• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB WANTED,windshield &frame for mgb

rampant

Anyone here have a good windshield with no fog in corners and frame for a79mgb. fixing to bite the bullet and change out the old one.Any recomendations welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Get a friend, some bailing rope, a couple ratcheting clamps... And read everything about it on here... that you can!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wow kenny... thought you were gonna tell him to go lynch the injuneer that came up with the windshield frame and mounting system for our Bs.... boy am I glad I read the whole thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If the old one has a good looking frame, I'd get a new glass, a new seal and rebuild it. You'd be much better off. Two people can put a new windshield together with not much that trouble. (I mean it, not that much trouble). A little silicone spray will help slide the rubber in the frame and with a little patience you'll surprise yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
A couple of years ago I had two of my MGBs stripped down and the hubby and I swore to each other we would never take apart and put back together another windshield frame. It's an experience but can be done.

As for your question: I know a guy who has scores of windshields and frames at his shop and his prices are very reasonable. He is in Roanoke,Va and you are in Alabama. Should you want his telephone number just email me @ mgb_nut@earth.net /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've fussed with and owned MG's all my adult life and worked on 'em for a living... I've said it before, here it comes again: I'd rather do three clutch replacements than a full windshield replacement job. Doing it alone is like wrasslin' a python. Good proceedures and pounds o' patience are prerequisites. OH! A word in yer ear: MacGregor's (Ontario, Canada-- I've no affiliation) seals are far better than the "usual suspects" supply. Reduce the "aggro factor" and use 'em.

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Last year, at the tail end of my major restoration work I ended up replacing 9 windshields.

The first I cracked due to impatience, or, as my Brazilian friend told me,.I was like " a bull in Chinatown" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The second cracked in the bodyshop, waiting to be put back on the car.

The third I had put into the frame at a glass shop,..they did it wrong, I fixed it. This windshield actually survived being mounted to the car.

Windshields 3-8 suffered mind boggling stress fractures.
I'd get the car from the glass shop,..drive it all day, park it in the driveway. The next morning I'd wake to find it cracked. It ended up being a variance in the body, where the DPO had been in an accident. Some front-end shims filled the gap and made Windshield 9 a success /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's what I learned:

I never, ever want to do another windshield.

Buying the glass and seals was over $150. and it took a good 4 hours to finish.

A good glass shop charged me $275.00 for the whole job.
And they did a great job.

I would have paid twice that to save some grey hairs.

Ask around your local MG Club,..find out who they use and use them. You'll be much happier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
R

rampant

Jerry, thats my trouble right now, no glass shop wants to tackle it. so im trying to find one thats aready together.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heh... "The WORD is Out." MGB's.... Go Fish!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
and it's all JerryRosa's fault... his glass guy got on the horn and infromed all glass shops world wide!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The RAT!!!

"First thing we do, is kill all the...."

GLASS GUYS!

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
hmmm,.rampant,...in my windshield mania, I basically bought every windshield frame I could find,..tomorrow morning I'll check the storage shed,..pretty sure I have one all assembled,..I'll check quality and let you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They're Masters of Voodoo, Jerry. Pass their cards out!

Now we all have to go to Massachuzetz to get our windshields done

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
lol Kenny,....but Boston is fun,..you can stop by,..pay some taxes, get cut off by everyone else on the road, meet a Kennedy. It's a laugh a minute here :p

This is way off topic ,..but when I was in college, I worked as a bartender at the Harvard Club. I once worked the bar in the squash club. I had to serve Ted Kennedy gin and tonics in the locker room,..he was changing.

I will forever have the image of naked, drunk, bloaty Ted Kennedy burned into my brain.

I still have nightmares /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And you're KIND enuff to SHARE 'em with the rest of us now... Thanks a boatload, Jerry. I hope you're happy now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif