• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Saab 96

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'm going crazy on this one... I've spotted a rather nice looking Saab 96 three times now but always at speed in passing...

First, while driving home I saw it at a distance, turning left at a traffic light (I had to turn right)

Second, while driving, waiting in a left turn lane at a traffic light near my house, saw the car zip by my on the right, a rather brief sighting

Third, just today, leaving a coffee shop on foot with some friends (who are also car enthusiasts), they noted it first, I looked to my right and I just saw the back end of the same car zipping by out of sight...

One of these days I'll catch up to it properly... :hammer: These early Saab's are quite rare here in Canada, as they were never sold here new

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Take Four... Enjoying some lunch in a local shopping district on Sunday, sitting right next to the front window... That same Saab 96 zips by me yet again, come and gone in a mere moment... After I was finished lunch I headed the way that the Saab had driven but nothing... One day I will see this car stationary, it's driving me crazy! :crazy:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
While James is still hunting (good luck!), I'll show you some SAABs I saw at the Lime Rock Vintage in September. The green 93b racer was charming. Very slow, it seemed to be converting most of its gasoline into noise rather than forward motion. ;)

lime-rock-vint-2012-mccabe-17.jpg

lime-rock-vint-2012-mccabe-31.jpg

lime-rock-vint-2012-mccabe-32.jpg

lime-rock-vint-2012-mccabe-33.jpg

lime-rock-vint-2012-mccabe-62.jpg

lime-rock-vint-2012-mccabe-514.jpg

And the owner of this yellow 96 lives near me. He runs his car at several events per year:
njmp-2010-padock95.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Well... You guys in the States are lucky, the first Saab's sold here as in Canada as new cars were the Saab 99 back in 1976, so it's very rare to see a Saab 96 or 95, or... I still remember my one visit to Carlisle Import Nationals - about ten years ago - and just seeing the display by the Saab guys, probably more Saab 96's there that weekend than in all of Canada! :rolleye:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Don't feel left out James, I have never seen a 96 in person. They are really neat looking cars.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Mine was much like Nial's first pict. 72 V4 Ford w/ 4 on column and freewheel. Drove it 15 years or so, lived in it one summer. Great car.

72Saab96.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think that I've seen those trees somewhere before -
but not that car.

- Doug

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Car's gone, CB antenna dates it. But I will be back to see the trees in something better.