• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Too Dang Hot to Drive

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I don't usually post semi-personal not mechanical related topics, but since I read that a lot of the country is in the same boat...

About 3 weeks ago I had a small accident involving a jack stand, a quick releasing floor jack and a rocker panel. Got it fixed, it was on the side that I wanted to repaint a couple of the fenders anyway, was jacking it up to take out the gas tank and drain, flush, dry, etc. Got it all back together, didn't idle well, replaced a seal in the adjustable carb needle that was allowing all the oil to drain out. Just a couple weeks in the life of a British car guy, right, got it all good and IT IS TOO darn HOT TO DRIVE. even at night, humidity temp, miserable, don't mind sweating a little (did all the above in the very hot garage), but sheesh did I mention it is hot--rant off.

doates

July 4th; the wife and I took a drive up to Sonoma, had to be over 100 degrees, got lost in suburban Petaluma (there really is such a thing), not much fun.

Yesterday, we were out using the Spit for an errand; 75 degrees, beautiful afternoon, did our best to take every country road that we could find, had a great time.

Dennis

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Go east of the west coastline and it's above 90
Yesterday went to a Mariner game. had to wear a coat and hat

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I had the eight out for a ride after the rebuild, was thinking of taking it to work today but was 80 with 80% humidity at 0615 this morning. I am glad I left it home and I am glad I did, it rained buckets. Several places had water a foot deep running down the streets.

Luckily it rained quite a bit but I did not get stuck in any. Maybe the yard will turn green again

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Well, it's 100 degrees here today. We have had 25 days this summer with 100 plus temperatures as high as 111. I have not been able to take my Triumph's out for weeks now. The midwest is really burning up. You guys that are in the northwest are really lucky.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There are times when we wish we are you.
Ask what it's like not to see the sun more than an hour a day going on weeks.
We here (N. End) haven't had but 2 days above 80 since Sept.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Has been high nineties here for many days, humidity is high, sun is hot, heat of the sidewalks and streets keeps it steamy well into the night.

Only plus side, the Sunday before last was the day I flushed out my gas tank, I heve been out in all sorts of weather, but this day seemed to have them all beat, I started dripping sweat as soon as I stepped out and just could not stop, but, of course once you fill your tank with water you want it to dry out before putting it back in the car, the black tank set in the sun was quickly both dry and way too hot to touch.

LBCs_since_1988

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Oh, it's not so bad! :cooler:

hotday.JPG

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
I haven't had my Triumph or Jag out in at least 10 days. Was driving the "family" Healey a bit last week but not too much. Really hoping it cools down one of these days.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds normal for the Deep South. If we had what you call a Driving Season down here, it would be just about anytime other than July and August.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My TR8 with A/C is in the B/S getting new bumpers, but I've had the TR6 out for a few 5-10 mile runs. I will take off Thurs & Fri and will get a few AM rides in the TR6 before afternoon golf and before it's so hot. We'll be in the 90's both days here, as well as high 80's over the weekend.

G

poolboy said:
Sounds normal for the Deep South. If we had what you call a Driving Season down here, it would be just about anytime other than July and August.

Yep, ol' boy don't know what hot is.

Here's how you tell. If you park your car on asphault and when you drive off you can see you tire tread imprints on the ground....it's hot.

Just got back from a drive.

One word...linen!

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Brosky said:
My TR8 with A/C is in the B/S getting new bumpers,

So you did paint them after all huh?

The heat in Green Bay has been manageable. 90 ish is OK. The dew point is brutal 75 - 80 degrees. It is like being in a sauna. I waxed the TR8 on Sunday and darn near passed out. Took it for a run around town and the air was so thick you could hardly breath. Turned on the A/C only to discover I need a recharge :frown:

Alas, it is still waaaaaaaayyyy better than anything February can dish out.

D

Deleted member 8987

Yesterday, high on my deck was 61.
This morning, wife's cousin in town, went to breakfast, turned the heat on in the Jag.
Right now, quarter to noon, temp on the deck is 65, so we're having a heat wave.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This morning,it was depressing - overcast.This sun finally came
out,& it's supposed to get up to 65 degrees here.

- Doug

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Next month our local club has its annual 100/100 drive -- that's 100+ miles in 100+ temps.

Sometimes you just gotta embrace the heat and drive. Everyone gets a free gelato at the end.

Amazingly, in 3 or 4 years of doing this we've never had a car fail to finish.