the present owner I understand and respect their opinion and perhaps we can come to an understanding. I still say offer them 25 hundred and see what they say. I have had folks try to tell me a pile of junk was a priceless gem and I walked away from the deal but I always was polite to them. I have also gotten some good deals but I have never taken advantage of someone. At 25 hundred you will have 15 thousand in the car when you are finished even doing your own work belive me. I felt like I had gotten a good deal when I bought my car and by the time I was finished I felt like I had attempted to sandpaper a grizzly bears behind inside a phone booth. Skip