• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who Likes a Triumph Anyway [and why]?

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm trying to figure out if my Triumph snagged me for the same reasons it snagged all of you. What's so great about it? Classic British? Got to be more than that. It certainly isn't safety. And it isn't convenience. Maybe simplicity. It isn't "value," as we'll spend more fixin' them up than we'll sell them for. So, what's the deal?

Attachments

• 102774-triumph.jpg
    102774-triumph.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 347

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Maybe it's because we can do the whole thing and end up with want we would like to think of as "a car I created with my own hands." ORRRR, if you drop at wrench it goes to the floor. Wayne

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
For me it's simple, LBC's take me back to my birthplace at what seems in retrospect to be a simpler, less complicated time.
Oh, all that plus they look great and turn lots of heads!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
When I was a little guy I had toy cars and model cars that I wished I could fit into and drive. My favorite of those were the TR3s. Finally got my wish.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
I always loved LBCs. SO much flavor and character. I never actually drove or rode in one as a youngin (I'm 30). However, in the era of 80s blackout chrome and aero design, the sight of an MG or a Jaguar was sure to turn my head. I always wanted a B or a TR6 really, but this TR250 was given to me. I am learning to be a Triumph enthusiasts, with my first parts order from the Roadster Factory, I bought a Triumph t-shirt. Show pride for my tribe, since the car won't be on the road for awhile. Besides a 250 is far more interesting than a "B" anyday....

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I wanted a Bug Eye years ago. Then I owned an Austin Healy and MGB. I thought Triumphs were OK. Then... I traded a rusted MGB for Spitfire. At the time the Triumph clinb members were less catty, easier to get along with. So it was as much about the people with Triumphs as the cars themselves. T.T.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Pure un-adulterated mechanics. Theres not a ton of stupid stuff added on because the customers thought seeing a fastener or hearing a noise was a sign of inferior quality. It's easy to understand everything about them. usually just as easy to tinker with. It's the basic essence of the open road.I feel like a WWII fighter pilot whenever I drive it. They handle crisper than most other vintage cars, get better gas mileage than most other vintage cars. They are small ,fun, and they look cool.And my favorite part: They are considered odd by the mainstream musclecar nuts.
I could write a book here, but that's my "car show" answer.

mlarnoldTR6

16 years old. The The lucky S.O.B. kid down the block who's dad can afford to buy his kid a car. The deep throaty exhaust note. The shear feeling of speed and power. American coupes and roadsters are commonplace, Japanese cars are just that. It took 30 years to finally get one and I'm 16 again. I can drive it and fix it. No one hates you because you're driving some outrageously expensive toy. It is a classic design. I hope this explains it.

machinemd

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'll 2nd Banjo. I love my long term Spitfire..simple, handles like a go cart, just pure fun. The jury is still out on my new-to-me TR6. I love the extra power but tinkering with it is more work than fun. And both actually have character and personality, which is lacking in the bland, generic modern offerings

vrod

Sure changes the experience of going from point A to point B. These cars offer a sense of adventure, being different from everyone else. I finding my self allways wanting to go the longest route to any destination, just going out for a long drive for the cheer enjoyment of the experience, something I wouldn't even consider with my every day transportation. My buddies have MG's, Triumphs, TVR's, and home built Lotus sevens. These cars have created friendships and provided the means to meet some pretty cool people. The reasons go on and on and.............

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There's nothing like driving a twisty mountain road with the wind in your hair, listening to that deep throaty exhaust. So unlike the rice rockets with their watermellon shooters (sounds like my lawn mower, unmuffled). The spider turns heads, draws comments, and even an unsolicited buy offer now and then. Just pure, unadulterated fun.

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Reminds me of younger days, when I lived in Miami and a British gentleman I knew tooled around Miami in is TR6. Thought it was cool, loved the way it "squatted" when taking off from a light, and just a good reminder of fun times...

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I love cars...pure automobiles..I love to work on them, but most of all I like to drive them! That means without any stability control telling me that the rear end is sliding out....or how I should drive.
Triumphs were the sports car toys I had as a kid...and as an adult they are also my toy of choice.

trboost

Jedi Trainee
What other car could use a flat piece of wood for a dash & still look so cooool !!! The Triumph mark was deisigned & manufactured as an upper entry level sports car for people whol like ro drive, I don't think that's changed a bit.
Gotta love'm

Eric

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
ORRRR, if you drop at wrench it goes to the floor. Wayne

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you've never worked on an XJ12........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I swear there were some wrenches I dropped that disappeared into a parallel universe!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
My elementary school friend's dad had a beautiful red TR6. Then when I was in high school, I went to a car auction with my dad and another friend, and there were a couple TR4s and TR3s. I thought they were so cool - it was the first time I'd ever seen a TR3.

After college, I moved back to Seattle and started working with a guy who'd buy cars, fix 'em up and ship them to Germany for profit. Triumph were very big at this time in the export market, so I got very interested in the TRs again. This was the time I was thinking about getting a fun car for myself.

Most importantly, when I started looking at cars, Triumphs were one of the few cars I could fit in being 6'4".

I looked at buying a TR4 in Seattle, but I decided against it at the last minute.

Finally, now married and living in Houston, I bought a TR-250. It was a total pain to keep running, but I absolutely loved the grunt, and the sense of speed.

When I sold my 250, then got my first 3, I was hooked permanently. Such unique looks, great sound (I'd set off car alarms with the exhaust note in the parking garages,) and amazing sense of speed.

It's not that I'm only a Triumph guy. I love all types of cars. Triumphs are simply affordable fun cars that make you feel great when you drive them (like the nearly 50 miles I put on my 3 yesterday.)

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
My experiences with Triumphs goes back to 1965 when I bought a '63 TR4. It was my first sports car, and I really liked the no-nonsense approach they had for building cars. I liked everything about the car. The way it looked, the way it handled, the ease of repair, and the miles of smiles it gave me. Since then I've had many TR's, but have only one at the moment that is going through a frame off resto. A TR-3B. These cars are not sophisticated, but they are robust and a lot of fun.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I pretty much agree with all the sentiments.By the way another cool flat wood dash, on my old Lyman boat. Steering wheel, lite switch, horn, cigar lighter. Solid mahogany. Can't wait to watch her sink again this year. A fun day for my wife and I is driving my 58TR3 to the lake to tool around in my 58 Lyman.Fun going,fun there, fun going home. Sleep soundly at night.I wish I could put a hitch on the TR3, I would love to take the combo to a car show.