• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tech question

capitalcitycars

Jedi Trainee
Hello all. I purchased a midget for restoration in Sept 2005 and I ran into a little problem. I have a 1976 MG Midget with the 1500 engine with manual choke. During the current restoration, the non-functioning cei distibutor was replaced with a Mallory dual point distributor, carb upgraded to a Weber DGV, ignition celenoid replaced, starter replaced, alternator replaced. The car started instantly but refused to shut off even with the battery turned off and key removed from ignition. I replaced the iginition assembly but the problem is still occurring and the red light on dash stays lit. Also, I have no tach. Any suggestions would be most helpful. You can see the car at my website @ www.freewebs.com/lansingmidget.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
First, I recommend posting this question in the "Spridgets" forum also, because that particular forum is dedicated to Sprites and Midgets. So, there's a chance of someone there with more knowledge of your car to reply than in this forum.

I'll try and help spur the trouble shooting process though. Have you checked your ignition switch? Is is cutting power to the ignition coil? Is the ignition coil connected properly? If it's connected improperly it may be possible that it's drawing power directly from the alternator. If I'm not mistaken the tach gets its reading from the coil on some cars, though I must admit I don't know if that's the case in your car. However, if the tach isn't working and the ignition coil never gets interrupted then I'd probably start looking there.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in this area of trouble shooting will be along shortly...

best of luck to ya

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
never mind my first statement.... I see you've already done that.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

Replace your Duracell battery with a non-bunny battery or double check the wiring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

"B"s are the only ones with Bunnies in them. Midgits have full grow squirrels.

mark

OP
C

capitalcitycars

Jedi Trainee
I shot the bunny already and put in a few hamsters. If I knew what other wiring to check, i wouldn't be posting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I seem to recall that some failure mode of the alternator would feed power back through the ignition switch. I think that "back in the day" JRT had a service bulletin for this that placed a diode in the alternator harness. It has been 20 plus years since I encountered this problem, so my defective memory might be playing tricks. I would think that if you ran the car with the Alt. disconnected, and the car stopped normally, at least you would have a direction to go in. If not, I would carefully recheck the ignition wiring.

D

Deleted member 3577

What alternator/voltage regulator combo are you using & did you replace the IGN switch with an OEM type. Try pulling your IGN warning light bulb.

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Get the correct wiring diagram for that particular car and trace the circuits. I think that you have just switched a wire. If you don't find it that way call Mallory and tell them what is going on and they will walk you through the fix. Jack