• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Wheel Cap Renewal

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Any ideas for cleaning up TR6 wheel caps? I've got the black ones. I already have a new set of the red TR6 center cap stickers, but I'd like to clean the caps before I apply them. I've thought about repainting them with new black paint - is this a good idea? If so, what is the process (priming, etc.) for painting plastic parts? Otherwise, what are my shining up options - sanding, buffing, compounding, etc.?

Dugger

Since the caps are black, a repaint can be done fairly simply. There are rattle cans available for plastic at most hardware/auto parts outlets in a ariety of colors.

My magenta '74 TR6 originally had the silver caps, and I repainted them black to match the interior, but that was with engine paint(spray can)and a few..okay..many years ago. Paint technology has improved greatly since then, however, my fix held up well for the 4 years I had the car.

A good cleaning and light 400-600 grit sanding should be all that is necessary. I wouldn't paint the area that the new badges are to be afixed. Just sand and wipe CLEAN with alcohol.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If you cannot find a plastic paint you like then there is a product brand name 'Bulldog' that you spray on plastic to get good adhesion with any regular spray paint.

If you want black and cannot find spray paint for plastic at your usual paint sources and automotive finish retailer will surely have it (same place that sells Bulldog).

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Since you aren't trying to change the color of the caps, I'd suggest trying to clean up and polish the plastic before resorting to painting it. That would be more durable than most paints, *if* it's possible to get them to clean up adequately. Then, if you can't get them to look good, you can always fall back to the repaint option.

Plastic supply stores (like TAP Plastics) and other places sell compounds to clean and polish hard plastics, which might work. These are pastes that come in small bottles, and are offered in different grits for heavy or light scratch removal and final polishing by hand. Eastwood also sells a number of different plastic refinishing compounds, but generally for power polishers. Different products work on everything from turn signal lenses to convertible top windows.

If you go to a local plastic specialty store to look for these products, it might be wise to take along one of the center caps. They might be able to best recommend what will work on it.

There is also a wide array car cleaning products specifically made for plastics and rubber that might help. Armor All is probably the best known. The problem with many of these products is that they contain silicone, which will make any later paint application a lot more difficult. I'm not sure I'd recommend trying these, unless you are certain it will work. If you want to try, experiment on a hidden area first to see if it will do the job. That way you won't have the extra prep steps of removing the silicone before painting, should it come to that. Also keep these cleaners off the area where the sticker will be placed. The silicone will likely keep the stickers from adhering well.

Sometimes plastic "fades" deep into the surface, and none of the above ideas will work. Then, painting might be the only or best choice. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions about that.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L