• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Steering parts, TR3

fogdot

Jedi Hopeful
I am about to order a set of tie rod ends. Mine are stiff and seem to be grinding internally when I try to wiggle them. I assume they should move smoothly by hand when new.
I couldn't get the "steering pins" out, but haven't yet resorted to brute force with the pickle fork. they are often called silent blocks, like the spring bushings. Where is the movement in them when steering? Is it between the outer diameter and the steering rod? or between the tapered end and the idler arm? or does the rubber just wind up?
There are no grease fittings in the area, is there any lubricant when assembling? maybe anti sieze?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
fogdot said:
I am about to order a set of tie rod ends. Mine are stiff and seem to be grinding internally when I try to wiggle them. I assume they should move smoothly by hand when new.
Probably nothing wrong with them a little grease wouldn't cure. Even new ones are pretty stiff, it's when they start getting loose that you should worry.

fogdot said:
I couldn't get the "steering pins" out, but haven't yet resorted to brute force with the pickle fork.
Pickle forks generally don't work well here. It will tear the rubber (if it isn't already) and break away the plate that keeps the silentbloc from coming apart. Then you can lift away the link and be left with the center pin and no way to grab it with the pickle fork.

These work better
https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TA-61900.html

fogdot said:
Where is the movement in them when steering? Is it between the outer diameter and the steering rod? or between the tapered end and the idler arm? or does the rubber just wind up?
The rubber just winds up.

fogdot said:
There are no grease fittings in the area, is there any lubricant when assembling? maybe anti sieze?
Oil & grease are the enemies of the rubber in the silentbloc. If you want to use anti-seize, use it only on the threads and not on the taper. The taper needs to lock solidly, else it will work in the hole and eventually wear it out.

BTW, I got frustrated with the short life of the Silentblocs, and replaced them with brass/stainless steel from BFE. Not cheap, took some work to make them fit just right (also added grease zerks to lube them), but I was very happy with the result. Years and 1000's of miles later, they still looked new. I'll be transferring them to my 'new' TR3.