• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT New '69 GT Project, '67 donor car?

abbyroad69

Freshman Member
New to the BB. Just purchased a running '69 MGB GT, that needs interior, brake and clutch hydraulics, speedo, some gauges, etc. I'm looking a purchase a '67 MGB GT as a donor car. How differnt are the two models? Mainly getting the '67 for interior and doors and fenders. How different are the barkes, clutch, steering, suspension, etc.?

I'll post some pics in a few days.

I'm used to working on Alfa's so nothing surprises me much about import cars.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
abbyroad69 said:
New to the BB. Just purchased a running '69 MGB GT, that needs interior, brake and clutch hydraulics, speedo, some gauges, etc. I'm looking a purchase a '67 MGB GT as a donor car. How differnt are the two models? Mainly getting the '67 for interior and doors and fenders. How different are the barkes, clutch, steering, suspension, etc.?

I'll post some pics in a few days.

I'm used to working on Alfa's so nothing surprises me much about import cars.

Uh-oh - Doc's got company!

Welcome to the fun. No doubt you'll get lots of info and advice here shortly. Lots of interchange possible between the two models.

One question, though: Is the '67 restorable? It's probably more "desirable" than the '69.

:cheers:
Mickey

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Go '67 :smile:

RickB

Yoda
The 67 is different in some ways, the same in many.
I've had a 69 BGT and now own a 69 CGT and a 70 BGT.
If I had the chance I'd jump at a 67 - to many it was the high point of the cars evolution.

The 69 isn't bad - in fact it is also desirable.

If the 67's body is shot then I can see why you would do it the way you describe, otherwise I think you should reconsider - I would go the other way.

(actually I would spend time trying to figure out how I could save both of them)

OP
A

abbyroad69

Freshman Member
Here's the deal, I purchased the '69 a week ago, then while searching for a donor car, I came across a '67. The '69 has a good engine, recently rebuilt head and carbs, body is so-so, plenty of bondo in the front fenders but just needs to be painted. Interior is gutted. Needs typical work to get back to a runner.

The '67 has no bondo, needs a floor panel welded in, but has no motor, interior is need of typical repair.

Together, both cars cost me about $1400.

The purpose of the car is to do a project with my teenage kids. I'd like to see the car turned into a street/track car, good enough for SCAA time trials, but streetable. Told the wife that a roll bar and race seats would make the car safer amongst today's traffic, and she bought in!! Kids want to paint it purple with orange stripes and a mural of Jimmi Hendrix on the roof? Its their call, they'll be driving it.

Not planned for a restoration/concourse car, so '67 or '69 is a toss up. Which would be better for suspension mods? engine would be stock.

I just wnated to know how different/interchangabe are the parts?

OP
A

abbyroad69

Freshman Member
How about this? Again another search in the local Reno area may net me a '73 MGB convertible for about $200. Is all this stuff on the '73, brakes. clutch, engine, interior, interchangable with the '69 GT?

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Abbyroad69,

Just a little background on the '67 MK I vs 69 MK II MGB-GT...

The last of the MkI GTs were manufactured in late '67. The last MKI GT was S/N (approx) 137795 and rolled off the factory floor sometime in the last quarter of 1967.

The most apparent visual difference between the MKI and MKII is the steel dash (MKI) verses a padded one (MKII)... You will also notice a wider transmission tunnel on the MKII...

The MK II has a full 4 gear syncro and a different,non-banjo transaxle with, <span style="text-decoration: underline">I think</span>, a higher gear ratio than the 3.9/1 in the MK I.

Overall, the engine is pretty much the same with a few changes internally, i.e. pressed wrist pin, etc...that need to be noted when buying parts.

IMHO

If I were to take this on, setting aside the Jimmy Hendrix paint job, etc... I would definiately restore the 67 using the MK II engine and tranny because, well, I just like the MK I and its classic simplicity...

