• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Rebuilding a GT6 Mk3

Rippthrough

Right, I'm about to start the rebuild of my dads GT6 MK3, which has been stood about 20 years. However, the budget is limited - so what essential upgrades should I go for to improve reliablility/performance/handling?
Already on the list is:
Cold ram air kit - cheap and easy to make at home, no cost.
Full sports exhaust - the old system is knackered, so I may as well go for a decent system.
Spin on oil filter conversion use a new filter then.
Electric cooling fan - better cooling, a few more bhp.
Unleaded head - either stainless or titanium valves
Lightened flywheel Better acceleration, less stress on crank.
Adjustable dampers - already on donor car...
electronic ignition - more reliable than a dizzy.
Also thinkning about a full ECU, throttle bodies, injection etc, for more power, torque and better economy, but I think it will be too expensive, however, anyone know how much this would roughly be? (Probably ££££££'s)

Thanks everyone.

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF! Nice to see another GT6Mk3 being saved. I would suggest you add braided stainless steel brake hoses to your list. Not too expensive, look great, improve braking "feel" and will last longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

By The Way, great deal on that GT6Mk3 you picked up on eBay!

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
The other question you have to look at is how is the body and interior. I would guess all the rubber needs to be replaced after 20 years. Windshield seals to new brakes. I would first try and make sure the basics are working before starting some of the other modifications.

As for costs, you will find that it all adds up to more then the car will ever be worth if you wanted to sell it but if you do it over time you will be better able to afford it.

OP
R

Rippthrough

I have brand new leather interior up in the attic, bought by my dad as spares from the factory when he got the car, all in good condition. Forgot about braided hoses, but yes, they're going on too, cheap upgrade which is well worth it.
Anyone got a ballpark figure for EFI?

The body is going to need a total stripdown, repair, respray and rebuild - its going to take a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the flywheel or fuel injection as you can do that at a later date if you have money left over.
The body restoration is always going to cost more than you expect, but should not be skimped.
A GT6 goes pretty well anyway, and feels faster than it really is because of the low seating position.
Great little car, you'll love it. Good luck with your project!
Simon.

OP
R

Rippthrough

The engine is going to be completely stripped and rebuilt, so i though I may as well do the flywheel at the same time. Fuel injection would be nice, and easier to set up/rebuild. Ah well, it should go a little better than my 306.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello RT,
you asked for ball park figures for a fuel injection set up, these are from Demon Tweeks 2004 catalogue (www.demon-tweeks.co.uk), throttle bodies from 128.00 each (Twin choke) although I suggest that the PI manifold could be adapted instead. fuel filter 16.50, fuel rail, 6 fittings 48.00, Fuel injectors 64.00 fuel pressure regulator 38.60 which is about £1,100 plus vat. Engine managment kit will add another £600 + vat. So it looks to be about £2,000 ish.

Alec
PS, don't attempt a ram air system, cold air yes, ram no. It will upset the carburation\injection.

OP
R

Rippthrough

Thanks for that, thats going to be too much to add to the budget, the ram air would have been fine with injection, but it's not going on with carbs.
Thanks all, you've been v. helpful.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello RT,
"Fuel injection would be nice, and easier to set up/rebuild."
The Lucas P.I. system is capable of your above requirements, perhaps not easier than carburettors, but not that more difficult. Just a thought, and they have been used on the 2 litre engine. Has yours got the later high port head?

regards,
Alec

V

vagt6

Rip, congrats on your GT6, you're going to love it. However, a word of advice: Get the car running well, in stock form (or with what's on it now). Fix the suspension, replace all the bushes, shocks, tie rod ends, leaf spring and the rotoflex couplings (if it has them). Make sure the car is SAFE to drive. Then drive it.

Then, start on the bodywork. After that's done, then do the additional, non-stock refinements to the engine. But, don't try to do it all at once. Take your time, enjoy the process, learn as you go.

That way, you'll understand the car better AND have more fun. You may save some money, too!

Good luck, welcome to the world of Triumphs!

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Rip, been there and done that except for the PI. All things being equel, you will find the GT6 has alot of power and the light fly wheel will add move than most people think as to how fast it will get up and go. After setting that long one of the main things needing done will be to seal the gas (petrol) tank and either replace the line from the tank or make sure it is clear, most get gumed up and almost impossible to clear. Does yours have the roll back top, I saw a few in England on the earlier models, great feature, had to put in an after market sun roof in the wife's. Sure had alot of fun Autocrossing. Good luck, Wayne

OP
R

Rippthrough

^^Thanks for that, that's exactly what I'm after, time/effort saving advice. The donor car (I'm using its body) has a full length sunroof, how hard is this going to be to seal, or would I be better of using my existing (solid) roof?

TR3cubka

from resto experience on other vehicles, you dont ever want to take on the whole car, at once, yourself. What happens is you will disassemble the whole machine, and be staring at this heap of junk trying to figure out where to start.

Im just one more person suggesting you start with the basic things like getting it running, then stopping, and finally steering properly. Once thats done, you can paint etc. most importantly, stick to a PLAN. write it out, and dont deviate from it unless you absolutely have to. At least this way you know where you are and where you are going. Makes it MUCH easier.

have fun with your resto! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
On the roll back sunroof, you may find the seals and rag top to be cost prohibitive but rare and a show stopper, check your budgit. A plan is a must if only to give you a direction each day, after completing that project go to the next, of course sometimes you have to change because you have to fix what it's attached too first. Have fun. Wayne

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
How about fuel injected and supercharged? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Steve's Supercharged GT-6

It's not mine, but it sure is a nice job!

V

vagt6

If at all possible, keep the folding roof, they're rare over here in the 'States. If installed properly and maintained, the Webasto folding roof is waterproof.

A supplier in London sells the original Webasto roof for a GT6 called "R & S Coachbuilts". I lost the link to their webpage, sorry!

Keep the folding roof, one of the best mods you can do to a GT6!

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Does anyone have some pictures of a GT6 with the folding roof, I would like to see one. Thanks.

Also having a plan is helpful. I wanted to drive main as I went because my wife needed to see it run before she would let me be. So the plan was to get it street ready and now I just keep working on it bit by bit. In about 2-3 years I will be ready to put it in the garage and really do some body work that will take a while, but until then I can drive it and have fun.

The car well tuned is very quick and has alot of getup and go. Last night I pushed it past its limits going around a turn and almost took out a mail box. I can tell you that the back end takes some getting use to after driving front wheel drive cars for years. Have fun.

V

vagt6

Tom, here's a link to a lady in England with a concours GT6 that has a folding roof. She has the mohair one, available from R&S Coachbuilts!

Here it is: https://www.daveelliott.co.uk/gt6

For a better view, look up the R&S Coachbuilts site. The best thing about the Webasto, which was a dealer-installed option on GT6s, is it is HUGE. It opens up just about the entire roof. Installed properly, folks indicate that it does not leak. Lots of Brit cars in other countries have it. A lot of Triumphs imported to countries in hotter climates such as S. Africa and Australia seem to have more also.

Again, there's hardly a better mod for a GT6, almost makes it a convertible.