• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Wiring harness female bullet connectors

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Strange question...I'm rebuilding 2 67 TR4a wiring harnesses and one came with the standard black rubber female connectors, single and double and the other came with grey silicone rubber connectors. I don't know if the grey ones are earlier or later or just different, but my 1960 Bugeye came with black as did the 1973 Midget and 1970 MGB. Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There's a comment in Piggott to the effect that different suppliers were used for the harness, more or less at random. My guess is that you're seeing the effects of that.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My 64 TR4 with its original harness is 100% grey connectors. Not just the bullet connectors but also the covers over the Lucars (female spade connects). I don't know that they are silicone - I would have just called them 'rubber'.

Was a short lived thing I think though I was ale to get a cheap hacked harness to have some spares.

I have also encountered that bullet connector in white - no idea who used those.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Randall,
Thanks, I missed that. That said I did notice that the wrapping and the tape used on the bifurcations were different as well as some of the branching points along the main harness. I've cleaned everything really well to reveal the true color of the wires and soldered new wires of the same color and gauge to the mouse eaten ends...the soldered wires were covered in shrink wrap tubing and will be wrapped with the proper outer wrap material once everything is tested.
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
My 64 TR4 with its original harness is 100% grey connectors. Not just the bullet connectors but also the covers over the Lucars (female spade connects). I don't know that they are silicone - I would have just called them 'rubber'.

Was a short lived thing I think though I was ale to get a cheap hacked harness to have some spares.

I have also encountered that bullet connector in white - no idea who used those.
George,
I may be wrong on my terminology, but I also have the grey Lucar connectors and they appear to be more of a plastic than silicone...also have the clear spade covers.
Thanks, Rut

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I do not know the material but yes, there are some clear ones on a couple of sub-harnesses (brake lights in this pic):

Grey_zpsxws49jev.jpg

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
On my 62 TR4 all the female bullet connectors have black rubber covers and all the spade connectors have clear boots.

Not sure if the clear spade connector boots were originally a clear golden/brown-ish color or whether it is because they are 54 years old.