• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Up-date on the MK1 Cortina project

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Update on the MK1 Cortina project

Well for those of you who remember that I started fixing up a MK1 Cortina here is an update..

After much e-mailing people who know way more than I do, the vented disc conversion is complete. Bottom line was that my early disc brake hubs just wouldn't work, so I had to go to Capri hubs ( not easy to find any more, that's for sure..).

I finally got all my front end steering and suspension parts ( been the better part of 7 months waiting for people to ship..) so the adjustable coils etc are are built and installed.

My rear suspension is all done including my way cool looking sway bar. Brakes are just waiting for a new rear hose then they can be bled and finished with..

I couldn't find a new rubber floor covering for the interier, but mine was in decent shape so I vinyl dyed it ( blue to match my interier..) Turned out very well, and the int just needs belts installed ( no belts came with the car standard, cause it's a 63..)

I picked up a way cool set of quick release lap belts off e-bay, but they still need to be mounted. The seats are done, and can be mounted after the belts go in. The engine compartment and inside and under the car are done and painted, but I need to roll the car outside to do the rest of the bodywork. ( I can't even open my pass door in the garage..)

My Ford RS wheels from England are now restored to at least nice street car condition. They really need to be re-machined to get them any better now, but after purchase and shipping I'm into them for about a grand, so that will have to wait for a future budget infusion.

A GT steering box is in which required some modification, as it is shorter than the original one ( who would have thought!! )The column jacket on the early cars is quite different than the later ones, and had to be trimmed and new mounts to the column shaft made up. Now I find that my Lotus wheel on the shaft is too close to the signal switch, so I need to make a spacer. It's always something!

I am just waiting for the proper wheel nuts to arrive from overseas and then I can put em on and drop the car and make some room to start putting the BDA together and in.

Car should be on the road in a few weeks ( not painted mind you.. and with the stock motor first to sort out the car a bit..)

All good fun. I tried to resurrect the Elan this weekend.. It's been sitting in the backyard under a tent all winter. Started fine, but the clutch is frozen! I tried to release it running around my backyard, but to no avail. I'll have to insure the car and get it on the street to break it free. Of course I will rebleed the cyl just to be sure, but the pedal is a nice firm stroke all the way down, so there doesn't feel like any air in there..

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Update on the MK1 Cortina project

Congrats!

Hope the Cortina progress keeps going well, now if only I'd hurry up with my Cortina...
rolleyes.gif
the story behind that is a long story. Current goal is to get it on the road in time for the car show in town here on the Victoria Day long weekend on May 23rd.

And oh yeah... if you want another Viva GT/Envoy Epic GT to restore, I know of a couple of them here in Calgary up for grabs
devilgrin.gif
Package deal, pick up two of them...

V

vagt6

Hey TypeR, could you please give us some photos of your Cortina? Lots of folks down here haven't seen too many Cortinas and it would be great to take a look.

Thanks!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

Here's a picture of his Cortina from Members Rides, I believe the picture was shortly after he purchased it.

Cortina%20side.jpg

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Good luck!

There's at least one picture of the Grassroots $2004 Mk 1 Cortina here:

https://www.photo-jo.com/events/grm2004/grm20043.html

Our Mk 2 is getting ready for the race season.....it is basically a gutted race car with a stock power train....a very sedate and "tossable" car.

I remember "unsticking" a clutch in a FIAT by driving around in first gear floored, dragging the hand brake with the clutch all the way down until the disk finally broke free.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

Off the Cortina topic for a moment, just saw the first pictures today of a 1965 Vauxhall Viva race car, being set up by a member of my Vauxhall group in southern Ontario. I believe the engine is set up for Viva SL90 specs for a little more performance over base model. He plans to have it ready for this upcoming racing season. The picture is in the link below on second page.

https://community.webshots.com/album/131431271svnfNg/

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior

That's a pretty early Epic, I would have guessed it as a Victor. Don't tempt me with Epic or Viva GT's, my wife would ( justifiably so ) shoot me dead if I brought anotheproject car home. I would post some pics of the car and the cool stuff about it, but I am illiterate with computers and don't know how to post stuff...

My belts are in now, and the int. is done. Brakes are bled, clutch rod made, handy dandy Jim Bob exhaust from bits and pieces laying around is done. ( It's getting a nice system when the BD goes in..)

I got my wheel nuts finally, and the RS wheels look fab on the car. Now that it's on the ground, I got to try the suspension travel, or I should say lack of suspension travel. I've got Integra Type R springs in front, with sensatrac Monroe gas shocks all around. i knew the front would be plenty stiff, but I'm surprised the rear is so stiff as well.. I may drive this a bit and change things around if I can't keep the tires on the pavement.

Engine is in and all hooked up now, so really I just need to add fluids and go. After so much time getting stuff rebuilt or bought, the final assembly only took a couple of days!

I'll let you know how it goes.. Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement..Mark

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

I recognise that colour!! Ford Ambassador Blue. I had a 105E Anglia in the same colour. Those Vauxhall pictures always make me smile Sherlock, those photo albums are a nice resource, especially if one were to restore one of these oddballs.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

I just realized I had a few pics of our 'tina posted. The side shot is at Lime Rock and the "follow shot" is at BeaveRun (and was clipped from my on-board VHS cammcorder using a video capture card).

cortina_limerock.jpg

cortina_beaverun.jpg

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior

Nice MK2.. A friend of mine out here has a nice MK2 as well, that is only a track car ( Alan Macol). He is running with a lotus twink but it's not a locort. Nice looking car though.

I drove the Cortina around the block today ( no insurance for a longer run.) Took me quite a while to clean up the reg and generator to get the charging to work. After having everything apart inc new brushes in the generator, I still was getting a voltage DROP (!) when I revved it...

After trying and playing with two regulators and blowing 9 fuses ( good thing they are cheap! ) my final desperate ploy was to spray WD40 into the running generator incase some junk got onto a contact somewhere. I had polished off the armature so wasn't expecting much, but BINGO! Charge voltage jumped to 13.1 at fast idle, and just over 14 at speed! Could have saved myself a few hours work if I had know that would work..

Car runs awsome with the original 1500 non x-flow.. no oil burning at all out the back, pretty good power for what it is. Handling is kind of like a roller skate, not too stiff at all. brakes work just fine too..

Funny thing was on start up all the packing in the new but 20 year old muffler came spitting out the tail pipe! My buddy almost died laughing!

She's got a pretty mean rasp to the exhaust note now!

I can't wait to insure it and terrorize the mopeds around town..
smile.gif