• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 surrey top sacrilidge

DeanMcKay

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi All!

I made an introduction in the appropriate forum, but I'm new to the board.

In the spring I'll be buying a '64 TR4 from a family friend. I am one of the few folks on the planet that prefers the looks of the traditional soft top over the surrey top- which this car has. While I'd like to carefully remove it and store it in the rafters of my garage, I was wondering if anyone has ever installed top bows on a car that originally came with a surrey top?

I'd like to make it easily reversable if possible. I used to own a '63 TR4, but it's been too long for me to remember if there would be any drilling or permanent modifications in order to do this- I think the upholstery is different in that there is the flap to cover the tob bows when folded down, but other than that are there any other differences?

If it's too much of a hassle, or not reversable without permanent modifications, I guess the other alternative would be to remove the top during the dry season and just keep a tonneau or car cover on it and then re-install the surrey for the winter and spring months. Fortunately where I live in California, the winters are never very severe.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dean

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We have a couple of surrey top cars on this board, I think. Should be able to answer.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dean, just a quick shout to say Hi and welcome to the
Forum. I live in California too. Where you from?

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Where in CA are you located?

I guess that I sort of feel similar in that I don't think that I'll use the hard-top portion of my surrey top. Instead I bought a new soft top mid-section, but will keep the rear glass as I do like the looks.

My car didn't come with the surrey top from the factory. I think what you will need is an aluminum cap piece which I believe does get attached by drilling. If I'm not mistaken the holes you will need to drill are small and then can be hidden by the surrey top if it is ever reinstalled. Take a good look at a Moss catalogue and you should be able to figure it out.

OP
D

DeanMcKay

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks a ton!

I'm from good ol' Sacramento... about halfway between Tracy and Colfax! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The car is up in Placerville and I haven't seen it in a couple of years- I found it for him, but haven't spent a whole lot of time with it, other than adjusting the Zenith-Strombergs, the timing and valves after he first got it.

I'll probably venture up there in a couple of weeks to take a closer look at the surrey top and to take it out for a spin.

Thanks again for the replies!
Dean

G

I know some people on this forum that will sacrifice their eye teeth for a really nice surrey top. If you don't want it and want to make a few bucks, throw it out for bids.

OP
D

DeanMcKay

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Bill-

I kinda figured that would be the case, and I wouldn't want to be a hoarder or anything, but I just figure since the car was born with the surrey top, it should probably stay with it, even though it's not my personal preference.

Like most things, while I have every intention of keeping this car forever, sometimes life has other plans. The thought of having to tell the new owner "yeah, it had the surrey top when I first got it but I sold it" makes me kinda cringe.

That said, of all the Triumphs, I think pictures have never done the TR4 justice- so perhaps once the car is mine and I'm living with it on a daily basis, the look might grow on me.

Thanks for the note!
Dean

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I am not familiar with the surrey attachment. I am putting a new soft top on my 4A this week. The A's top has a metal plate that attaches the top to the rear deck with 5 bolts into female fittings in top of the deck of the car. Possibly your surrey attaches to the same fittings or you could adapt the plate to use your same fittings. The bows plate attaches with 3 screws directly over the interior trim. I don't know if your 4 would have the holes for the screws behind the trim but worth a look.

Or with the surrey top at least you won't mess up your hair.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the board-

I'm putting a surrey on my soft-top TR4. Larry's right about the aluminum surround pieces. They show up occasionally on ebay, good ones are probably in the $50-$100 range. The soft top frames show up all the time and should be pretty easy to source. Then if you want it completely tidied up an interior kit will be needed - the top cover that hides the frame is permanently installed. The TR4 top is not like the 4a top - there is no metal frame as sail mentions, the top on the 4 comes off completely and gets stowed in the boot.

Not sure if there are special holes on the b-post for frame assembly - that might be the hardest thing you have to tackle. I'd expect the factory to have it the same regardless, but I think for surrey cars they didn't add the tonneau snaps on the doors like the soft top cars have.

Hang on to the surrey top as long as you want- it will only go up in value. At least I hope so as I paid an arm and a leg for one.

I'm out this week, but if you need any snapshots just let us know, there are a bunch of TR4ers on this board.

Randy

OP
D

DeanMcKay

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks again for all the info! The assessment in earnest won't happen until I own the car in April or May, but this is good info. I appreciate folks taking the time to reply.

All the best,
Dean

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Welcome to the form and thanks for the introduction. Something I need to do and haven't done in 3 years now.

E-mail me or reply but I'm sure I could be of some help. My TR250 came with a convertible top and I converted it to what everyone refers to the Surrey top.

Is your backlight frame aluminium of fiberglass? That is the frame that's attached to the deck of the car and holds the rear glass. The hardtop section does remove by removing the 2 bolts in the top of the windshield frame and also on the underside of the backlight frame. If it's been on for decades I'm sure the rubber seals will be stuck to both frames and should take care in removing it so you don't damage the seals.

The install of the Surrey top. That's the soft top section and is a little more difficult to install and I'll have to think on this one a little while. You can sourse the top and sticks from The Roadster Factory, Moss or Victoria British.

The Surrey Top came as a after thought or design from Triumph. TR4 owners did not like the fact that the hard top did not fit in the boot or behind the seat. On a nice day one took your chances by leaving the hard top at home on a long
drive. A company in Surrey England designed the top so you could have some protection in the rain. Hence the name Surrey Top. Over the years the term was referred to the entire assembly. Oh ya putting the surrey top on takes longer then the soft top on my TR3. Hope this helps. Larry