• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 parts original and Repro quality

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Looking for feedback as to quality of various repro parts on the market,which I realize can vary from vendor to vendor,vs used original.
For example repro Lucas mirrors,door handles and latches,hood and trunk hinges,stone guards and fender beading.
Thanks
Tom

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Only thing I can comment on is the stone guards which don't fit for sh**. It takes some bending and modifying to get them to fit somewhat close. Maybe it's just the ones I had to deal with though. I have no idea where the customer got them.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On stone guards -- I have worked with 2 sets. The ones from PA were (IMO) not as easy to fit as the ones from KS. They're all a bit fiddly but given what they're made of NOS or used are unlikely options.

Trunk hinges and beading have always been fine but that is pretty low-tech stuff that is not a fiddly fit.

The real original vs repro issue for me comes with things like fuel pumps, water pumps, generators, etc i.e. rebuildable items wherein originals may be superior to repros.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for replies.
I had heard that chrome quality and durability was an issue with hinges and mirrors,and saw some nos stone gaurds that seemed about double TRF so thought they may be better fit,thicker etc.
Geo-Who are KS and PA?
Thanks
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO, the stone guards from TRF come deliberately oversize, so they can be cut down to fit snugly against the car. Hold them up to the car, and trace the outline onto the guard using a wide pencil (so the line is some fixed distance from the body work). Cut to that line, repeat as necessary until they fit.

The repro Lucas wing mirrors looked really nice. The little rubber gaskets that go between the stem and body don't seem to be the same quality as originals; they seemed to crack and break rather sooner. Tex Automotive in the UK is probably the best supplier, but I didn't ask for their price.

Bonnet/boot hinges I got from TRF were fine. As always, I removed the studs and ran a bottoming tap into the hole, then used Loctite when replacing the studs. Also check that the nuts fit well onto the studs; this set was fine but I've seen some where the studs were plated oversize and did not fit the nuts. Oh yeah, I also had to cut down the studs that go into the back of the bonnet, they were too long and would hit the bodywork with it closed. I don't recall if I had to cut down the boot studs or not, but it's worth checking. They only need to be long enough to reach to the surface of the tightened nut.

Beading from the same source was OK. The tabs were kind of loose and would slide around, but that may be "as original"
grin.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Repro Lucas mirrors,door handles and latches,hood and trunk hinges,stone guards I bought from Moss, and all fit well. The quality of chrome seems good, but time will tell. I also bought the stone guards from Moss, and one side fit almost perfectly, and the other size needed a bit of fiddling. My original beading was in good enough shape to reuse, and yes, the tabs slide all over the place. The front beading I pop-riveted to the wings before installing the apron. Makes the operation a one man job. Also, it makes subsequent removal of the apron much easier...one less thing to mess with.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randall , Art, Geo,
Thanks.This is just the info I need.
Randall,when you say cut down the stone gaurd ,do yo mean the top wavey line?
Thnaks
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW, here is what I experienced. These are edge-on views of the smaller guard. The one on the left is a new/repro from TRF. The one on the right is an older repro that came from Vicky Brit about 10 years ago:

Stoneguards.JPG

I was originally going to replace all 4 pieces but when I saw how that new lower piece was going to fit (or not fit) I opted instead to only replace the one large piece that had been badly damaged. Got it from Moss just because at that time they were the only ones selling the individual pieces, everyone else sold as a set.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TFB said:
Randall,when you say cut down the stone gaurd ,do yo mean the top wavey line?
Yes, exactly. However, I made the mistake of asking the body shop to do that, and they did a crappy job, IMO. Apparently used a grinder to cut it, which of course left a huge burr, which they didn't bother to remove. Next time, I'll do it myself!

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randall,Ok i got it.If to big the fender starts to curve away and there would be a gap.
Geo,i will have to look at my beat up originals,if they are original.Seems like a big difference on the corner profile of your two examples.
Thnaks again
Tom

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
TFB said:
Looking for feedback as to quality of various repro parts on the market,which I realize can vary from vendor to vendor,vs used original.
For example repro Lucas mirrors,door handles and latches,hood and trunk hinges,stone guards and fender beading.
Thanks
Tom

Tom: I see that you are relatively new to BCF. This has been a topic of great interest here and on other LBC forums. If you want some good reading on this topic, I suggest that you utilize the search feature. I know its out there because I have been very vocal concerning parts quality. Some of my fellow enthusiasts feel that these discussions have been ad naseum, but IMO, we need to keep our suppliers aware of our concerns. Otherwise, we shouldn't really expect to see much improvement.

You will find that some parts not only vary from vendor to vendor but also from batch to batch for a given vendor. During the 10 years we have been working on the 3A, we have had to be creative when ordering some parts. There have been time when we ordered the same part from TRF, Moss and VB. We would select the best one and return the others. I'm not recommending this practice but there have been times when we had no other choice when we were pressed for time. Fortunately the shop has accounts with all of these firms, which makes it a lot easier to return parts that don't pass QC.

Another thing, I don't believe this quality problem is related to "country of manufacture". For a spirited discussion on this topic go here:

https://triumphregister.lefora.com/2010/08/14/reproduction-parts-quality/#post14

Finally: Look for my post regarding the new Moss master cylinders (TR3A). I made a definite point to praise Moss for offering an excellent product for an affordable price.

Best regards,

Frank

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Frank,Thanks for reply and heads up about the gold mc's.
The few times i tried search I got pages and pages of posts,most not relevant.
More interested in quality than country-why else would an Irish guy want a British sports car.
Off to California tomorrow for R&R
thanks
Tom
PS.
I truly appreciate all the expert help that I have got from this forums members.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
TFB said:
Frank,Thanks for reply and heads up about the gold mc's.
The few times i tried search I got pages and pages of posts,most not relevant.
More interested in quality than country-why else would an Irish guy want a British sports car.
Off to California tomorrow for R&R
thanks
Tom
PS.
I truly appreciate all the expert help that I have got from this forums members.

Enjoy yourself. Have a pint or three!