• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bugeye tonneau fittings

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am trying to figure out the fittings for the tonneau cover on my bugeye (which is pretty much done, by the way). I have the slide connectors on the very back, and the two tenax connectors as you move forward.

My question is about the connector just behind the door. Most of the pictures I've seen show a twist connector there, but those connectors require two holes, and I have only one hole there. It's the same on both sides, and I can't see any indication that a second hole has been welded or filled with bondo. Were any bugeyes fitted with Tenax connectors there? Is there any reason a Tenax connector wouldn't work? I supposed I can drill a second hole, but I'm always nervous to do that with new paint.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

65_BRG_Sprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keith: I'm trying to figure out "slide connectors" at the back of mine. There is just a small pocket in the canvas in two locations where it meets theslotted metal trim piece. Is there supposed to be any metal or reniforcing in the canvas? Mine rolls up along the rear hem due to this. Sorry- I don't have answers for your car as mine is MK3.

OP
Keith_M

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keith: I'm trying to figure out "slide connectors" at the back of mine. There is just a small pocket in the canvas in two locations where it meets theslotted metal trim piece. Is there supposed to be any metal or reniforcing in the canvas? Mine rolls up along the rear hem due to this. Sorry- I don't have answers for your car as mine is MK3.

There should be two small metal bars about 3 inches long or so, as I recall. These fit in the pockets at the rear and slide under the connectors.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keith,

I've never seen an example with just a single Tenax stud.Every one I have ever seen has the turnbuckle, and even checking in Horler, every single one pictured is that way also. My guess would be someone added a stud in a slightly different location and that's why you're not finding two holes.

Can you post a picture of where that single stud is located exactly? The picture you sent recently does not show that area.

OP
Keith_M

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keith,

I've never seen an example with just a single Tenax stud.Every one I have ever seen has the turnbuckle, and even checking in Horler, every single one pictured is that way also. My guess would be someone added a stud in a slightly different location and that's why you're not finding two holes.

Can you post a picture of where that single stud is located exactly? The picture you sent recently does not show that area.

Hi Gerard,
Here's a picture of the hole on the left side. The hole on the right side is in exactly the same place--2 inches from the door opening, measured horizontally.

Keith

20170613_200513.jpg

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As I suspected; the hole is way too low and too far back. The two holes are only about 1" down from the edge and the farthest hole is about 1.75" back from the door edge. I'll post pix in a couple minutes. I have two examples here, and they are both the same.

Looks like your other studs are missing, as I should be able to see at least one, if not 2 more in your pic. You can see one in the first pic I pasted, just behind the ruler.

IMAG0747.jpgIMAG0748.jpgIMAG0749.jpg

Hi Gerard,
Here's a picture of the hole on the left side. The hole on the right side is in exactly the same place--2 inches from the door opening, measured horizontally.

Keith

View attachment 49044

Attachments

• IMAG0747.jpg
    IMAG0747.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 81

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Is that for a Tenax Lift a Dot stud?

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am not good at posting pictures, but if you go to "Bugeye Guys" web site and look at the Bugeye he calls Palmer there is a pretty good picture of a fitted red tonneau cover

OP
Keith_M

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, clearly someone has completely redone the holes for the tonneau and top. It's possible that I missed the remnants of two holes for the turnbuckle because they are so far away from the existing hole. I was looking for a second hole next to the existing hole. I hadn't even noticed that the other holes on the back are wrong. Sheesh!

So, I guess my decision now is whether to try and use the existing holes or fill them and drill correct ones. All the tonneaus and tops that I've ever bought come without the hardware installed, so it's possible I could put the hardware in the top and tonneau to match the existing holes. I can't see a reason that the side hole couldn't take a Tenax fastener instead of a turnbuckle. I'll buy a tonneau and see what fits. I'll probably end up filling the existing holes and drilling the correct ones.

Gerard, thanks for your help on this. Your pictures were exactly what I needed but couldn't find on the internet (most pictures have the tonneau or top installed, and it's hard to see the exact placement of the holes. There's a car show in Salt Lake City this weekend that I plan to attend (with my BT7); there will be some bugeyes there to take measurements from.

Keith

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Glad I could help. If you end up needing any measurements, let me know.

Well, clearly someone has completely redone the holes for the tonneau and top. It's possible that I missed the remnants of two holes for the turnbuckle because they are so far away from the existing hole. I was looking for a second hole next to the existing hole. I hadn't even noticed that the other holes on the back are wrong. Sheesh!

So, I guess my decision now is whether to try and use the existing holes or fill them and drill correct ones. All the tonneaus and tops that I've ever bought come without the hardware installed, so it's possible I could put the hardware in the top and tonneau to match the existing holes. I can't see a reason that the side hole couldn't take a Tenax fastener instead of a turnbuckle. I'll buy a tonneau and see what fits. I'll probably end up filling the existing holes and drilling the correct ones.

Gerard, thanks for your help on this. Your pictures were exactly what I needed but couldn't find on the internet (most pictures have the tonneau or top installed, and it's hard to see the exact placement of the holes. There's a car show in Salt Lake City this weekend that I plan to attend (with my BT7); there will be some bugeyes there to take measurements from.

Keith

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Keith, Bugeye Guy does sell for $15.00 a fitting Template on a sheet of vinyl marked on where to exactly drill holes. Worth $15.00, well someone needs to take the time to mark up a sheet of vinyl with the correct locations for all fittings. It helped me in fitting my tonneau and top and placing the fittings in the correct locations. And even then I needed to tweak one as there was no way I could get access to one of the holes, must have been a rivet that was originally used for that spot.

OP
Keith_M

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keith, Bugeye Guy does sell for $15.00 a fitting Template on a sheet of vinyl marked on where to exactly drill holes. Worth $15.00, well someone needs to take the time to mark up a sheet of vinyl with the correct locations for all fittings. It helped me in fitting my tonneau and top and placing the fittings in the correct locations. And even then I needed to tweak one as there was no way I could get access to one of the holes, must have been a rivet that was originally used for that spot.

Thanks Jim. I'll look into it, although I'm surprised that such a thing would actually work given the amount of variation among individual cars. I'm hoping to get some measurements, etc tomorrow at British Field Day in Salt Lake City.

Keith