• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Side Curtains

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello again, Triumph fans -

I need some help with TR3A side curtains. I'm not entirely familiar with the original configuration of fittings for attaching the side curtains. The car I'm working on (TS24XX..) had no top or side curtains installed, and I'm working with a box of parts that may or may not be compatible. There is a set of new and unused (and un-upholstered), although ancient, side curtains with the car and some fittings, but perhaps not all that are necessary.
The owner was told by The Roadster Factory that the side curtains are some sold by J.C. Whitney a hundred years ago. Given the cost of a new set from the usual suppliers, obviously the owner of the car prefers to use the J.C. Whitney curtains if possible. Thus, I need some help in figuring out what we have and what we need (and what is available). The photo shows only the RH side curtain, but all of the fittings we have.

Thanks for helping me to sort this out. Anyone can reach me directly at sbyers@ec.rr.com

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 121

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The chromed attachments are correct for your TR3A with TS 24xxx Comm. No. I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new (TS 27489 LO) and it has the same insert supports as you show. The sidecurtains you show are not like the originals. They should be like all TR3As with one fixed thin Plexiglas up front and a thicker sliding "window" towards the rear. For your TR3A as for mine, the lower half of the sidecurtain should be flexible to fold outwards and upwards. The lower edge should be secured to the 4 pegs on the outside of the door with "Lift-A-Dot" fasteners. The support pieces should have aluminium wedges on the inner bottom - held by an adjustable screw in a recessed slot and these fit into your chromed supports.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I believe the small rectangular pieces will be the wedges. I'm guessing that once the sockets are mounted to the car and the top installed, you position the side curtains for best fit then mark the position of the wedges and rivet them to the brackets.

Those may have come from JCW, but they look similar if not identical to the ones marketed by AMCO back in the day.

Should be 4 of the chrome sockets; the other two are mirror images of what you have. I think you've got the ones for the LH Front & RH Rear, but I could have that backwards. The doors have wooden platforms for them to screw into, through the upholstered board that forms the inside skin of the door.

Here's a diagram that might help
AK.jpg

OP
BJ8Healeys

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've been away for a while, so sorry for the delay in acknowledging the responses. They are very helpful. I especially appreciate the pictorial of the door assembly. That helps a lot, thanks! The car has new upholstery panels covering the doors so I don't yet know what's under there. It's good to know what to look for.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
What's gonna be under there is some oak boards that have been drilled for the brackets numerous times. Plug the drilled holes with dowel and start again. Watch the length of the top screws for the mount plates. too long and they will ding the door from inside out.Bob

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Way to determine which sockets go where on the door is the knurled thumbscrews face each other. You can see it on the above schematic. The sockets were fixed to the timber blocks inside the doors with chromed slot head wood screws.

Viv.