• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A New parts for my TR3's steering

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
While Erik has the engine out of my car to be rebuilt, I decided to also have him completly rebuild my steering system also.

Here are some of the the parts I got for rebuilding the steering system. I've already dropped off new tie rod ends with Erik last week.

I just got these parts today to drop off on Thurs. The upper left of the pic is the uprated steering pins from TRF with Delrin bushes. The lower left are nylon/Superpro polyurethane bushes from RevingtonTR for the Steering column to replace the felt bushes. The lower right is an upgraded Idler arm, also from RevingtoTR, that's rebushed with oilite bushes and also RevingtonTR's steering box cover with a spring loaded pin that provides pressure on the peg inside the steering box.

Hopefully when it's all done I should see quite an improvement with the steering on the car!

IMG_0136.JPG

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I don't know how bad your steering was, but I did the Revington spring loaded swap and it helped, but did not change anything dramaticly. Maybe with all the other new parts you'll see a greater improvement.
I've also got 2 TR3s and on the second one, but ended up buying a rack and pinion conversion kit for it. I've installed it, but haven't gotten the rebuilt engine back in to drive it. I'm hoping the rack conversion makes a great difference. I heard it does.
Good luck with your rebuild and let us know how it turns out.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Erik's got all the TR engines in th NE in his shop. Going to hold them all hostage.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I like how the idle arm has the grease fitting in the middle, and do you suppose the reason it has a nut on the bottom was too easy in manufacturing. I purchased my last suspension rebuild from TRF and found their stuff nice and stock, but I think if I had it to do over again, I would use the nylon bushing on the silentbloc
Steve

OP
Number_6

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Scott, This is the the only TR3 I've driven so I really can't compare it to any others. But anything over 35mph my steering was all over the road. It was really difficult to keep it going in anywhere near a straight line. So I'm guessing my car was probably worse than the average car. I couldn't imagine trying to drive it on the highway at 65.

Besides these parts, I'm having the whole steering box redone, new seals, bearings, bushes, peg & cam. So I'm hoping when it's done along with the upgraded parts, that should remove a lot of the excess play, it'll be better than it was when it left the factory. :thumbsup:

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Many years ago, I knew someone with a TR3 who claimed when he ran over a bug, he could tell what gender it was. Never drove one, so I can't say. Some of that stuff you are replacing is 50+ years old, so it has to be an improvement.

Colin

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I put in a spring-loaded peg that I bought from Protek in Wallingford, England, before Neil Revinton started to make them. It took out all the slop from my steering. But I have to add that a few 1000 miles earlier, I had re-built all the other links, joints and silent blocks with new parts. It has been fine for the last 80,000 miles.

The main reason for the sloppiness is the tapered peg that goes down into the groove on the helical groove in the worm.

Attachments

• 11063.jpg
    11063.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 179

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
"That's my car! I built it with my own two hands! I know every nut, bolt and cog on it!" - Number 6

thats gotta be from "the prisoner"

loved that show

OP
Number_6

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
sail said:
"That's my car! I built it with my own two hands! I know every nut, bolt and cog on it!" - Number 6

thats gotta be from "the prisoner"

loved that show

That's exactly right, I loved that show also, the opening scenes with Patrick MacGoohan blasting thru London in the Lotus 7 is what i think got me interested in sportscars. I still remeber watching it on the telly when I was just a kid. It's a line that Patrick MacGoohan used in the Prisoner("Many Happy Returns") when he saw some one else driving his Lotus 7.

I always thought it was very fiting when I was working on my Jag project. Since I don't have as much time anymore to do all the serious work on the TR3 I was thinking I should change it to:
"That's my car! I had someone else build it with there own two hands! My mechanic knows every nut, bolt and cog on it!"

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
thats good. stick with the line, your probably doing plenty. yes I remember the episode when he went back to london, saw his car and said that line although at the time i had no idea what it was. i suppose mine would be
"thats my car, i manage to fumble around enough to make it run from time to time."
the forum has been great help with that.

OP
Number_6

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This forum is great. I'm glad a friend of mine refered it to me. There is always so much more to learn about LBC's.

It's been years since I picked up a wrench and have done any real work though.

Fourtunatly for me I did have a good teacher, when it came to mechanical things, my dad. He was a chief B-17 mechanic(and a turret gunner) but he could pretty much do anything that was mechnical. He taught me a lot.

OP
Number_6

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
"Who is Number 1?"
"You are, Number 6."

My sons are in Little league this year on different teams. By coincidence they both got Number 6 as their jersey number!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Number_6 said:
This forum is great. I'm glad a friend of mine refered it to me. ...

With friends like that who needs....

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Steve,

I would think the grease nipple in the center of the idler assembly is an improvement. Lubricating the original with the grease on the bottom required the new grease to move through a small slot as it travel up the arm. Hardened grease can easily block new grease from being pumped in. Lack of lubrication in the idler arm can stiffen the steering greatly.

If and when I have to change out the silent bloc bushings I plan on using the new style replacements. I think they will greatly simplify the job.

TR3sharon

I just finished up this exact project. In hindsight, I would have gotten the self adjusting plate but with the limited mileage I put on, I probably wouldn't need it.
I believe the worst of my wandering steering was due to the old silent blocs.
Good luck!

OP
Number_6

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, but he gets to drive his MG!