• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Tach and Speed inner gaskets

Zitch

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have my dash apart and was cleaning the inside of the Speedo and Tach Glass. I noticed the inner glass gasket is cracked and falling apart.

Has anyone tried just a generic gasket about the same size from McMaster-Car?

I hear some gauge companies sell them at crazy prices but......

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5288t291/=12r75i1

wonder if this would work? $8 for 25, if it does I'll have some spares.

5288t291l.gif

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO something that hard is going to make it really tough to get the bezel back on. You need something that can compress under the meager force you can apply.

I found some very soft tubing that worked well for me. Sorry, I don't have the details handy.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I use a black strip caulk by 3M and roll it with my hands into an "o ring". It can be trimmed with a razor blade after installing the glass and bezel.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe similar to what Brinkerhoff used, I just got some "rope caulk" at the local hardware store to replace a missing taillight seal on another car, basically a putty on a roll somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" in diameter, it can be combined to make thicker, or rolled and stretched to make thinner. Tacky but not gooey, it would be easy to make into a compressible seal for the instruments I would think, stays soft and malleable. Wish I had tried it sooner seems like a viable option for many gasket and sealing issues where not exposed to engine heat or fluids. Only a few bucks.

OP
Zitch

Zitch

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've used that 3m caulk rope on taillights. That is not something I want on the inside of my gauges. I'll keep looking for a softer gasket or try some smaller tubing like TR3 driver suggested

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I got some 3mm and 4mm sponge seal from eBay, exactly the right thing for the job. Comes from UK, but very quick.
You don't want caulk!

dklawson

Yoda
As Randall said, you really don't want anything rigid like the backup ring at McMaster.

I have used window screen spline from the home center. There are several different sizes to pick from. Lowes and Home Depot don't always carry the same sizes and that gives you even more to pick from. The spline is tubular and compliant so it will fit between the glass and bezel.

You can also buy foam cord from various U.S. and U.K. sources. I have purchased it from Auto Electrical Spares in the U.K. A link is below but this is just for one size. I believe they have a couple of different diameters.
https://www.autoelectricalspares.co...rd-seal-x-1-meter-for-smiths-bezel-1294-p.asp

Auto Electrical Spares also sells some of the bezels and glass which might help you justify ordering from Europe.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
As Randall said, you really don't want anything rigid like the backup ring at McMaster.

I have used window screen spline from the home center. There are several different sizes to pick from. Lowes and Home Depot don't always carry the same sizes and that gives you even more to pick from. The spline is tubular and compliant so it will fit between the glass and bezel.

You can also buy foam cord from various U.S. and U.K. sources. I have purchased it from Auto Electrical Spares in the U.K. A link is below but this is just for one size. I believe they have a couple of different diameters.
https://www.autoelectricalspares.co...rd-seal-x-1-meter-for-smiths-bezel-1294-p.asp

Auto Electrical Spares also sells some of the bezels and glass which might help you justify ordering from Europe.

That's who I used. Good shop!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That looks like it...a very soft foam that you cut to length. Better price than nisongers too!

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
As I wrote above, they also sell a 4mm size, which fits better on larger instruments.

OP
Zitch

Zitch

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
However there are 2 gaskets on the glass. One toward the bezel and one toward the metal inner ring that looks like a paper gasket.

The gasket that was in the V of the chrome bezel has crumbled away and looked to be a caulk of some type. The other inner paper gasket is intact.

8602B86F-45AB-4E86-B322-6F20C85E5C11_zpsqkslilme.jpg

OK I see you can where you can use the caulk now or the 4mm foam.

But that inner paper gasket between the inner bezel and the glass is that available or does one have to cut out of paper gasket?

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I made the rings from heavy construction paper and a circle cutter.

I echo the advice for Auto Electrical. I just ordered the flat o-rings that go between gauge and panel, as well as some foam cord to go between bezel and glass. (Note, the o-ring from Moss actually works decently well between bezel and glass for the speedo and tach, but does require some "futzing" to get it in place, as the or-ring diameter is a little too small.) The Moss o-rings are supposed to go between gauge and dashboard, but I found them to be quite thick, and make the gauge stand proud. I'll see how the Auto Electrical parts compare, and will report back.

I also ordered two of the "shovel" clamps to hold on the speedo and tach that were missing when I disassembled the dash. Expensive - $15 each, plus shipping! (Sourced from Anglo Parts, https://www.angloparts.com - no financial interest, etc.) I could not find these supplied anywhere else, except on ebay, at similar prices.