• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

something different

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Grinding metal in hard left turns. I've only heard it twice and both times it was while making U-Turns at faster than "normal" speeds (for U-Turns anyways). I guess "grinding" is too strong of a word for describing the sound I hear. It sounds more like someone sharpening an axe on a slow turning fine grade sharpening wheel. It's a sound I hear and cannot feel in the car. I guess the proper description would be a "light scraping sound that happens when I have the wheel turned all the way to the left and traveling at velocities greater than what's considered 'normal' for U-Turns".

I assume something on the right side of the vehicle is causing it, but I've been unable to detect any "slop" in the wheels and tires on that side of the car. You guys have any idea what would cause a sound like that?

lclark0624

Is this like the man who told his doctor that his arm hurt if he raised over his head and the doctor said, "Then don't raise it up there."?

Did you check the mheels to see if you were running on the outside rims? Maybe you need more air in your tires. Ha, ha.

Seriously, are you running on solid wheels or wires? I'd suspect something in the back wheel or hub system.

Let us know what you find.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I tinny grinding noise is usually the brakes contacting the backing plates or dust shields
rust ring can form on the edges of the rotors where the brake pads dont keep them clean, and with the small amount of flex in the front end, the rust can contact the dust shields in a hard corner. The rear drums can do the same if there is a little rust built up on the edge where it overlaps the backing plate.
Pull the wheels and inspect for any built up rust and/or shiney bare metal spots.
If it's in the front, you can usually "tweak" the dust shields away from the rotors, in the rear you need to chip the rust off of the brake drum.

Steve_S

Yoda
Front brake pads rubbing discs?
Rear brake drums rubbing backplates?
Driveshaft contacting something?
Exhaust hitting something?
Front brake dust shields loose or bent?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
check the hole for the front spring hanger - see if its wallowed out & allowing the spring to shift under turning load

RetroFit

Freshman Member
Check your front wheel bearings.

Attachments

• 138401-MORRISGARAGEStn.jpg
    138401-MORRISGARAGEStn.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 82
OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmm... that's a lot of different things listed here. Let's see if I can narrow it down a bit. The car is on Rostyle wheels, and the first time I heard the sound was on old tires. At the time, I guessed it might have been the rims hitting the ground. I've gotten new tires since then and air pressure is definitely still good.

I'm pretty sure it's not the front brakes, but I'll have to look again to be sure. I've yet to pull the rear brakes apart, so there's a possibility, but the outside of the drums look ok (I know the outside appearance is no indication as to what's going on inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I'll definitely have to check into those.

Drive shaft? hmmm... don't think it is, and wouldn't the sound seem to come from under the car? The scraping distinctly comes from the right, but I can't tell if it's front or rear. I didn't noticed any rubbing on the driveshaft the last time I was that far under the car, but it won't hurt to look at it again.

Exhaust? My exhaust is strictly on the left of the car. I know the axle can't be contacting it in a hard left because it goes over the axle... have plans to change that down the road though.

Front spring hanger, I was just under the rear end checking/re-torquing the bolts incase any loosened up after my poly bushing install. The front spring hangers looked ok. The shackles though, they seem kind of bent towards the outside of the car. Not a lot, but it seems ever so slightly bent. The leaf springs seemed to have a twist in them too, made it a heck of a task to get the shackles back on... Then again the twist might have been because I left the axle attached to the spring while I was changing the shackle bushes.

Front wheel bearings, hmmm... I've felt bearings go bad before and I've heard bad bearings too. I've also had the unpleasant experience of having a front bearing sieze up while driving. If MGs are anything like other cars when it comes to front bearings, I'll be suprised if it turns out to be them. I have an extra set of them already, and plan on using them when I change out the rotors for some new ones. I'll recheck the front end for slop about the stub axles, just in case though.

Thanks for the input on this guys. I just couldn't think of anything that would only scrape under hard cornering...

Steve_S

Yoda
If it's coming from underneath the car, the sound will appear to come from the side. That is unless it's actually something contacting the body in which case the sound will resonate through the chassis and will sound like it's coming from the floorboards or other interior part.

I mentioned the drive shaft because of an experience I had once. I was getting a horrible metal grinding sound in hard corners. Turns out the driveshaft was contacting the new [longer] seat belt bolts I had just installed through the trans tunnel. Body sway can be a b*tch!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Shiny spot" onna inner right front fender well? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
SInce you recently replaced bushings, I would suspect the bearings are a little loose, allowing just enough tilt to the wheel to let the part of the rotor that doesn't get cleaned off by the brake pad to scrape the dust cover. If you have a set of bearings ready to put in when you replace the rotors (why...are they rusty?) you will have a set of shims to try to tighten up any play in the wheel...or just go ahead and put in the new bearings and clean the non-contact section of your rotor and the dust cover...I bet that cures the noise.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif