• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

rebound strap mounting bolt sheared off by me!

richardJr

Freshman Member
A simple fix turned into the job from ...you know the place. Anybody have any advice on droping the whole rearend so I can cut off and weld a new mounting bracket for the rebound strap. I am dealing with 35 year old bolts...as with the front end everything was well froze together. I have a pristine front suspension worthy of a clap but don't tell my wife...she is about as frozen to the prospect as the fulcrum pins and bush's were to the swivel axle. I am replacing every nut and bolt and going to clean it up once I can get the shackle pins out. Ugh...any pointers from the been there done that people? I do appreciate all the recent advice and sincerely wish upon you all a most wonderful day.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Welocme to the Forum!

I just did that job and the best advice I can give you is to have 4 jack stands...two to hold the car body under the forward mounting plates of the rear springs and two for the axle. A good floor jack will be useful to move everything as needed in the order decribed in a manual (I followed my Bentley and it was easy) Just a couple of additional hints.

-Start with lots of Kroil or liquid wrench to loosen all the nuts and bold, allowing time to soak!
-Don't expect the straps to support the axle...use stands
-Make sure the new straps have the reinforcement chords in them...there are some on the market which do not and will break too easily.
-The leaf springs must be under load to reach the shackle holes, but loose enough to be able to insert the shackle pins...again, a good floor jack makes it easier.
-Don't forget to disconnect and PLUG the brake line...you will need to bleed the brakes or when you put it back together and go for the brakes at the stop sign down the road, you will remember it then (DON'T ASK! LOL)
-You don't really NEED to remove the hand brake cable, unless you are removing the axle completely, but getting it out of the way makes the job easier.
-remember to mark the position of the driveshaft and flange when you remove it so you can get it back together the way it was...this will save you aggravation later
-get your wife a pair of gloves before you ask her to help drop the axle and slide it out...unless you have a lift or the gas tank removed, you will not have enough room for the axle and floorjack to be pulled back under the car

This is the highlight of what I remember from the job that weren't in the manual. Let me know if you have other questions or problems.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
That's a big bummer, but common mistake. Bruce got the highlights. If you still have enough stud left, maybe you can try putting a die on there and getting a few more threads.