• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn Signal Question Up-date Success Thanks Randall

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Turn Signal Question Update Success Thanks Randall

Take one of these:

https://autolumination.com/otherleds.htm

(scroll down to E10 Screw Base 4 Led Focused Lens Led Bulbs)

Put one of these inline to the LED:

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062581

And go from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3om56PrC9Rs

to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B80m6kPyero

Thanks for the electrical help Randall (TR3 Driver) :thankyousign:

I could not see the old in the bright sun at all, although I got done at dusk I think the new one will be a litte more visable (as long as it doesn't blind me at night :wink: )

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Re: Turn Signal Question Update Success Thanks Randall

That looks great. I too do not like how dim the turn signal indicator lamp is and would like to do something about it.
Could you please explain how you wired in the full wave rectifier and why it is needed.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

LEDs only work with one polarity; but the TR6 turn signal circuit applies both polarities to the indicator bulb (depending on whether you are turning right or left). The rectifier sorts it out, so the LED works both ways.

The leads are marked ~, -, +. The two ~ leads go to the original indicator wires, the + lead goes to the anode (+ or tip) of the LED, the - lead to the cathode (- or ground) of the LED.

hondo402000

Darth Vader

question, do you have to cut wires to do this conversion, I just put a new harness in and would prefer not to start cutting wires

Hondo

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

Yes you wouldl have to cut the two wire to the turn signal indicator, to wire in the rectifier, option two is brighter incandescents from Little British Car company, LBCarco.com, under electrical from their main page. Haven't tried them but they have a 5 watt 8w and 10w options vs. the original 2.2w of the lucas bulb.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Careful, Watts = heat.
Went thru this once I think.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

glemon said:
Yes you wouldl have to cut the two wire to the turn signal indicator,
So the bulb holder comes as part of the harness?

As Don said, watts = heat. Double the watts, double the heat. And that plastic jewel melts fairly easily.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

My LED flasher is quite visible in bright sunshine, so all good there.

As far as the wiring harness, I could see no bullet connectors on my car from the indicator to the harness, the wires to the indicator light go straight into the harness, I have no idea if the bulb holder comes with a new harness or not, never bought one, but if it doesn't to connect it properly you would have to solder it in.

Haven't tried the higher watt bulbs, just suggesting it as an alternative if you don't want to splice in the rectifier thingy, good point about the wattage, would be careful, Jeff at LBCarco suggested the 5 watter for the indicator light, but don't know if he had heard tales of actual successful use.

davidk

Jedi Trainee

I'm planning to do this upgrade. Guess it's obvious, but wouldn't you order the green led? Also, seems like a good time to upgrade the 'high' beam indicator. Same bulb in blue? Is it correct that I won't need the bridge rectifier for the high beam indicator?

Thanks!

tr8todd

Jedi Knight

Careful on the higher wattage bulbs. I just pulled a pair of TR7 taillights that someone had the "bright" idea of using higher wattage bulbs. The inside of the lens is all melted. Not sure what the earlier TR lenses are made from, but the wedge lenses are acrylic. A good scrubbing followed by a fresh coating of clear acrylic spray paint makes the lenses as good as new, and much easier to see, Repainting the inside of the metal housing with bright silver also helps.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

I'm likewise not sure what they are made of, but the earlier tail light lenses and dash jewels are also some thermoplastic that melts fairly easily.

That's right, David, no rectifier needed for the high beam indicator.

Sorry, I don't know which LED would work best behind the colored jewels. Depends on relative light output and frequency, I guess. Probably the hot setup would be to make a clear jewel.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

I just ordered the clear leds as seen in my u tube video posted above. The jewel things are made to be lit by a clear incandescent so I figured use a clear led for the most light and original looking color. I think if you go colored led you lose some of the brightness unlesss you go to a clear jewel but that seems like a lot more effort to me.

Gerald_Gordon

Silver
Country flag

Unlike incadescent lamps that produce a broad spectrum of colors, most of which would be blocked by the colored jewel, colored LEDs produce all of their light at one color. LEDs can be made to produce white light by several methods, one of which is to emit a single color in the usual way that excites a white phosphor. (This is how white fluorescent lamps work.) Thus, it would seem that a colored LED viewed through a jewel of the same color (or a clear jewel) would apapear brighter than would a white LED of the same power comsumption that would be viewed through a colored jewel that would discard most of the light and pass only a part of the LED's output through to the viewer.

Randall, may we have your view on this, please?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Your points are quite valid, Gerald.

But, LED efficiency varies quite a bit, especially when you start trying to compare different colors (since the chemicals used in the junction change), and I have no idea how the brightness compares with the LEDs in question. If the white LED were quite a bit brighter, then that might compensate for increased losses in the jewel.

I'd also have to say that the goal is not to have an indicator that blinds you (or interferes with your night vision), but just one that is visible in sunlight. And a clear jewel would be a pain to source and install, not to mention looking 'different' than original.

So, if I were doing this, I'd probably stick with a colored jewel and experiment with which LED I liked better.

BTW, I believe the most common 'white' LEDs emit a mixture of blue and yellow light directly, instead of having a UV diode excite a phosphor. Cheaper and more efficient. However, even the phosphor-based ones don't emit an even spectrum of 'white' light, but a mixture of blue and yellow that looks white to the human eye.

davidk

Jedi Trainee

glemon said:
Take one of these:

https://autolumination.com/otherleds.htm

(scroll down to E10 Screw Base 4 Led Focused Lens Led Bulbs)

Put one of these inline to the LED:

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062581

And go from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3om56PrC9Rs

to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B80m6kPyero

Thanks for the electrical help Randall (TR3 Driver) :thankyousign:

I could not see the old in the bright sun at all, although I got done at dusk I think the new one will be a litte more visable (as long as it doesn't blind me at night :wink: )

Picked up the bridge rectifier at Radio Shack, and the LED bulbs are ordered. The rectifier is fairly small and has four uninsulated wires coming out if it. How do you install this and avoid shorting the wires on the rectifier together? Thanks for your help!

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

I made a circuit board of sorts by poking holes in some thin cardboard just to keep the wires apart (had the same concern as you) since the holes don't line up exactly with the pattern on the rectifier it stays out from the base and keeps the wires apart. Not very sophisticated, but haven't blown anything up yet.

davidk

Jedi Trainee

Put it together tonight. Works great. Just used lots of heat shrink to isolate the wires. Now I guess I'm going to have to order more for the rest of the dash lights. I tried the LED bulb in the speedo and one of the small gauges. Big difference. I was surprised that the dimmer still worked. Thanks for posting this!

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

davidk

Jedi Trainee

Planning to use amber and red LED's in the oil and ign warning lights. I would guess that the oil gets 12v when activated, but the ign will glow faintly if voltage is slightly low. How will the LED react to less than 12v?
Thanks for your help!