• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today on the Blue Ridge Mountains

M

Member 10617

Beautiful day today in western Virginia, though a bit hot. So it was an excellent day to go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Here is a photo. Traffic, as the photo indicates, was very light -- few cars but many motocycles.

The only annoyance was some jerk in a Mercedes who came flying up behind me and kept flashing his lights to get by until we finally got to a passing lane. I don't know why anyone would want to speed down such a road.

I guess it is because of the economy or because of high gas prices, but the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive have experienced a drop-off of visitors. So, if you are in the neighborhood, this is a great time to visit.

Attachments

• 28937.jpg
    28937.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 404

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ed - that is a *great* picture.

Say, what's the "black box" on the lower right?

I enjoyed the Skyline Drive myself once - back in the early 1960s. May be time to do it again in my own TR3.

Tom

OP
M

Member 10617

Hi, Tom,

Ha, ha... no black box. That's the reflection of my camera in my rear-view mirror.

I hope you get the chance to repeat your visit(s) to the parkway soon.

The Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive (two separate sections of the parkway that runs along the Blue Ridge Mountains, for those who don't know) is 574 miles in length. There are a couple of inns and restaurants along the way, although a couple of the smaller restaurants have closed because of lack of traffic. The nice thing about the drive is that you are never very far from towns and cities down in the valleys - for gas, motels, restaurants, etc.
The speed limit is 45, a bit too fast for this winding road but apparently not fast enough for people in high-powered cars!

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
OP
M

Member 10617

Dave,

Yes, indeed, Mabry Mill is an excellent stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway.... and there's food there!

Here is another photo I took on the Blue Parkway a year or so ago (posted here back then). It was taken at one of the lodges near Roanoke, Va.

Attachments

• 28938.jpg
    28938.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 382

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
It's down right uncomfortable over here in Sothwest Mississippi right now (except right after dawn) if you have to drive slower than 60mph.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looks like a great drive, I'm jealous. I love the picture of your car between the two trucks. These are some small cars.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ed - that's quite a parking lot picture. I wonder if folks in the 1950s ever imagined the "family car" could become so large.

Tom

OP
M

Member 10617

.... And the thing about it is that those two SUVs are probably NOT the largest cars on the road these days!

Poolboy: It's been in the 90s around here (with high humidity) the last few days.... That's why I headed for the mountains. Makes me miss the "dry heat" of Arizona...

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I enjoyed the 110 degree dry heat today in my garage until 3:00PM before I had to call it quits. Our monsoon season is just around the corner, with it's dust storms, and maybe some rain.

OP
M

Member 10617

Keith,

I understand that the monsoon season is comng early to Arizona!

Bob,

If these SUV's get any larger, we won't have to drive around them on the highway; we'll be able to drive under them!

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks like a great ride in a great car. There should be a special parking spot waiting for your arrival wherever you go. And not always between two big trucks. :smile:

OP
M

Member 10617

The odd thing about my rides on the Blue Ridge Parkway (and we live only 15 miles from it) is that I have NEVER encountered another 40s, 50s, or 60s British sports car up there. In this whole area, I know of only one other TR3 and one '51 MG-TD (slowly and sadly rusting away in a barn). They seem to be vanishing.

Too bad...

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
If you had been a day earlier and further south (Grandfather Mountain NC) you would have encountered almost 100 TR's at the TRA 2012 National, which was held in Little Switzerland, NC. Dozens of us were on the parkway between Thursday and Sunday! Photos to come.

OP
M

Member 10617

Oh, no.... Just my luck!

I would have loved to have seen the TRA 2012 National! Is this held at Little Switzerland, NC, each year at this time? Is there a website? Looking forward to the photos.

Attachments

• 28951.jpg
    28951.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 246

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
6 of us ran the Blue Ridge from Galex to the end in late April on our way to the Mitty in Atlanta. We got detoured at Mt Mitchel due to ice on the road. Had to get back on in Asheville, NC.

What part of the BR do you normally run?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One of my favorite pictures: John Herrera (Twosheds) waiting for his TR ignition to dry out. Parked in the rain, somewhere on the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway back in 1993.

26001.jpg

Tom