• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

starting from scratch. need help to get started

whit_iii

Hello,

I just took ownership of a family owned 1957/58 Austin Healey 100-6. I am just starting the process of figuring out what to do with it in order to begin the restoration as it has sat in a barn for 30 years. The body appears to be rust free, but the floor is in rough shape both in the passenger and trunk compartments. I have the guide to the Austin Healeys for restroration as well as a the guide to restoring British Sportscars. Neither of these books really goes into good detail as to what tools are needed or an overall project plan as to where to start. My father in law stripped out all of the interior panels, flooring, etc. as this took most of the 30 years of abuse so cleaning this area out is a priority as well.

Does anyone have suggestions on good reference books and/or suggestions on how to equip the 'toolbox' along with the planned mode of attack? I have also debated about getting 5 gallons of the evapo-rust to start trying to bring life back to some rusted/dirty parts. I think at the very least I plan on getting an air compressor, but I am not sure what type to get and which tools one would use with it. Folks say buy the biggest one you can, but I would like to justify the expense to my better half by outlining exactly what it could be used for and what specific amount of CFM is needed for a specific tool. Any information would be appreciated, but very specific information regarding tools, plans, book recommendations would be very helpful.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Don

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Re: starting from scratch. need help to get starte

Don - welcome to the forum and sounds like a nice project. I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions here.

I also agree about the largest compressor you can buy meaning not some industrial giant but something with good cfm. I have a medium size and wish I had one 3 times as big for sand (media) blasting which you may never do but if you do...

Other tools? Personally I can only suggest starting your work and then buy tools as you need them. There are so many you may need and then others you may never use. Will you be welding? What kind of body work? Specailty tools for suspension etc.

Again, I would start and buy as needed.

Send some pictures!!!!

Bruce

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag

The car is the price of admission into a whole world of British cars and restoration. You are on the right track here...you will learn much from some very knowledgeable folks. There are also AH clubs you can join, and perhaps you can locate someone nearby who can "mentor" you. Go to Brit car shows if you can...that way you can see first hand what you are aiming for, and keep a digital camera heandy. Of course, if you would rather not get so involved, you can always sell that car. I'm sure there are many who would be interested. Enjoy the journey.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

Don - I agree with both statements above - find some local British cr nuts and pick their brains - lots around the Boston area - check out British Car Marque magazine for some leads, or even check the phone book for british car repair, or parts, clubs, etc..... search the big Internet for other possibilities.
Personally, I prefer hand tools, not air powered. Unless you plan on painting everything yourself, then go for the high air flow, large volumne compressor. Rentals are also possible! Welcome!

OP
W

whit_iii

Thanks for the feedback. I will need to absorb all of the information from your replies as well as this forum to start diving into the project. I tried to attach a picture of the car as well from when I moved it to our garage. I will have to figure out how to add it to my signature, but the photo has been added to the member photo's within the Austin Healey section.
Thanks again.
Don

BlackHealey

Don, I restored my first Austin Healey two years ago and have since restored a second. The learning curve is incredible. I read all the books I could find on restoring cars, restoring british cars, and Austin Healeys. I then found a 1958 100-6 BN6 (2 seater) that was stripped to the skeleton. I was restoring this car as a surprise 58th birthday present for my dad, so I knew it had to be right.
It is very important that you join a local Healey club. I did this before I found the first car and their knowledge was incredible. I have made some wonderful friends because of my club membership.

The tools I bought before I started were:

1 craftsman stackable (red) tool cabinet(like you see in mechanic's shops)
A craftsman mechanics hand tool set (approx 400 hand tools), rubber mallet, medium ballpein hammer, handheld propane torch with self ignitor, high speed drill, cordless drill, 6 jack stands, floor jack, 5 hp 125 psi 75 gallon air compressor(tools came with compressor, hvlp paintgun, air ratchet, air hammer, die grinder, sandblasting gun, air wrench etc.)
hacksaw, flare nut wrenches, gear puller, and a homemade sandblasting box.

When I started cleaning parts and removing the front suspension, which was the only part attached to the frame, I realized that the books helped me identify the parts, but did not truly teach me how to remove them and clean them. You learn a lot by doing. Make sure you have about 200 zip lock baggies (sandwich and quart size) a sharpie marker, a pad of paper to take notes, draw diagrams or make a list of what you find that needs to be replaced, along with a Moss catalog (aka picture by numbers). I also went through 8 disposable cameras during the restoration. Get a digital, it is easier and cheaper in the long run!

I knew a good amount about cars prior to the restoration. I did all but the painting and body work on my own. Now I know a lot about cars, and a whole lot about Healeys.
Make sure you do not move quicker than your brain works. When I took a component apart, I cleaned it, repainted it, rebuilt it, and put it on the shelf. I never focused on more than one part of the car at a time and it only took me 1 year to restore the Healey. Most people move too quickly for their brain, and don't remember how things came apart or go back together. You will end up doing most things 2 or 3 times before you are finished. This is normal. I installed/removed and re-installed the front suspension 3 times before considering it done.

When I started on my second Healey, it only took me 6 months to restore, because the learning curve was complete and my organization system worked.

For my second car, I bought a mig welder because I wanted to do some of the body/chassis work on my own. However, if you become good friends with a body shpp or blacksmith, this may not be necessary. I just like having toys in my garage!

I hope this helps. If you need any specific advice or help, I will be glad to help via phone. Just let me know. I am now looking to embark on my 3rd restoration.

Good Luck.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Congratulations on your purchase Don. I know you'll have lot's of satisfaction restoring the car. A Craftsman 5hp compressor usually is sufficent to operate various cut offs and air wrenches and even maybe the occasional paint job. I say that because most people I know who restore these cars paint the frame and chassis themselves, some even the inside of fenders, doors etc. I would highly reccomend you have the steel parts of the car acid dipped. It'll cost about $600 but will be well worth the cost in the long run.
Good luck with your restoration, and do join a local Austin Healey club.

congratulations on your healey,a great source for the beginner is the local high school,for very little money you can take a class in body and fender work,some classes include painting,and also auto mechanics,these are compressed versions of the subjects for adults and will also teach you what type of tools youll be needing to buy,joining a club is also a great idea,as i said these classes are very inexpensive and youll learn a lot in a very shortperiod of time,good luck and enjoy,

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd not go lower than an 8 cubic foot comp myself, not must diff in the pricing, electric generally dont collect as much water as fuel powered ones, dont forget to put water traps in line tho!

tayo

Freshman Member
free shipping

any body who want to buy a car u can get it here in our company u can also mail me at [DELETED] we have alot

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Re: free shipping

Hi Basil,
I think we have someone for the chopping block. Even trying to sell a car from one of our own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spam.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spam.gif

P.S. Happy Birthday!!

David

Re: free shipping

Don,
For rust repair I use a Sawsall to remove the big chunks of sheetmetal and frame pieces. Cut off wheels, cold chiesels, and big hammers are necessary. After removing all rusted areas then have the frame blasted or acid dipped, your choice, both have their own inherent problems. A small MIG welder will handle most of the replacement of the panels. Try to take careful measurments before dismantling and pre fit doors before final welding of floors/sills/and/or rockerpanels. Contact me off this forum directly at frogeye@swcp.com if you need specific questions answered.
Dave-Taos Garage Annex-Albuq. NM

OP
W

whit_iii

Re: rust repair

Thanks for the feedback Dave. The most daunting project for me will be where new sheet metal is required so I am a little worried about the welding piece. I would have to investigate it further. Thanks again.