• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Jammed Steering Box

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was changing the bottom bearing, new gaskets and adding new thicker grease, from Moss, in my steering box. I replaced the bearing, added the shims back in, new grease and a new gasket. I then removed the top plate, added new grease before I replaced the top cover with a new gasket. Then I apparently made a BIG mistake. I thought if I slowly moved the steering wheel back and forth it would distribute the grease and i could add some more. As I moved the wheel, the box locked up tight. I could not move the wheels. Then I realized that the cover apparently get the shaft peg in the cam grove by keeping the Rocker Shaft from rising to far. I thought if I removed the large nut from the Rocker Shaft I could raise the shaft and get the peg on the shaft back into the right cam grove.

Nothing has worked so far. I am going to remove the bottom cover now along with the shims and bearing. I am hoping the slack in the cam might unlock whatever is jammed in there.

Help! Dick Vinal

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Probably what happened is the peg hopped over the top of the worm gear and is stuck on the top edge of the worm gear. The thing now is to keep the top roller bearing and its race in place.

Moving the steering wheel will most likely cause problems. I would not move the steering wheel unless it is absolutely necessary to free the peg. There should be no reason to pull back on the steering wheel because that could separate the ball bearings from there race or make the race or bearing slip away from each other.

If I am correct about the peg being stuck on the top edge of the worm, you need to gently tease the peg back into the grove. Once you have done that, you can reassemble the end piece with great care and not moving the steering wheel with the top cover off or the peg can hope over and get stuck again. In addition, do not move the steering wheel without the ball bearing centered with the races in its place. The end race will be tricky because it floats on the end piece until every in the steering box is aligned. Try holding it with some heavy grease

If the end plate is off the bottom of the housing, the bearing and race have to be centered in the end piece when you reassemble.

The worm gear is very brittle and striking the peg against the worm gear with force will chip the worm.

You will not luck and skill, steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks, how do you gently tease the peg? I have even tried to lift the rocker with a screw driver, would not move. I even tried to loosen the nut on the rocker shaft, would not go up.Do you think that if I remove the lower plate, shims and bearing, the cam will drop down enough to loosen the peg? Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You’re attempting a bench operation on the vehicle. The way you are going about it is destined to fail.

First, if you replaced a worm bearing, then you must set the worm preload with the sector shaft removed. This is done with adjustments to the shim pack. Once this is set, then you must install the sector shaft and adjust the peg depth at steering center.

I can provide more detail, but to get started at this point, you need to pull the gear to the bench. You’ll need a new sector shaft seal, cover gaskets, and likely new sector shaft bushing and peg. When you are done, you can use 20w oil if you like and it won’t leak, and your steering will be without any slop.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
First off John is absolutely correct.

Is this the box you had rebuilt?

Did you take off the end plate once already? If you did, then nothing is going to be correct after that?

Is the peg up on the edge of the worm gear?

Steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve,

I removed the bottom plate and with tension off the cam, the Rocker peg dropped right down in the groove of the cam. I replaced both plates, after refilling with the new grease. Wheel turns now like a charm.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Dick I wanted to add that it took a lot of skill to fix the box the way you did, good job. Anyways remember the steering needs to be set with a little drag in the center as the shaft moves from side. The tie connector moves in a very slight arch when the wheels go from left to right. I have seen many boxes where the peg hoped out and got stick on top of the worm and chipped the worm.

Steve

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That is interesting I am referring to the adjustment screw on top of the cover that sets the shaft pressure. When the wheel is turned all the left and then all the way right, the plane it travels on is not completely horizontal. It is high in the center that is how the peg popped out the first time.

Fixing the bump bump with crease is interring because when my grandson plays in my car and moves the wheel back and forth, sometimes I hear a bump from something; it must be from the peg. The grease must have cushioned it.

Steve