• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

tires for a 79 MG Midget

Or how about what are the largest rims with low profile tires?

I run (already rather wide) 175/60R13 Yokohama A032's, which are a DOT legal race tire, on Minataur wheels from Moss. The backspace is about 1/8th from ideal, so I had to grind/roll the fender lips. However, I needed a panhard rod to locate the rear axle or the tires would be toast. Also, without a reasonable swaybar, the car would have so much body roll, the tires would definitely hit on the insides of the wheel wells (this actually happened to me!). P.S., the Moss wheels are 3.75" backspace and 5" wide. This means they added the extra .5" width on the outside of the wheel, instead of splitting the difference. If the backspacing was like 3 7/8" I feel that grinding, etc, may not be necessary at all. (however, you'd still definitely need a panhard rod or other axle locating device if you're going to attempt such small clearances).

The Winner's Circle sells a kit that I purchased. It did not work for me. I ended up extensively modifying it to fit. I don't know if this is because I have a 1500 tub, but I can provide some technical advice if you'd like to make your own. I'm happy to share my findings, as well as compare with earlier spridget owners.

As to my 'design' that my mechanic and I worked out for the bodyshell, it has held up after at least 4 autocross events (while I thrashed the suspension to within an inch of it's life) without any sign of failure (this is the bracket attaching to the frame). The actual rod, as supplied from the winner's circle, as well as heim joints, seem fine. However, I have a problem that needs correcting with the pad that goes on the axle u-bolts. It shifts under hard cornering such that it can shift left and right as the car sees side loads, making the location less precise. I intend to engineer a solution as I address the problem of front wheel lift with a rear swaybar.

The nicest panhard rod I've seen is the Peter May unit. I made mine after taking rough measuments off of one:
cat223.jpg

Peter May Engineering:
https://www.petermayengineering.co.uk

I ran the same Sumitomo 175 tires that Rob mentioned above when my car was on the street. They work well with a stock, unmodified car with "square" rear fenders and are fine for the street. They're cheap and look pretty good too. Available at Tire Rack.

Rob, We have lowered my sons 79 Midget to pre rubber bumper height. It has the stock Rostyle rims and square rear wheel arches. Do you think your tires would clear if your car was lowered? Thanks,

Folks i am interested in building my own Pan rod. Knowing very little about these, i would really like to see a photo of one installed. Please...

thanx

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
Rob, We have lowered my sons 79 Midget to pre rubber bumper height. It has the stock Rostyle rims and square rear wheel arches. Do you think your tires would clear if your car was lowered? Thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Lowered 1.5" in the front (getting around to the rear some day) and yes, I think they will fit great on a lowered car like that. They'll look better too since at stock height they can look a little small. The wide tread and low profile yield good performance and like Nial said, they're pretty cheap.

Depending on where that one attaches, it looks like it'd be great. Mine's a little rougher, but it works. However, I'd like to see that one in place. I'll put up some pictures of mine, along with some more comments later.

Matt

Here is one picture of my installation of the panhard bar. If you have any further questions, just post'em! This shows the bar before the gas-tank is re-installed. The bar wraps around the tank and uses the existing mounting studs, as well as some additional ones drilled through the floor to supplement.

Attachments

• 120489-Im000487-small.JPG
    120489-Im000487-small.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 117
Do you have anyother pics of modifications that you have done?
Right now I'm taking out my fuel tank and putting in a fuel cell. And a few other things to get ready for limerock on this coming thursday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Which ones are you interested in? I'm still sorting out some details with the rear suspension, as I'm interested in a swaybar in the rear to compensate for front wheel lift. I also don't like the axle side of the panhard rod, as it allows movement. I'm also thinking of toying with an alternative suspension linkage. I noticed that frontline spridget has a mumford link rear suspension unit that seems very interesting -- that would definitely require a rear swaybar. At any rate, I'm also (obviously) looking into doing front wheel bearing conversions to tapered roller instead of spherical ball bearing and eventually double bearing rear hubs also.

Do you have any engine mods and front suspension mods? I would like to see some pictures of those if you have them.
I've been working on the rear suspension today, putting in new bushings and checking the panhard bar to see how its set up( I haven't really gotten underneath the car to see how everything is set up since we bought it last year).
Have you converted to tube shocks in the rear? I have the spax shocks and the panhard bar, and it seems very stable. I've been considering doing a Koni coilover front conversion too.
If it would be easier for you, you can email the pics to my email: johnnynumfiv@gmail.com .