• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A The "Counting Cars Effect?"

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

I enjoy watching the wide variety of auto-themed shows on channels like History and Velocity. My particular favorite is "Wheeler Dealers" which makes me long for an Ed China-like mechanic whom I can drop off a car and have it repaired cheerfully, almost instantly, and at almost no cost.

Anyway, I've been back in the US briefly and have been driving my TR3 around the DC Metro area just a bit. Yesterday I was twice accosted by two separate duos on different occasions who pulled up next to me screaming "Hey, is that car for sale!" and "I buy classic cars!" and then asking me to pull over and discuss it with them. This is like the show "Counting Cars" on the History channel. When the second guy asked (out his car window) "What'll you take?" I though I'd shut him up by saying $40,000. He then counter offered at $28,000 and I just continued to drive away - as if I'd sell my car to a complete stranger at a stop light at 9:00 at night.

Is anyone else having similar experiences?

Mike Pennell

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I get that from time to time. I suspect they aren't serious, just curious to have some idea of what the car is worth. Usually they haven't the faintest idea of what it is or what it's worth. Or maybe they are foolish enough to believe that "reality" shows have anything to do with reality.

I generally don't take offense; after all it's better than "Hey Buddy, izzat an MG?". I just tell them it's not for sale, then if they insist, $50,000. Which is the truth, if someone did come up with that kind of money, I'd sell it and start over.

Of course we aren't going to transact business on a street corner; first they need to pay the $50k to an escrow service of my choosing and pay their fee to guarantee the money is good. Of course I don't expect to ever be taken up on the offer, but there is some "silly money" running around here ...

doc50

Jedi Trainee
TR3 Driver - Randall, where in SoCal are you?
I just finished my '59 resto and am looking for TR3 folks around here.
I'm in Wildomar.

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I get that from time to time. I suspect they aren't serious,

I think you're right. I have always driven 20+ year-old cars, and have always gotten the "how much would you take for that". I finally figured out that they don't have any interest in buying...it's just curiosity in what it's worth. If they were serious, THEY would throw out an offer instead of asking you what you want. Even the "Count" on History channel makes 99% of the first offers, showing he's serious. But now days I simply respond with another non- serious answer, like, "how much you got"!?!

dklawson

Yoda
I get those type of conversations at gas stations but never at night. Like Randall, I always figure it to be polite curiosity more than sincere interest. I've had one or two people press the issue at which point I change the conversation a bit by asking "So do you like working on your own cars?" The conversation usually ends a few moments later when I add in that there are only a couple of shops in the area that will work on the car and that it's not as low maintenance as a Honda or Toyota.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR3 Driver - Randall, where in SoCal are you?
I just finished my '59 resto and am looking for TR3 folks around here.
I'm in Wildomar.
I live in Lakewood, just north of Long Beach. At the moment, though, I'm in Torrance.

I know there are several TR3 owners in the Temecula area, lots closer to you than I am. I'll try to PM you an email address when I get home (don't have it on this machine).

Both of the LA area clubs meet at Maggie's Pub in Santa Fe Springs
https://www.maggiespub.com/
You're welcome any time, no need to join. TRSC is 4th Tuesday every month (except December), while SCTOA is 1st Tuesday. The meetings officially start at 7:30 PM, but lots of folks come early and have dinner, chat and so on. I'm afraid I haven't been going much lately, though. More info at
https://trsc1977.com/
and
https://www.sctoa.org/SCTOA/Welcome.html

I assume you know about Triumphest later this month in Santa Maria. Probably aren't any rooms left at the club rate, but they might have a couple at the regular rate or there are other hotels in the area. Should be a couple hundred Triumph enthusiasts there (although again, I probably won't be). Looking and talking is free, but you'll need to pay admission to participate in the events and so on. Lots of fun, I recommend it.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not exactly the same thing, but I was cruising across the Houston beltway mid Friday morning. In the mirror, I noticed a motorcycle gaining on me rapidly so I pulled from the leftmost lane into the next slower lane as soon as I saw a break in the stream of traffic. I was still going about 75 when I realized the cycle was next to me and just pacing alongside. I looked under the window flap (I had the top up) and realized it was a motorcycle cop. He looked closely at me above his large dark sunglasses, and with his black leather gloved right hand, gave me a thumbs up and notably mouthed "Nice Looking Car". Then he sped off and disappeared in the traffic.

We get all sorts of attention in these cars. Some of it is more welcome than others.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Speaking of welcome attention:

I've posted this before, but when I had my TR3, I had stopped for gas. A woman came up to me and said, "Bet you don't have any trouble picking up girls in THAT!" A married clergy near 60... wonder what her comment would have been if I'd had my collar on!

Oh, and just yesterday, I was filling up the GT and another attractive woman walked up and said "I had to come take a look at your MG - what is it, a '68, '69?" Said she had a B a while back and would like to find one. I was impressed!

Why didn't I have one of these when I was in my prime and single? ~OK - no jokesters, please!~

Country flag
Had a 56 TR3 in College, painted with Farmall tractor red enamel (second TR3), always had some girls riding with me. One day a meek looking guy stopped and asked about the car. He asked if I would sell it, I fired off a price, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a check book. Wrote me a check for full price right then. Never saw the car again but got me thinking. Bought a TR4 the next day for less than half the price of the TR3.

Marv

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Had a 56 TR3 in College, painted with Farmall tractor red enamel (second TR3), always had some girls riding with me. One day a meek looking guy stopped and asked about the car. He asked if I would sell it, I fired off a price, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a check book. Wrote me a check for full price right then. Never saw the car again but got me thinking. Bought a TR4 the next day for less than half the price of the TR3.

Marv

And so it began!

doc50

Jedi Trainee
"TR3 Driver/ Randall:
Lakewood! I had my health care practice at Bellflower and Carson for some years! Love the area, know it well!

I do know a couple people here in the Temecula area, just wanted to 'expand the range' so to speak.

We're in the process of replacing a troublesome transmission in our restored 1971 Revcon motorhome to take it back east for a month or so. When back home, I'd like to contact you so I can perhaps visit. I have a couple friends in Lakewood that I wanted to show the car to anyway!

Thom
thomwessels1950 at 'gee mail' dot com
1959 TR3 #TS34909L(O)
1971 Revcon 250 (mothership/towing vehicle for TR3)

CJD

Yoda
Country flag

Marv

I bet to this day you still wonder sometimes if you coulda' got more!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
As many of your know, I bought my TR3A brand new in May 1958. In 2005, I was at a car show when two immaculate D Jaquars came onto the field. One was driven by a doctor and the other by his wife. They were about 45 years old. He insisted on buying my TR3A. I replied that I was the original owner and my car would never be for sale. He replied, "Every car and everyone has a price - what's yours?". I ignored him. He is probably a plastic surgeon doing boob jobs at outrageous prices and for him price would have been no object.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So tell us, Don, would you really not take a million for it? How about 10 million?