• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Screw or bolt head used for back seat?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello all. 64 BJ8. The seat back is held in place by 3 bolts/screws down and 2 through each wheel well. What size and head (philips or bolt) is used for the 3 that hold the bottom? The 2 that go through the wheel well, are they philips head or bolt head? (currently they are bolt head). Is there suppose to be a washer and lock washer used with all of these?

As always, thank you. Roger

Country flag
I'm not sure what you are discribing. Check the picture in the moss catalog and let me know where you are looking and I'll check in my BJ8.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just removed my backseats from my 64 BJ8 and each seat was hald by 4 10-32 nuts on studs mounted to the seats. I used a 3/8" socket to remove the nuts. Have a good day!

John

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Ausmhly,
I think these are the screws you’re referring to. This was all that was left of mine. I don’t have the dimensions for them, but they seem to be the same as the bump stop screws. Maybe an inch and a half long.
152176-driverrearseatback.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What is being discussed I beleive is the seat squab attachment at the bottom rail and the sides of the wheel arch. I can't remember what was original, but I used SS Polished carriage screws at all these locations with the heads inside and washers/nuts on the out side.---Fwiw--Keoke

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Right you are Keoke. I am attaching one photo of the entire piece in question. The next post here will show a close up of the screws or bolts in question, and where they are in the seat squab? Sorry for the confusion. But I do appriciate everyone taking a stab at an answer. See next post for close up. Thanks, Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep AUSMHLY, thats them all. I changed them all as I said to polished SS carriage screws with the heads against the wood so as not to chew it up.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On my ph 1, BJ8, the 3 bolts appear to be phillips (alts); that is with a cresent mark between the ends of the +. I can't easily remove them so I am unable to tell the length.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Shorn, better get a torque screwdriver and remove them. Use a bit of PB Blaster applied from the outside, then coat the threads liberally with Copa Slip and replace. They are probably rusted.---Fwiw---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi John, if you intend on retaining those 10 X 32 studs on the seat bottoms,you might consider replacing the nuts with brass ones or brass wing nuts.-I know the concourse people just love me.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Ausmhly,
Regular bolts may rub the upholstery or even stop the rear seat from going to a full upright position. I believe my screws were countersunk flush. Check your clearances before committing. Here is what was left of the wood on mine. Not much to go on is it?
152248-wood.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep Greg, Thats why I opted to use the Carriage screws. If you let the screwdriver slip you can bugger up the covering.Plus the heads of the screws tend to split the wood and chew at the covering when overtightened.---Keoke

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
What is being discussed I beleive is the seat squab attachment at the bottom rail and the sides of the wheel arch. I can't remember what was original, but I used SS Polished carriage screws at all these locations with the heads inside and washers/nuts on the out side.---Fwiw--Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Keoke, I can always count on seeing a reply from you, thanks. It seems there are some sort of metal screw housing, (don't know what there called)inserted in the wood. So I simply screw or bolt the correct size into it. The inside edge of the piece has been covered, hiding the insert. (see attached photo).

Now that brings up another question of what is correct. Are there suppose to be metal screw inserts in the wood, or is the wood drilled straight through, so a screw or in your case, carriage bolt is used.

If mine is correct, threading a screw or bolt into it, I'm back to my original question of philips head or nut head showing in the wheel well.

Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Roger,
The metal screw housing is called a “Tee nut”. From the wheel well, the bolt gets screwed into the tee nut. I used a bonded rubber washer with the bolt to help keep water from getting in. For the three screws at the bottom (Keoke’s carriage bolts), drill all the way through wood and seat surround. Nuts go on from the axle side.
152354-seatback.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi AUSMHLY, Where Greg's photo shows a hex bolt going into the blind nuts on either side of the squab.The BJ8 uses a flat headed phillips machine screw[ 1/4 X 28 ] that is also fitted with a bevelled washer that seats in a recess inside the wheel arch.---Fwiw---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Anthony,
Sure, I can sell you the wood. But the genuine British car smelling vinyl will cost EXTRA.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

No you don't ASUMHLY because I screwed up.The bottom screws in my near original BJ8 are Flat headed screws with a 5/32 Bristol socket in the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif--The thread size, descriptions and locations provided earlier are correct---Keoke