• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Spare Tire TR3

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I know this has been addressed before, but wanted to share my experience with my early 56 TR3 and spare tire. After a bit of research aided greatly by input here, I sourced a Firestone 560 in size 145 R 15. Just had it mounted yesterday and pleased to report that it slides in easily in the "thin" spare tire compartment. Tire is not much wider than the stock rim. Thanks for everyone's input a few months ago. Cheers, Mike

Spare.jpg

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What size tire is on the other four, and what rims are you using?

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Other four tires are on 5.5 X 15 alloy rims I bought from UK (Rimmers Brothers) as I could not find 4 other usable steel rims (of about 12 or so I had access to). Tires are Kumho Powerstar 758 (165/80 x 15). Pics on the TR3 website below. Those tires and rims won't fit in compartment, so would have to ride on occasional seat if I had a puncture.

The Firestone tire was bought from https://onlyoldiesgarage.com/ (https://onlyoldiesgarage.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16760&cat=251&page=1) but was shipped from Coker because onlyoldies did not have stock when I placed the order. Coker listing is https://www.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=145R15

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers, Mike

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Did you investigate sourcing the tire from Firestone directly? I may pop in to the local Firestone shop myself.....

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had no luck trying to source any tires close to this size locally at all. That's why I resorted to an online vendor and had shipped to a US address while we were on holidays earlier in the year. Cheers, Mike

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
mgedit said:
Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers, Mike

Do you know when the change over from the "thin" spare tire compartment was made? And what size tire will fit the "non thin" compartment? Thanks in advance,

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The body was redesigned at TS60,000, and the spare tire well enlarged slightly. "Enlarged" means it will take a 165 easily; I'm not sure about the larger sizes, but I'm guessing that a 175 will still be somewhere between extremely snug and impossible unless you deflate the tire.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the 135 "compact spare" that I found in NOS condition at a local junkyard. The only drawback (if you call it that) is that I have to carry a rolled up blanket to keep it from sliding around in the spare tire well. But the blanket is really handy for either roadside tech sessions or picnics, and both the blanket and tire only set me back about $25.

Only had to use it once, but I drove over an hour at 75+ mph with no problems. I was expecting handling to be squirrelly, but I couldn't even tell the difference beyond a very slight list to the side with the compact spare (IIRC, the other side was wearing a 195/60 at the time). Of course I didn't really push it to the limit on handling, either.

DSCF0133.jpg

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was not sure when compartment size changed. Good to have that answer. I was told that a 155 should fit in my car, but decided to go with the bit narrower 145 to be sure. I thought about the temp spare as well, but had little luck finding one. Cheers, Mike

FordFiesta

Vredestein 155 works easily, also had a recent other 155 - BFG? Goodyear? (don't remember for sure) that came from one of the vintage tire suppliers. It also fit, but not as well as the Vredestein, which slid right into the early/small spare wheel compartment. The non-Vrede one was also heavier by several pounds.

Also, for when a spare is a tight fit, the liberal use of talcum powder works wonders.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm using a 165 for a spare in my post 60k body, and although snug, it does slide in and out without too much of a hassle. Forget about anything fatter.