• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Valve Timing Theory

I have a couple of questions on timing theory. Hope someone can set me straight. I do not need to know how to time them, there are lots of threads on that. I would like to discuss valve events and the results of (mis-timing)moving the timing one way or the other.

Lets suppose i have a kent cam (th2), the intake timing at full lift is 108Ā° ATDC.

what would the effects to performance and the engine be if say it was set at about 90Ā° ATDC? Obviously performance would be lost- but what other effects would be seen? such as would it run rich- or lean? would it run at all? Would ignition timing have to be advanced to compensate? Other thoughts?

mark

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
You need to talk to Charlie Tolman In Mpls. You can find him at sprite spot He can tell you all you need to know about cams and timming.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
My Desktop Dyno says HP/Tq would go from about 80/87 to 67/71. That's a 15% loss in power. Granted, this is just a computer program and obviously it can't say anything about rich/lean, timing or runability. The program always "assumes" ideal A/F ratio and ideal ignition timing.

I can say from my personal experience however that when you install a timing chain set and you get off by ONE TOOTH, the car is still driveable, even some pep, but none of the dig-down-deep, get-up-and-go. I drove my car for months with the timing off by one tooth. I want to say that I had to really richen up the mixture to compensate. I never changed the timing however.

JACK

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
The PO had my Opel's 2,0 cam off by one tooth too (or it slipped). I managed to massage it back to good. Hard to tune that way.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
KVH General Tech Valve Timing--No Marks Triumph 20
B TR4/4A New valve gears/timing Triumph 21
KVH General Tech Timing and Valve Tuning--with a plastic fan Triumph 4
Q TR2/3/3A Valve Timing Question!! Triumph 5
Rut timing, cams, valve adjustment Spridgets 6
PatGalvin Flattening Valve Covers, Oil Sumps, Timing Covers Triumph 4
wkilleffer MGB Questions about timing and valve lash on a 74 MGB MG 13
S Valve timing Austin Healey 71
sim looking for 2 valve spring kippers for a 948 Spridgets 3
R Valve Drain Pipe Austin Healey 13
R T-Series Valve gap for an MGTD 1953. MG 5
6 Valve Oil Seals Spridgets 10
K TR2/3/3A Cylinder head removal and valve adjustment Triumph 2
P TVR Big Valve 4.3 TVR 0
Erica General MG Oil Drain Valve -- mine is an MGB, but they have others MG 3
J MGB BRAKE VALVE ? MG 11
jehuie PCV valve explanation? British Motor Corp 5
R 3000 Heater Valve Austin Healey 4
T TR2/3/3A valve springs Triumph 15
kodpkd For Sale Alloy valve cover for AH 100-6 3000 PRICE DROP! Austin Healey Classifieds 1
T TR2/3/3A valve guides and piston clearance Triumph 6
kodpkd Valve Cover Gasket - Don't do this! Austin Healey 14
KVH General Tech Heater control valve/cable Triumph 1
G Valve Train Lubrication Austin Healey 1
newmexTR3 For Sale TR2-4 performance valve springs, collars, exhaust seats, cotters Triumph Classifieds 0
D Water Valve Connection Austin Healey 4
R TR2/3/3A Rule 9 Valve Adjustment Triumph 8
RJS General TR Lever Shock - HD Shock Valve Triumph 2
JPSmit Product Review - air compressor drain valve. Harbor Freight Restoration & Tools 9
M TR5/TR250 Bypass valve Triumph 27
I Bugeye valve rebuild suggestions Spridgets 8
G Valve Cover Gasket Silicone Adhesive Austin Healey 5
J Oil Pressure Relief Valve Austin Healey 3
K TR2/3/3A An alternate valve adjusting sequence? Triumph 3
K TR2/3/3A Camshafts and Valve Settings Conundrum? Triumph 7
charlie74 TR6 ā€˜74 valve springs Triumph 0
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A What type of valve to use when rebuilding the head? Triumph 10
tj_tr3_tr6 TR4/4A looking for Machine Shop TR4 Valve Job Ventura - Los Angeles area Triumph 4
M TR6 PDWA valve Triumph 6
M Ray Juncal Valve Covers Austin Healey 5
M 1973 TR6 oil and filter changed - oil shooting out from high pressure valve? Triumph 15
BillyB62 TR2/3/3A Anyone seen a valve cover like this Triumph 0
alexisrexx TR6 Oil Sludge in Valve Cover - Normal? Triumph 16
K TR2/3/3A Brake Restrictor valve? Triumph 9
Lin Heater water valve question Spridgets 2
D MGB MBG valve clearance MG 1
K TR2/3/3A Finding valve lash with cam specs? Triumph 8
A T-Series MGTD oil pump bypass valve MG 0
S Price check on TR3A valve cover Triumph Classifieds 0
H BJ8 Heater Valve/Control Tap Austin Healey 3