• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 rebuilding tr6 rear hubs

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
Assuming I don't want to go with RG's replacement hubs, Is there a default choice these days for getting the rear hubs rebuilt?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The Roadster Factory rebuilds them, but for the difference in price (my opinion) your better off with the up-rated hubs from Richard Good.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Stock hub vs RG hub..........do you really want to stay stock?

OldHubSm.jpg
NewHubNoFlangeSm.jpg

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Having had a couple from TRF that I found disappointing, and not being sure they still do since Tom Spadafora left, there's only one person I'd trust to rebuild your hubs.
Phil Jaegeling AKA Philstr6.
I'll have him contact you.

aggie_longhorn

Freshman Member
Bob,

If the choice is between TRF rebuild and GP, I would go with the goodparts hub.

If there is a third option that is materially cheaper, I would probably go that route.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Cheaper and TR rear Hubs don't belong in the same sentance. A broken hub can put you on your lid. Not my idea of a good time. Buy the Goodparts hubs and never look back.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
I have a small collection of photos showing broken hub results... and it's amazing no one was injured or killed. I agree that "cheaper" is not a good word to use relative to hubs. If you elect to have them rebuilt I'd suggest having them magna-fluxed too to check for hidden unseen cracks. I look at it this way...... a cheap engine rebuild can leave you stranded on the side of the road with a blown engine. A cheap hub rebuild can leave you parked in the tree trunk growing by the side of the road.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I seem to recall that the difference was not that much more when I compared the rebuild price of $299 to the new up-rated Good Parts Hub $349.... $50 bucks total and really, there is no comparison. I don't know what the rebuild or a new hub cost today, but I'm betting it is still close enough to go with better hubs.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The Goodparts hubs are still $349. The problem I would have is that I'd then want the CV joint axles, and them might as well get the limited slip diff....

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I replace my original hubs with GP CV axles, and once I read about the failures that could happen on the original hubs I was glad I did. while the hubs were out I also redrilled the trailing arm hub mounts and put keenserts in and course threaded studs. No issues, no axles binding on acceleration, then after rebuilding the rear end and still having the old clunking noise I purchased the R200 diff and installed it and also welded the diff mounts up at the same time, I was lucky the diff mounts were not broken. Now I am comtemplating getting the uprated front axles, the fronts seem to be small for the weight of the car, at least to me they seem small

Hondo

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I faced the same decision and came to the same conclusion as others, and that was to go with the GP units. This decision was especially clear after I kicked in the cost of shipping my old ones to the repairer. For me it was a no brainier.

That said, I am aware the cost issue remains for many owners. From my point of view this component is not a 'bling' part. Spend the extra dollars and you will never have to worry about axles again. (other then the studs to the trailing arms.)

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have the GP axles, but did not go with a differential swap.