• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

She likes to Shimmy!!

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
I have finished replacing the front suspension by installing the Moss major kit on my 74 Midget. I replaced the control arms and installed a 3/4 sway bar. She handles great. One little issue that maybe some of you have had and hopefully solved. Everything is great until I get to about 60 MPH. Then I start to get a shimmy until I hit 70 MPH. I am going to have the alignment checked this weekend and I know the tires/rims are balanced. What else should I look at while the Big O Tires guys check my alignment? I can adjust the toe in/out but I am not sure how to adjust the camber.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
My guess is the toe-in is not right. Do you have wire wheels?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good luck on finding someone that knows how to fix the towin with out a special peice of equipment. Our cars are very narrow.

Check the archives for adjusting tow in your self.

Country flag
No camber adjustment. I suspect a tire is out of balance. What type of rims?

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
I have alloy wheels.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Tie rods are good? I'd agree about checking / adjusting toe-in yourself.

Usually when it's just in a certain range like that, it's usually wheels / tires...

bugimike

Yoda
The very first thing I would check is tire balance! Loose/worn tie-rod ends would be the next thing to check! A shimmy between specific speed ranges like that could very well be wheel alignment (toe-in/toe-out) which can be measured and checked with a tape-measure and string and brought at least close to spec. with tie-rod adjustments!!

PS: Don't forget to check the tires themselves (see vid. below!)!!!

https://rvvideos.blogspot.com/2008/07/your-new-car-or-rv-tires-could-kill-you.html

V

vagt6

What Mike said (Mike knows his stuff).

Easiest, cheapest solutions first: take your wheels to a tire shop, have them spin balanced. Tires or rims could be out of balance, maybe both.

Then, look at your universal joint and or propshaft. Make sure the joint is tight, and view the propshaft while it's spinning (carefully, with the rear wheels off the ground).

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be a cheap solution?

Let us know . . .

H

highhilleer

You could swap the position of the tires. If you have a tire balance problem the shimmy feel should change.