• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spedo bezel

rampant

Has anyone tried to swap the ring bezels from the spedo and tack on a late model mgb to the earlier chrome ones, is this possible?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I may be wrong, but I think they're different sizes. The earlier gauges are a bigger diameter.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Earlier instruments are smaller....however, you can take the paint off the later bezel & polish it!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
aroo? there were some painted bezels? the bezels on my '76 are chrome... is that not stock?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Inside edge of the later bezels had black paint on them....but over the years of cleaning the paint rubs off

Here's my '77 B dash... It has black/silver painted bezels
194574-nicedash.jpg

Attachments

• 194574-nicedash.jpg
    194574-nicedash.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 38

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, that's correct, Kenny....but a little alcohol & the paint disappears...then a little buffing & they shine!

OP
R

rampant

Kenny, i know this is off topic,but i was looking at the picture of the inside of your car an it looks like your door panels are screwed on instead of clips?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I find it interesting that the instrument layout is so different between 76 and 77, except maybe where the tach and speedo are....

dash7na.jpg

I guess the paint has been long removed from my guage bezels? I like the full chrome bezel look. Also, I guess the paint on real chrome is better than chrome infused on plastic... especially when the top layer starts to wear away....

[ QUOTE ]
Kenny, i know this is off topic,but i was looking at the picture of the inside of your car an it looks like your door panels are screwed on instead of clips?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, DPO home covered door panels... screwed back on instead of spending the $5 for new clips /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I have the driver's side off, and the passenger side is succumbimg to a constant dripping from the top that needs replaced.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm not usre - but I think the '76 bezels were shiny...not painted.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tell me about those green lights on the dash, turn signels.

What holds them on, what is on the back? Would love to see a pic close up of the unit. Bugeye turn signal lights are impossable to get and maybe, just maybe these have the same backs.

Country flag
Rob, you have some serious crude on the inside of those gauges. Take'em off and clean them. Your car will seem to perform alot better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kenny, I screwed the panels onto my doors, and I think it looks better. But then again they are small doors, and I only have five screws.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Big, black, clips that are real hard to get off the light housing without either destroying them or the housing

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Rob, you have some serious crude on the inside of those gauges. Take'em off and clean them. Your car will seem to perform alot better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hah! easier said than done! last time I tried to remove something from the dash I broke it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm a skurd to go in there and attempt to remove something that seems to be functioning "perfectly normal"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Country flag
tsk, tsk, no sense of adventure. Da** the torpedeo's, spanners full speed ahead.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tony, supose they would hold a Bugeye turn signal light? I have one but no back. As you said, plastic as I remember and tend to come apart in your hand.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - they're round & look like star washers except the points are on the inside so they hold the light socket flush against the dash...I think they would work in your car, I see them in Triumphs, Jags & AH's

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thats the prob, Tony, I have the chrome ring and the green lense. The back was a plastic thread on thing like a cig, lighter back that held the front part tight and provided a place for the light bulb. Check your midget mark I or II.

Checked at lowes or home depot? The have lots of threaded plastic fittings in the hardware dept... Go with one of your lights in hand and try some out til you find one that fits.