• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Saab Sonnet

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Shiny orange and running under its own power on US 301.

1971 time machine.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Neat cars - remember them well. Three cylinder at first, weren't they? And I don't remember seeing any other than orange ones!

K

KSIS

Got one sitting in the back of the shop. The first series had more appeal.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I agree. the later ones looked like a mini Bricklin. All squared off and goofy. the early ones had those nice flowing lines of the 60s GT cars. The one I had the chance to work on was an early style one (69 I think) and it had the V4.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I test drove a one-year old lime green Sonnet in '69. It was the new style V4 (Ford) engine. A friend of mine had one that he autocrossed and he was always a lot faster than my old Corvair. I passed on it and bought a 2 year old Sprite (which contributed some parts to my present racer).
I agree with the Ben... the Mk1s with the "<span style="font-style: italic">ring-ding-ding</span>" triple 2 stroke are cooler.

By the way, that Ford V4 eventually morphed into the Ford pushrod V6 that was used in the German Capri and even the Aerostar mini-van and Explorer.

I have a pal who vintage races a Sonnet "roadster" that he made out of a wreck. Still has the 4-speed column shift. It's quick! (below)

134279814_Es3UB-S.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ISTR that Ford mill was originally a tractor unit? I know it went into the Ford Taunus. I had the "pleasure" of going thru one a number of years back, 96V4. The owner lived in Georgia and had a Cessna he flew down here a lot, bought the Saab (cheap) to have at the hangar here as his transport. Clever lad, too.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The Sonnet was funky as was the 96 which afaik had the same underbody and drivetrain. I drove this 72 as my main car for 15 years. It was a great car for me, better on the road than in town. With a 4 speed on the column and freewheeling (which could be locked but I rarely did)it was a blast to drive in hills or mountains. Pinto parts often worked on the 4 cyl Ford making it easier to deal with the parts counter than explaining what a Saab was. The back seat folded down into the trunk making a 7' bed, even though I had a tent I never used it. This was taken on a 4 month drive thru most of the states west of Iowa. That was a time when I didn't have a wife wondering when I would be home.

72Saab96.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That V4 was used in the Corsair - they had 1700 & 2000cc versions.

Richard,

Where was that picture taken?

- Doug

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Doug, you probably recognize it can’t be far from you but not sure exactly where. Very nice country you live in, both the forests and the coast. I intend to take 1 up the coast again. Wife might be up for VW Camper rental in San Francisco, head north and back for a week or two. Better would be to take the TR…

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Richard,

Stop by,if you're in the neighborhood.

- Doug

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Doug, thanks for the invite, same would go if you find yourself around here.
Ya never know........Rich

That Saab is the only one I'm sorry I let go. Unusual for them after all that time there was no rust showing. And the guy I sold it to rolled it the first week.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'd love to see more old Saab's up here but Canadian sales didn't start until 1976, so all we got from that time period was the Saab 99... I wish we had more of the early, quirky ones... *sigh*

I remember being in Saab heaven during my only visit to the Carlisle Import Nationals back in 2003, when there were so many early examples I had never seen before...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Richard,

My Dad grew up in Cedar Rapids - I think that's where I got my non-
accent from.
I'd love to have an 850 Monte Carlo.

- Doug