• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Replacement Fuel Pump

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello again...my mechanic told me that my carbs couldn't be adjusted too well because my fuel pump is too strong (it was replaced by the previous owner). I've looked at the ones at Moss going from $89 up, but I recently saw an identical looking one in the J. C. Whitney catalog for only $42.
I7816.gif

Fuel Pump Web Page

Has anyone had any experience with the non-Moss units. If so, should I get the 2.5 to 4.5 psi (up to 30 gph) or the 1.5 to 3.5 psi (25 gph) unit?

Thanks,
Obtong

mowog

Jedi Hopeful
I think the 1.5 to 3.5 Psi is the recommended one either way it may be good to have a pressure regulator I have heard that those pumps sre noisey
troll.gif

G

and I found it cheaper at Advance Auto Parts. Purolater is a facet under a different name. They had the regulator too

OP
Obtong

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hmm...why would I need a pressure regulator as well? Isn't it OK just to have the fuel pump within the correct pressure range?

Obtong

G

most of them are generic ranges and the pressure regulator is a good idea,especially with Su carbs. Mine cost less than $10

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm using the low-pressure Facet pump and Purolator regulator on my street/time trials racer (1500 SPridget). If I turn the regulator up too much, the car floods. I'm running American carburtation....it was even worse with high pressure and SUs. No problems with 1.5 lbs setting....will pull 6000 RPM in 4th gear.

It *is* a noisy devil....even with semi-open 2" side pipe, I can tell it's running.

Note: the Purolator regulator has had a recall (some are prone to fuel leaks due to material problems)! Check your regulator number and "Google" their site address, to see if your's is afffected.

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>

OP
Obtong

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I fitted a regulator (Schucks, 20 bucks) just before the fuel filter and set it to 2 psi. I'll have to see about getting the carbs adjusted now.

One thing I noticed right away was that my fuel filter now has only a small amount of gas in it, whereas before it was over half full. This is expected, right?

Obtong

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
That is why I prefer original equipment!! These carbs are set for about 1.5 to 3 lbs pressure!! If you have original, you will never have a problem!! A regulator works too, but you have to know where to set it!!

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
And you've got to love the click-click-click of the original S.U. fuel pumps . . . It's part of the charm of an MG!

G

You got to know just where to rap it and just how hard, too!

I ran into the same problem when I swapped back to SU from the PO's Weber. He had a 9# fuel pump feeding the Weber. Gas just poured out the SU's!

Tintinmilou

The SU pumps are the best. Don't forget that MG has spent many years evolving the car, and the components evolved with the car.
I just replaced the pump on Milou with an electronic SU, and it's GREAT! I had tried to rebuild the old one several times, but I think the diaphragm had stiffened up. I just couldn't get it to tick over reliably.
SUs have the added advantage that when you're about to run out of fuel, your tick*tick*tick turns into a *Brrrrrrrrrrrrr*.
Those darned after-market pumps just never shut up, even when they're up to pressure.
thirsty.gif

wolfman

I currently run a weber on my 1500 midget with the stock mechanical fuel pump. I am having fuel starvation problems. Coated tank, inside screen removed, new line, suction filter, discharge filter. Anyway, thinking of going with the Facet type 1.5 - 3 and regulator. Others I've talked too say the loud noise can be quieted if you mount it in a rubber pad. Don't know myself yet,but hope to soon.