• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR3 on TR4 frame

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
A while back, someone posted a project where they were putting a TR3 body on a TR4 frame, with IRS.

Seems they were adding 4 inches down the center, down the full length of the car.

Anyone know anything about this project/thread?

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Seems they were adding 4 inches down the center, down the full length of the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I don't know the status of that project, but recall reading about it here, too. You should be able to locate something in the archives.

I have a TR4 ladder chassis (non-IRS) frame squirrelled away for a similar project, except that I don't plan to widen the TR3 tub in any way. Essentially, I want to build a TR3A "Beta" just like Triumph did in 1960. These were prototypes of a replacement for the 3A, that was not put into production when the TR4 was chosen instead. The main difference with the body is simply wider fenders to accomodate the wider track. Major mechanical differences include rack & pinion steering and the full syncrho gearbox. The TR4 frame just needs to have the outriggers trimmed 1" off each side, and modified front and rear body mounting points.

I hope you locate the threads about the other project and get an update on its status.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Glenn; I also remember that project, pic of the TR3 split down the middle. Would like to see more.

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful
Mine is not the project you seek but, I am using a TR4 frame under a TR3 body. As Alan mentioned, I have shortened the outriggers. Once I finish installing the front suspension, I'll set her on the ground and test fit the body. I'll make sure and post some pictures of the trial fit.

Greg

Attachments

• 285848-Frontendview.JPG
    285848-Frontendview.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 78

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The Member that was doing the wide TR3 is TR3MOD, do a profile and you can click on user post at bottom ot the page. He has not posted in awhile about his project.

Don

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Essentially, I want to build a TR3A "Beta" just like Triumph did in 1960.

[/ QUOTE ]So did I, Alan, in the worst way. Back around ten years ago, I realized I'd ended up with a couple of TR4 chassis in decent condition, along with a very late TR3A tub and related sheet metal (whose chassis had already gone away for someone else's restoration project). I even had a "factory-rebuilt" (tag on side of block) TR4 motor and overdrive gearbox for it, as well as pretty much all the necessary TR4 bits such as steering column, etc., etc. Alas, a significant "financial crisis" came along, and liquidation of those bits proved vital in rescuing me from said crisis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K TR2/3/3A TR3 and TR4 Frame Width? Triumph 1
K TR4/4A Further to TR3 Body on a TR4 frame? Triumph 2
K TR4/4A The TR3 Body on the TR4 Frame .....Again Triumph 4
K TR4/4A The TR3 body on the TR4 frame? Triumph 9
V TR4/4A tr3 body on a tr4 frame Triumph 7
F For Sale Four Steel Wheels Triumph TR3 or TR4 Triumph Classifieds 5
J For Sale Triumph TR2, TR3, TR4 CAM SHAFT FOR SALE Triumph Classifieds 0
J For Sale 1965 TR4 + TR3 Parts - floors, gauges, misc. Triumph Classifieds 14
J Wanted TR3 or TR4 rolling chassis Other British Classifieds 3
K TR2/3/3A Re TR4 and TR3 fuel gauge sending units again.... Triumph 0
S TR2/3/3A Are a tr3 and tr4 radiators the same Triumph 3
K TR2/3/3A TR4 motor with overdrive in a TR3 slave cylinder mounting position? Triumph 2
M TR2/3/3A Is a Tr4 Work Shop Manual Useful for a TR3 owner? Triumph 2
S For Sale Triumph tr3 tr3a tr3b tr4 tr4a differential cover new old stock Triumph Classifieds 0
G For Sale Original Kastner "D" Camshaft for Triumph TR2 TR3 TR4 & Morgan +4, Like-Nu Orig. $420 Triumph Classifieds 1
Lukens For Sale Classic center armrest/console for tr2, tr3, tr3a, tr3b, and tr4 Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Tr3 tr3a tr3b tr4 tr4a differential cover new old stock Triumph Classifieds 0
richie TR4/4A TR3/TR4 Weber DCOE serious fitment issues Triumph 12
T TR2/3/3A TR4 Air cleaners on TR3 Triumph 7
T TR2/3/3A Will Spitfire D-type overdrive work in TR3 with TR4 transmission? Triumph 3
CJD TR2/3/3A TR4 Gearbox in the TR3...Finally! Triumph 3
T TR2/3/3A Has anyone put late TR4/4A upper A-arms and ball joints on TR3? Triumph 3
M TR2/3/3A TR3 TR4 oil capacity with aluminum sump Triumph 1
O TR2/3/3A TR4 overdrive in TR3 Triumph 4
G TR2/3/3A TR3/TR4 Cylinder Head Gasket SElection Triumph 2
O TR2/3/3A TR4 Wires to TR3 Triumph 11
Kleykamp TR2/3/3A TR4 engine into TR3 crankcase vent tube? Triumph 16
B TR4/4A Help on upper radiator support rod parts - what is required on TR3 compared to TR4? Triumph 5
T TR4/4A I'm back to the well of knowledge - TR3/TR4/TR4A clutch-transmission confusuion Triumph 10
CJD TR4/4A TR4 or TR3 Tranny? Triumph 5
K TR4/4A TR4/TR3 clutch operating shaft availability? Triumph 2
arizonamike TR4/4A Collector's Originality Guide Triumph TR2 TR3 TR4 Triumph 1
Tr3aguy TR4/4A Amp Gauge TR3 vs TR4 Triumph 4
tr6nitjulius Spitfire TR3*3 TR4*2 TR6*7 Spit*2 GT6*1 Others*2 Triumph 5
6 TR4/4A TR3 [TR4?] Generator available??? Triumph 10
A TR4/4A TR4 FUEL GAUGE CONVERSION FOR A TR3 Triumph 4
Marvin Gruber TR4/4A Windshield motors TR3 & TR4 Triumph 2
M TR4/4A TR3 TR4 exhaust hanger question Triumph 4
mrv8q TR4/4A TR3 vs early TR4 Triumph 11
TR4nut TR4/4A Differenc e between TR3 and TR4 lever shocks? Triumph 6
S TR4/4A late tr3 and tr4 gas caps Triumph 4