• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SAAB story

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
After many months of thinking about (and discarding the thought) a late model GT vert, we've sort of settled on a 07 SAAB Aero. We like the rollover protection/side airbags/etc. safety stuff. They have the turbo v-6 w/6speed trany. This would replace our 02 Civic for trips we don't want to take in the SP250. Anyone have any experience with these late model GM/SAAB cars??

philman

Jedi Knight
I have a '99 9-5 and previously had a '95 9000cd and an 89 900. I think the four cylinder engines might be more durable (they are based on a triumph design). The 9000 had a v6 based on the saturn/gm v6 and was troublesome. eventually the timing belt broke at the most inconvenient time and toasted the engine. I like the gm/saab cars as does my wife. comfortable, quick and good gas mileage. parts aren't as hard to get as you might be let to believe by some mechanics, and they aren't all that hard to work on. try this link for more information...

https://www.thesaabsite.com/faqs.htm

I think saab's have more character than japanese or german cars.

wingsandwheels

Congrats on the new car. You will be happy.

We have three SAABs under GM in the family; a '06 9-3 Convertible, '09 9-3 XWD sedan and an '06 9-7x....well 2 and 1/2 SAAB's, the 9-7x is really just a gussied up Blazer with the key in the console..nice vehicle in its own right though.

The '06 CV is great, we've had some minor electrical issues including a recent failure of the DBW gas pedal that caused the car to go into limp home mode. Other electrical issues include an intermittent "dip beam failure" message but the bulb is fine. The rather complicated electro-hydraulic top mechanism, my biggest potential worry, has held up well after an initial adjustment to the clamps for a slight rattle. Our dealer's service is great, and all the issues we've had so far were covered w/ no fuss.

Overall it is a well built car and is relatively solid for a convertible. We bought it for the same reason you did; safety. It replaced my bachelor BMW coupe so we could take our new daughter for family convertible rides.

BTW meeting a fat, suicidal raccoon at 75 or so will do approximately $4k of damage to one..ask me how I know. Takes out the radiator, intercooler and power steering line..plus the x brace acts like a raccoon ginsu...not pretty.

enjoy the Summer! w

wingsandwheels

Also, Saab Central is a good owners' board. If I remember correctly, some of the 6 cyls may have had an issue with bad coolant overflow bottles that were failing pretty quickly. Don't know if the '07's were affected...check yours.

SP250 is one of my favorites, came oh so close to buying one that was for sale up in NH a few years ago. Someday...

T

TRDejaVu

I have a 2004 9-5 Aero - very comfortable, awesome mid range acceleration (where you need it in the real world - angelfj can attest to that) and decent fuel economy.

I second Saab Central.

OP
DART

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks all for the input.
Well, as always happens, plans change slightly. We ended up picking up our 08 2.0T vert yesterday. Too many SAAB owners told me why the 4 is better long term than the 6. Along with reg vs prem fuel and better mileage.
Found one at a VA dealer in Platinum Silver Metallic with light beige interior. Florida off lease car with 22,000 on the clock. Our hope is that we will be able to take extensive trips in comfort with space for necessary luggage. Time will tell.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
pics?