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Once you get a convertible though, you are hooked no matter what year.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
VPING,

AMEN.....I currently have two, make that three, LBCs without a top and will likely never buy a Coupe... Although I have seen an MGA Coupe that I am lusting after..

One more comment... Overall, MOST of the components on the MG are interchagable between the different years... However, there were subtle changes through the years of manufacture with changes occuring in obscure areas of the car...

Therefore.. If you mix and match too much then you will need a catalog of what parts you put where so that, should a repair or rebuild be necessary, you remember what part (and year of that part) went where....

IMHO.. I would suggest that you not take the mix and match too far... :wall:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Based on what you said above, I'd do the '69 as the street/track car, and the '67 as an investment, since it sounds like it can be saved. Still the "most desirable" year, according to many.

Mickey

OP
A

abbyroad69

Freshman Member
Convertibles are not good as street/track cars due to roll bar height (SCCA 3inches above helmet height when sitting), that does not allow the top to close over the bar, plus arm restraints. Same as with Alfa's.

Convertibles are great for purpose built track cars.

Investment cars??? Put $15,000 into the car and it'll be worth $10,000 to the buyer. Seen it too many times.

I'd rather put $3,000 into a daily driver car and actually drive the car instead of the car ending up a garage queen, hoping to make back my investment.

But to each his own. Its a fun little project and the kids are into all the cleaning chemicals.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
abbyroad69 said:
Investment cars??? Put $15,000 into the car and it'll be worth $10,000 to the buyer. Seen it too many times.

Sorry, I was talking personal investment there! The only ones making money on cars as investments are the flippers! :wink:

ronzet

Jedi Knight
So, OK....

The actual ROI for us is in the satisfaction of a job well done regardless of the $$ spent...

Every time I drive my A or my B, which is frequent in this lovely San Diego weather :driving:, I will be waved at, stopped at the gas station by someone who says ' Great Ride!!', asked questions about the car at a stop light, at infinitum...

This is truely a great hobby that brings a smile to many who share the love of these great cars... :thumbsup:

Cheers... :cheers:

:iagree: what he said. :thumbsup:

Country flag
I really get a kick out of the cell phones coming out the windows of the cars as they drive by to take pictures! What a sign of our times, you know?

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Silverghost said:
I really get a kick out of the cell phones coming out...you know?

I know the feeling very well, especially when I'm in the TR3 with my dog Max. He's a great big Boxer and has toured with me since I bought "his" car a couple years ago.

Our favorite ride is down Milledge Ave. here in Athens, GA. Athens is the home of the University of Georgia and Milledge is sorority row. During the winter I can make it through the two miles in a few minutes; on a nice spring day it may take half an hour. Max knows how to pose and is a "chick magnet".

Life is good,

Ray

P1010010small.jpg

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've had a 68 GT stashed for about four years...took a hit on the nose in 73 and has been stored inside ever since. I gave up on fixing it and am stripping it. Took the eng/trans and pickled them...am taking the wires which are perfected and never repainted off..may convert one of my B roadsters to wires...all instrumants and rest of body are perfect.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bro Mickey said:
Uh-oh - Doc's got company!

YAY! More Alfisti! :smirk:

... I'd be all for the '67 no matter WHAT the later car had. The '67 is lower, lighter, simpler. More easily worked on IMO. Interior panels/trim are different between them, I just prefer the toggle switch cars. Aluminum bonnet intact? :thumbsup:

Country flag
Ray, LOVE that picture!! :laugh:

I think the caption should be:

"Where's that Snoopy guy? I'll show him a thing or two!"

And that color interior with that body color is way cool!

RickB

Yoda
All right, now we need some pictures with our dogs in cars.

I've got two Boxer friends as well, and they do get the attention! I'll try and get a picture of them in the car today or tomorrow - this will be great!

Probably best in the Midget with the top down!

Here they are when Thatcher was only about 6 months.
He is now much larger than the white female (his half sister & aunt) - he weighs in at about 85 pounds now.

dogs9.jpg