• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonneau Bar questions ['62 BT7 Sidescreen car]

bt7tricarb

Let me start by saying that I am finally hopeful of getting my tonneau bar issues resolved thanks to a member of my local club who is generously sending me a spare bar.

Now that being said...

1. Am I doing something wrong? I've gotten mixed feedback on where the tonneau bar should be placed. I have a 1962 BT7. Does the tonneau bar go in the same holes as the top bows, or on the pegs that I've always thought were for a hard top? I've always used the same holes for the top bows. Seems like the others would raise the bar too high.

2. Is the "correct" bar a one piece or two pieces?

a. Years ago (early 80s) when I had this same car I remember having a two piece bar, but I'm not sure that it was correct. Most of the catalogs (namely AH Spares) have a BT7 bar pictured as a one piece bar. My tonneau back then was the aftermarket one that didn't have the rail supports, so the tonneau bar went over a smoothe material.

b. I picked up a one piece bar at a show recently, but ran into problems with it. It didn't quite fit in to the holes for the top bow (it's just ever so slightly too long, and even though I can kind of "jam" it into the hole, it won't sink all the way down and the tonneau looked "tilted". Even so, the tonneau seemed to sit way too high with this bar.

Hate to sound like a "newbie" in describing all this. I just want the tonneau to be correct. This is esp. important as I have purchased a new Robbins tonneau that I'd like to have fitted, but only with the right bar (and bar placed correctly).

Hope all this makes sense.

Now finally:

If the bar I have is not correct for a BT7, can someone tell me what car this bar would go with? It's just a tiny bit longer than my top bows (see pictures below - when placed with the bottom of the rails aligned on the right side the other end is about a quarter "circle" longer).

You may barely be able to see the overhang on the left(close up added in next post). Also, the tonneau bar feels like the circumference may be a tiny, tiny bit larger than that of the bars on the top bow. Another important note is it has solid caps on the bottom of the bar ends.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 11843.jpg
    11843.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 241
OP
bt7tricarb

bt7tricarb

Here's a close up of the "overhang." Again, the tonneau bar seems a bit too long and has solid caps on the bottom of the rails. Doesn't seem damaged in any way. Could stand a re-paint maybe, but seems correct otherwise.

Attachments

• 11844.jpg
    11844.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 240

mrdibbles

The tonneau bar goes into the same holes as the metal frame for the soft top. If they are a little bit off its just because the tonneau bar is bent a little (or the car is bent a little). The tonneau bar on mine goes in easier than it comes out because once it's in its in under some compression of the bar. If I am not careful removing it what will happen is it will spring up a bit, on one side (the side I am not on), and perhaps scratch the paint. That may be why your tonneau bar and soft top frame aren't alligning perfectly. No biggie though!

Tronch

Hi have a BT7 from the 60.

The tonneau bar is quite longer than the soft top frame and is using the same hole. It´s longer to give tension to the tonneau.

The bar originally is one piece, but I have the two pieces because is better to let with the tonneau into the trunk.
It is from healey Surgeons.

I will recomend you to use the stiffener bars too, this give a good look to the car when you are using only the front seats.

OP
bt7tricarb

bt7tricarb

Well, tonight I picked up the other tonneau bar that someone in my club gave me and it slipped right in like a glove. The tonneau also fits it perfectly. Now that I have a correct bar, I'll take a couple of pictures of both one piece bars side by side. There are some definite differences in the bars, and I'd like to find out just which bar the one pictured above is so I can help someone else...

Best,
Devin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Glad to hear that it worked for you, Devin.

Lin
1960 BT7 "The Bloody Beast"
1959 AN5 Bugeye