• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trunk Lid Seal

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Roger would be the expert on the boot seals. I think he came up with a solution for a leaky boot after trial and error.

Oh, TH, you flatter me. Guys no expert, just another Healey owner addressing different ways to solve a situation.

Click here to bring you to the post I joined in on about the boot seal.

(Just read that entire thread. Seem you were a part of it Rick. OK, so for the rest of you...that's what I came up with)

Cheers,
Roger the expert :smile:

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Hey Rick,

As you know, I am not a stickler for originality.

I used the 1/2" thick x 1" wide, dense black rubber foam, peel and stick window insulation sold by Home Depot and Lowes. It fits perfectly in the channel around the openings.

So moisture will not blow or seep through, I put the joint of the hood seal at the rear and the joint of the trunk seal at the bottom.

The hood and trunk lips press into the foam and the hood and trunk are sealed ALL the way around. Also they will never rattle.

Mine has been in place for 15 years and is still in excellent shape, but I will replace it when I repaint early next year.

Tim

BBH

Country flag
Click here to bring you to the post I joined in on about the boot seal.

Looking to find either a good match for the original boot / trunk lid rubber seal or an effective alternative.

Tried to follow up on the thread above but have just been directed to what I guess is the "old site" (UBB Message - British Car Forum), which doesn't recognise my log-on.

Any suggestions to either a source for a good match to the original 14B7466 seal or the solution identified in AUSMHLY's link much appreciated

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
rick, i bought the seal in question and installed it in my bj7. i believe that i still had to cut the seal on one side to relieve some of the tension so that i c\would fit it properly in the rounded corners. quality of the seal was good...maybe i used the wrong adhesive or wrong method but just could not get the corners right....it was as if the seal was just a bit too small. i will most likely use the lowes weatherstipping method meantioned above on my bn6....after all, both are v8 conversions and lacking in originality!

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Some oik ( PO ) has fitted the seal into the channel of the shroud - I must alter that one day, having said that I do not get leaks.

:cheers:

Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Roger would be the expert on the boot seals. I think he came up with a solution for a leaky boot after trial and error.

Well finally he done DUG Otta the Snow-:applause:

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The perfect solution to a leaky boot seal is ..........don't go out in the rain .....easy peasy .....

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The perfect solution to a leaky boot seal is ..........don't go out in the rain .....easy peasy .....

Move to Southern California ain't got no rain---:highly_amused:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
C'mon Keoke, don't jinx us. We're countin' on El Niño to deliver this year. I'd trade a wet trunk for a few inches of rain. Rob

BBH

Country flag
Looking to find either a good match for the original boot / trunk lid rubber seal or an effective alternative.

Tried to follow up on the thread above but have just been directed to what I guess is the "old site" (UBB Message - British Car Forum), which doesn't recognise my log-on.

Any suggestions to either a source for a good match to the original 14B7466 seal or the solution identified in AUSMHLY's link much appreciated

Unfortunately wet weather is a fact of life in the UK, so any help with the above, much appreciated

Andy

DanZ_BT7

Okay, I have a stupid question. Does the trunk lid seal ever go on the shroud? Or does it always fit around the outside edge of the trunk lid?