• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Saab Question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
A while back I posted a question about a used daily driver in $5000 dollar range. Thanks to those who replied - on the boards and with PM's. I am narrowing it down (fortunately I don't really have to hurry on this) and am coming to a couple of conclusions. Most of those conclusions have to do with buying Japanese or Buick. Japanese because they really are reliable and go forever, Buick because they are pretty reliable and a dime a dozen. Here's the problem - in my heart, I love quirky cars. (hence my love for LBC's and the fact that my first car was a Citroen DS19- wagon.) Last week I went to this outfit https://www.autonet.ca/beaconmotors/ They seem a reputable shop and they have a number of cars in my price range. (Acually he wants desperately to sell me the Talladaga) I drove one, it was fun and responsive and definately quirky. Here's the problem, none of the consumer review folk particularly like Saabs, they are rated average at best - on the other hand internet sites like SAABNET think they are the best thing since sliced bread. I know there has been an oil sludge problem with them but none of the models I am looking at seem to be affected. So, to recap my heart says Saab, My brain says Mazda, my wallet says Buick. Help! BTW - I'm really asking if anyone has had experience with Saab's -thanks

TIA

I like the 93 900 convertible.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Kenny makes a good suggestion. The early-90's Saabs were wonderful cars, full of character, and the 9000 sedans are among the most under-rated vehicles ever.

I love Saabs. Anyone conversant with LBCs and, moreover, Citroens, will love Saabs of that vintage too.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I fix cars for a living, and overall, I am not a big SAAB fan. Servicing them can be a real PITA, and major components are usually only available thru SAAB $$$$$ They can be really quirky to fix, and a lot of independant shops won't touch them. That being said, they are great to drive. They are sturdy, and a good one is a great car, if you are OK with weird. I like the 92 and earlier 900s, but avoid automatics. No body will fix them as they cannot be bench tested. Never ever let Iffy Lube touch one either. The oil drain and trans drain are really close together...... Just imagine.My 2 cents worth,
Jesse

Besides being a convertible... you'd have $1500 left over (over buying the talledega) to have it serviced as needed!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
here's the problem with the convertible - It has to have four doors - My wife drives a New beetle and My 5' 9" daughter and 6' 5" son have to go somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
(I know - I know, I've thought of that too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif How old are those full grown kids? Sounds like one could ride with mom, and the other with dad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm with Jesse on this. Saab may have appeal, but for value-per-dollar and convenience I'd ~never~ suggest one. Been under the hood of plenty of 'em too. IMO the last "good" one had a Ford V-4 TRACTOR engine! Get a Toyota, it'll last as long as you need it to. All you'll need to know about it is how to turn the key and when to change the oil... Spend your time and money on the Midget.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm actually thinking of a Mazda Millenia - good reputation huge depreciation. Or a Maxima - Toyota's & Honda's keep their value too much for a cheapskate like me

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Saabs are great-- especially the hatchback model-- very versatile. I had an '88 Saab turbo and loved it and finally got back to one a year ago. Bought my 02 last year. My son bought a '99 and has put about 80 K miles on it with few problems at all. Loves it. They have been getting more and more reliable each year, so I'd buy as new as you can. If you need a cheap car for basic transportation consider a Focus or Cobalt, or Aveo or Hundai, etc. (but they won't be as much fun)

mattmacklind3

Jedi Hopeful
I just spoke with a Saab fanatic the other day. According to him the pre-GM Saab's are the way to go. I've never had one but a friend did and he loved it. I've always seen Saabs as a kind of insider thing, as in there are Saab people and everyone else! Myself between the three options, I'd go for a Regal GS or a Park Ave. Ultra with the supercharged 3.8L. Not the best seats in the world but pretty good cars. I don't think they look half bad either. Then again, there's the Lincoln Mk VIII LSC!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Stay away from the Lincolns with the air suspension.
Quite a few of them around here have become "Low-Riders".

- Doug

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I drive a 1992 BMW 525i Touring (the wagon) on a daily basis. The thing is bulletproof, and I love it. Besides, they are cheap (4 or 5 large buys you a nice one) and you can haul all sorts of stuff in one. Plus, four doors. Set of snow tyres on steel rims (like I have) and you have a year-round driver.

FWIW.....a friend has a 1992 Saab 900 convertible, he bought it new......200,000 miles and counting, he still loves it. Regularly hauls four men to and from soccer games. Yes, they have issues, but if you find a good one, you would be fine. Avoid the automatics, agreed, they can be problematic, and with the non-turbo engine a slushbox would have trouble getting ou of its own way. Takes all the fun out of 'em.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Hey Doc, The last SAAB I "owned" at all was a '72 model 96.V4, 4 speed on the coloumn, great seats, and no parts availability.( Pre internet, and hemmings did not help any) I really want a two stroker though, just to weird out my neighbors.
Jesse

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Three words - "Monte Carlo 850"
WAY Cool!

- Doug