• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Replacement Fuel Tank

Zimmycobra

Country flag
I have been restoring a 1965/66 TR4A. It is mechanically complete, but still needs cosmetics. It is on the road and driving. Great fun!

Recent events have convinced me that I need to replace the fuel tank. (I tried to use the old one cleaned out.) I was hoping to get some feedback on the replacement tank available from Victoria British. It is significantly less expensive the one from Moss Motors.

I have not bought parts from VB before. The tank is a universal replacement for 1961 TR4 up to 1970s TR6s. I am not looking for only identical replacement, I just need good fit and function to the existing setup. It appears to have additional ports that can be blanked by supplied plugs where necessary. The necessary connections do appear to be in the correct locations.

Any feedback on the quality, fit, and function would be greatly appreciated. Any concerns with VB as a supplier?

Thanks for any help.

Corey Z.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
First remember you get what you pay for.
Second go to E Bay and see if a guy named George makes a replacement tank for your car you can not go wrong there.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Basil frowns on "vendor bashing", so I'll only say that VB is my absolute last choice when buying parts. And I think the guy on eBay is Jorge (aka angelheartpancho) but he doesn't seem to have any TR4-6 tanks listed at the moment.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The guys on the other site, really just Bobby, had these people make tanks for the 6.
As the 4 is close I think you can use it
https://www.boydwelding.com/

Preetty sure he's made in 40-50 of them
I'm sure a couple here have them

nicodiaz

Freshman Member
I bought a steel fuel tank from VB tank for my '66 Tr4a irs about 4 years ago and had to enlarge the opening in the car body for adequate passage of the gas discharge connection..it was offset. Also the mounting brackets were not shaped ( bent ) perfectly to fit the body so had to rebend causing the weld to partially break away...left them as they were. Minor imperfections, but annoying. Tank bottom still looks original inspecting through the gas refill opening.
Robert
Oceanside, Ca

RossL

Country flag
I have the VB tank in my TR6. Installed it in 2012. Works very well and the price was a lot less than other vendors. I "think" (don't really know) the TR4 might use the same tank

OP
Zimmycobra

Zimmycobra

Country flag
RossL:

Thanks for the feedback. Did you have any fitment problems such as was described by nicodiaz? It is such a big savings that I really don't kind a bit of adjustment, but I wondered if maybe they improved on the fitment from 2010 to 2012. Thanks for the input.

Corey

RossL

Country flag
RossL:

Thanks for the feedback. Did you have any fitment problems such as was described by nicodiaz? It is such a big savings that I really don't kind a bit of adjustment, but I wondered if maybe they improved on the fitment from 2010 to 2012. Thanks for the input.

Corey

I had to trim (about 1/8") off of the "side" mounting ears (on the car). From what I remember the tank would not fit between them. I painted the tank with some Hammertone paint. I was not sure if it was "finished" or just primed

The tank come with some extra openings for different applications (fuel injection?). I had to purchase some extra plugs from NAPA

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Corey,

My two cents (sense?). I bought a VB tank for my TR-6 over a year ago. The tabs on the tank were bent on arrival thanks to UPS and that tank leaked on a seam after I installed it. VB replaced it no questions asked. If I had to do it over again I'd fill it with water first and let it sit a few days. The second tank went in without incident although I did find the alternate plug on the bottom weeping some gas. Make sure these are really tight before putting it in. The other problem I had, and this is really why I am writing, is that almost immediately after installing the tank I went on a 300 mile drive. Two thirds of the way the car started losing power - which got progressively worse. I barely made it home and I later uncovered that the fuel filter had clogged. I concluded that it was dust and cardboard fibers from the shipping box the tank had been shipped in. Morale to the story: wash it out before installing.

But yes, I'd buy another from VB.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I can vouch for Tank Reu. I got one from my local LBC distributor Team Triumph a couple of years ago and he stocks a few. Just took in my old tank and exchanged it for a relined one and some cash. Great to have that resource in my back yard! You may have to send yours in if there is no local distributor near you. It's been 3 years + now and no problems and know of many others that have used them..

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I bought a VB fuel tank for my TR4A. Three months after I bought it, the price was drastically reduced. I called VB and they gave me a fair credit, no questions asked. I had no problems installing the tank and it has worked fine ever since.

Also, just fyi, I had some issues with some other VB parts, and they were terrific. Free shipping. Replacement. Whatever I wanted. In one case they even just told me to keep what I had and sent another.

They seem to be very customer oriented.