• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's wrong with my TR4a?

AZTR4a67

Hello all, Bill here in AZ with a new (to me) 67TR4a with IRS. But all of that is speculative! I've been lurking for a while and scouring the web for pics of Triumphs and I've noticed sever inconsistencies with my car.

First, I see it has the wrong grille. The one that came w the car is for a TR4, not an A.the bumper is also lacks the bumper guards.

Next, I see that it does not have the fender mounted lights and traditional chrome strip that runs along the edge of the fender to the doors.

I also see that it has the 3 snaps on the door that would hold the canvas cover normally seen on a convertible. My car is a targa, not a convertible.

then, (not seen in the pics) it has bucket seats w headrests. Don't know if that was an option on this car, but I don't see pics of other 67's with headrests. Neither Moss nor British Victoria show seats like theses for my car.

Commision number:CTC73712L
Engine:CT60884E
Body:74173CT

I have heard there is also a number on the differential, but I have not crawled under there yet.

I know what the Commision number means, but are the other numbers right?

anyway, any thoughts, ideas, questions are welcome. All the best

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, as you know these are old cars and they have often gone through the hands of many owners, and when they were daily drivers back in the day, often modified or fixed with whatever is handy, which might be parts from an older or newer car. The lack of a side stripe and sidelights was probably done out of expediency or personal taste in a prior repaint, maybe some of the parts were damaged, and at the time not available, so not replaced. Best guess on the headrest seats is that they came from a TR6, though they could have come from other cars as well, once again either a prior owner thought they would be more comfortable, or the old seats were ripped up, and someone was parting out a TR6 with good seats and they got them cheap. You might also post this question to the Triumph forum, pics would be helpful and satisfy our curiosity.

OP
A

AZTR4a67

Thanks for the reply. I put some pics in my "album" but it would make more sense for me to put them in the thread. You're right about the seats, they look like TR6 seats. NBD, but time and money to fix. The lack of side lights and chrome makes me nervous about this car. It doesn't look reprinted, but it has been worked on. I can see overspray of red on the rear bumper brackets telling me they are not stock and the passengers side door doesn't close properly. I can see where someone pounded the metal in on the b pillar to try and make the door fit. Maybe front end damage from a wreck? Maybe bent frame?

Just so many mysteries about this one. It is is such poor condition that I don't even know where to begin :-(

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Bill,

"Welcome" to "THEE" best LBC Forum anywhere.

As mentioned; "PICS" are a 1000 words. If you have`nt as of yet; Post them in the "Triumph Forum" and I`m certain you`ll get a ton of answers / help with your TR.

The seats obviously are perhaps from a TR6. The Fenders may be from an early "TR4" that would`nt have the side marker lights; Which I feel look pretty cool (I had a `66 TR4a IRS). Are those fenders "F`glass" by any chance????

Best Wishes,

Russ

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the forum! As you are asking some specific technical questions regarding your TR I am moving this thread to the Triumph forum.

Basil

Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!