• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

This goes to Miss Agathas first show.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What have I left out, what else should I include?

This is a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite, Mark I, a Bugeye or Frogeye. Her name is Miss Agatha.

I found her in Texas in 2006 as a rolling rusting tub. She had been stuck away in a warehouse for many years.

The next year and a half were spent restoring her to pretty much original with a few updates like a spin on oil filter. I did all the work except for paint and machining. Every single item on her that wears has been replaced or rebuilt, she is effectively a new old car.

Miss Agatha is not quite finished and probably never will be, as it seems there is always something else to mess with like changing out parts for better ones as I find them.

She runs just fine, top speed about 70 and is never taken out of the garage unless the weather is clear and the streets dry. In the garage she is covered and pampered like the lady she is.

Miles per gallon, high 30s, but we talk about smiles per mile and she gets lots and lots of big grins. Do not stop unless you have time to kill, everyone wants to talk and has stories of their own.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That sounds pretty good to me. Might be nice to add in a few before/after photos as well, to show how far she has come.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds great, Jack. Goodness, I want to get on with my own program. I'm still out of work with my knee and all I can think about is all the little bits that I know I could do without standing if I could get get it painted. Much as it pains me and I hate to do it, I might have to enlist some help to get over this hurdle.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Help is good, just provide beer.

Yep will be a full book of pics from first to last, many more than are on my site.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds great!

Always enjoy, seeing the pics.

Pat

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Nothing about the experience of the restoration. You have done alot and are to be comended for it all because the car is beautiful. But, the trip in the restoration is also a beautiful story with all who you have met, all the times things have gone together, then back apart and back together again. Any who look at Miss Agatha will enjoy this too.. Anyway, enjoy the show, because Miss Agatha will shine.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Take it to a sign shop & have them make a nice sign - put some before photos on it.....& get a tent to put over it so Miss A & her admirers won't get sunburned.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Jack,

I have a nice leather bound photo album of MG restoration photos that I take with me to shows. It shows the story of my car and restoration start to finish. (as you said is there ever a finish?!) It's great and it really helps others understand all the work I put into my car.

bugimike

Yoda
tony barnhill said:
<span style="color: #FF0000">Take it to a sign shop & have them make a nice sign -</span> put some before photos on it.....& get a tent to put over it so Miss A & her admirers won't get sunburned.

Good advice Jack, but let me know first! I am in the sign biz, have followed Miss A's progress from the start and would be glad to contribute another 2 cents worth!! PM me with your final and lets see what we can do! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif
(PS don't forget the key fob for the shows!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Key fob is right here on computer in front of me, I look at it daily and marvil at it.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
P1010003.jpg

Jack, you mentioned a sign. I've done that for the last couple years. I did the artwork in MS Word, saved it as a PDF, and dropped it by Kinkos. They blew it up to fit a standard size aluminum poster frame. I had the print mounted on foamboard and clear laminated...you don't want to use glass! The frame sits on a desktop style aluminum easel. On a breezy day take along a bean or sand bag to weight down the easel and use a large rubber band or small bungee to attach the frame to the easel.

The photo above is from Euroautofest 2005, hosted by BMW at the Zentrum, in Spartanburg, SC. Took a "First In Class"!

Ray

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hehe, but Ray you got a real first class car. Miss Agatha is only second class.

What does your sign say?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Please email me a word doc. My old eyes say so.

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
Jack, I've never done a show but I'd recommend the following to go with your sign:
Large umbrella for shade
Two fold up chairs for you and the missus
Nice big cooler box with plenty of food and drinks
Sunscreen
Camera
Radio

Take these, and your day should be nice and relaxing!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think you are correct.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Re: Things to take to a show

Keep in mind that at many shows the trailer parking is somewhat removed from the show field. Also, at most shows, you MUST drive the car onto the field...which you would want to do anyway /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif That said, be sure your umbrella and chairs will fit in the car. I found some individual clamp on umbrellas at Walmart earlier this summer that attach easily to most any bag chair...and they were VERY cheap (<$5 ea). Also, the big umbrellas and four legged canopys tend to blow over too easily.

You will also want a Claifornia Duster and a detail bag (cloth or canvas to protect your paint) just large enough to hold your spray detailer, tire shine, glass cleaner, and leather or vinyl cleaner. I've found that the instant detailer works well as long as you have a good wax base to apply it over; even works good on chrome. And, don't apply it to a hot surface, let the car cool a bit.

I like to get there early so I can find a shady spot, if there is one. BUT...be aware that most trees will will present a "fallout" problem, not just leaves, but sap (or some kind of sticky liquid). And it's not just in the early spring. I did a local cruise/show Saturday evening and my TR3 got painted with the stuff (fortunately it washed right off the next morning). Best of all worlds is a shady place next to your sunny parking spot!

Other items: plastic trash bag, lint roller from Walmart (use it to do a quick cleanup of the carpet), notepad and pen, preprinted car, club, and personal info (you'll get tired of people asking and having to write it down), car cover (in case of a quick shower), towels and waterless hand soap.

I have a battery cut-off (green thumbscrew type on one batter terminal) that I turn OFF while at the show. If not, you may want to unscrew any bulbs that may be on throughout the day (doors, bonnet, boot-lid...if you have one :smile:.

Ray

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good advise all. I will follow it. Understand this is my first so I will do a lot of learning.

Will be in Ft. Walton Beach, at the Hi School parking lot. They expect about 300 cars or so and 53 classes.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]at the Hi School parking lot[/QUOTE]

Blacktop!!

Definitely go get one of those tent shelters to keep her (& you) out of the sun!