• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 69 TR6 - Another stupid wheel question

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
When I first bought my car, the wheels were on the PO's garage floor. I was tired with a long ways to go, and I grabbed the first four tires. I installed them on the car and stuck the extra in the trunk. I recently pulled the tires off to sandblast the wheels. When I layed them on their side i realized one of the wheels is not a wide as the others. I am guessing this is the spare, correct? Was this normal for this year? All five wheels have a diameter of 16 1/6". The width on four measures 6 5/8, and the fifth wheel measures 5 5/8. Would the tire size be different for the spare?

D

DougF

Assuming these are steel wheels, the easiest way to determine original wheels for a '69 is they have studs jutting out where the Rostyle hubcaps attached.

The spare tire would have been the same size as the rest.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree:
6-5/8 sounds kind of big for the stock steel wheels, which were 5.5" measured between the bead flanges. So I guess the question about tire sizes depends on what size tires you are running.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Maybe this isn't such a stupid question after all. I wasn't sure how to state the measurements. I just gave the measurements in total width. The measurements between the bead flanges is 5.5" for the four, and 4.5" for the spare. The spare and one of the other wheels did have the Rostyle studs still on them, and all five had the same original Michelin redlines. I'm not sure if the others were just cut off. They have been painted many times. Now, I'm puzzled. Anyone else have a 69 with the same set up? I will be finishing up the powdercoating today, and getting new tires next week, so this is getting to be more of an issue. If the spare did not belong to this car, what could it have gone to?

PeterK

Yoda
TR4A also used a 4-1/2" width wheel and it had spikes for hub caps too.

The holes around the outside of the rim face differ between the TR6 and earlier wheels. One has holes all the way around, and the other not. Can't remember which but check yours.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PeterK said:
TR4A also used a 4-1/2" width wheel and it had spikes for hub caps too.
But weren't they much shorter, like maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch tall (like the TR2-4), instead of the much taller ones (1.5") used with the Rostyle caps ?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ichthos said:
The measurements between the bead flanges is 5.5" for the four, and 4.5" for the spare. The spare and one of the other wheels did have the Rostyle studs still on them, and all five had the same original Michelin redlines. I'm not sure if the others were just cut off.
I think you just have a mix of wheels from different cars. 4.5" would be a TR2-4A; while the ones with no studs would be later TR6. Only the 69 TR6 used 5.5" wheels with the Rostyle caps. Possibly some TR250s did too, but the books say they got 5.0" wheels (with the Rostyle studs/caps).

Between the bead flanges is the standard place to measure wheel width. Also diameter is normally measured at the bead seats rather than the outer flange (so those are 15" wheels you have).

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for all your replies - the informations helped greatly! You guys got me thinking. I looked in the Moss catalog, and it does say that only the 69 had the Rostyle studs, which is why they look different from later years. Mine have flattened areas for the studs and hence less vent holes. Later years had no studs, more vent holes (because the Rostyle studs didnt take up this area)and I believe were welded continuously around the rim. Only the TR6's had the 5.5" width, so my wheels have to be from a TR6. All of my wheels have the three holes for the Rostyle studs - I just think most were removed at some point. So, to review for me, basically I have four wheels that belong to my 69 TR6 (the 5.5" width.) These have to be from a 69 because they were the only ones with Rostyle studs. For some strange reason Moss sent me a TR2-4 catalog last week. It shows the 4.5" wheel coming from a later TR3 through TR4A. I called the local tire company which said I could use the 4.5" wheel for a spare for now. I will put up the 4.5" up on Ebay, and look for another wheel.