• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I dont know if this is really cool or really wrong

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That looks like something out an early 50's hot rod movie. A lot like the work done on the 47 Chevies and 49 Merc's in the movie High School Confidential with the closed up quarter windows and decked front & rear end without any bumpers.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Brosky said:
That looks like something out an early 50's hot rod movie. A lot like the work done on the 47 Chevies and 49 Merc's in the movie High School Confidential with the closed up quarter windows and decked front & rear end without any bumpers.

But why a targa top? It would make more sense to follow the traditional hot rodders way and chop the top, lowering it a few inches... ...whats sad is when they lower it too much and have to cut a hole in the roof for the driver. Sure would look cooler chopped though. Theres already so little head room as it is. Thats probably why he went with the targa idea.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Maybe he wants to look like the character "Jaws" in James Bond movies who rode around in the Lincoln Continentals with his head sticking out of the sun roof?

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
I close my eyes and try to shake those nightmare images from my head. Obviously this individual knows absolutely nothing about chassis design, suspension design, and many other things. I won't even go into what has been done to the front end. Someone didn't keep very good quality control of the moonshine they were drinking because i think all brain cells are dead.
R

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is all I have to say......

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Re: I dont know if this is really cool or really w

I dunno, I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Probly started off with all these idea's in his head about being the next George Barris.

There's an awful lot of work there.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

71MKIV said:

Probably started off with all these idea's in his head about being the next George Barris.

I agree actually - while not to my taste after starting to learn how to do body work I find myself admiring all sorts of modifications now, if only for the skills involved.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior

tdskip said:
71MKIV said:

Probably started off with all these idea's in his head about being the next George Barris.

I agree actually - while not to my taste after starting to learn how to do body work I find myself admiring all sorts of modifications now, if only for the skills involved.

I agree with the both of you. I think had the project been finished, it would be admired by a lot more people. After all, only 10% of the car is a triumph... ...its not like someone crammed a chevy block in an original GT6.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
...It would make more sense to follow the traditional hot rodders way and chop the top, lowering it a few inches...

A chopped TR can look very good. This example from a prior Triumphest really looked nicely done to me:

chop-tr.JPG

D

Deleted member 8987

Holy Carp (avoid having post "modified", eh?)

I've seen some real garbage in my life, but this one is bad.
Really looks like 2X4's screwed together and painted.
The lower front control arm shafts are unsupported at the ends, by almost 1/4 their length, first tap on a curb and TWEAK!
Upper A-arm supports too thin and not even gussetted...open box construction.
Hard braking from 80 might do some serious trapezoid action.

Rear frame "kick" has zero support.
All the heim-end 4-links are connected to the upright, all acceleration, braking, and weight will transfer directly to that 90-degree joint.

Why chain down the rear axle?
Was that a "test" of the air bags?

Anybody see any shock absorbers or mounts for same?

I didn't see any extra gussets for the brake m/c and booster.....looks like it's on sheet metal.
First time neighbor's dog runs out in front of him and he nails the brakes, that unit will be about 2" further forward than it is now.

Motor mounts are "special".......tag welded on top of the rail, with no gusset supports below.

All the weight and torque on the forward frame rails go to the "kick" at the firewall......and one thin gusset per side?

Man.

TRED

Jedi Hopeful
Throw a 500" Caddy with twin turbos in that thing and hold on. A few gussets a nice cage and the adrenaline pump would be working overtime. But I don't like the top. If a car is very rare I wouldn't cut it up, but then again I wouldn't own it either, because I like to use my cars and run them hard.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Looks, yes, as long as you're a midget. My 6'2" frame won't fit in a chopped top triumph.
Rob