• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re-chroming service

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Does anyone know of a good re-chroming business in or near NC? I have taken the bumpers, overriders and grille assembly off my '66 BJ8. She is going to the body shop in two weeks for a good paint job and I would like the chrome to shine as well as the new paint when she gets put back together.
Thanks,
Charlie

robert_ellison

Jedi Trainee
from my experience searching for chrome shops it is cheaper to buy new bumpers etc from moss motors than to get the old ones rechromed

robert

[ QUOTE ]
from my experience searching for chrome shops it is cheaper to buy new bumpers etc from moss motors than to get the old ones rechromed --------- i agree, a good chrome shop will charge about three times what new bumper will cost, available from moss, sports and classics, and others. new about $120.00 to $150.00/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Country flag
New chrome parts have less chrome finish. They seem to pit and scratch easier. I went for a good plater and he did a remarkable job. Especially when side by side with a replacement bumper. And they are a bit thinner

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
I'll bet that Allen Hendrix, 200 miles away in Greensboro (https://www.hendrixwirewheel.com/) knows'em all.

Call him and tell him you're "Healey". He'll point you in the right direction.

Tim

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Good suggestion Tim! The PO told me he had Hendrix re-true the wire wheels in early 2006 so I have a connection to him.
Charlie

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Charlie,
I just learned about the existance of this place last week from a conversation I had in a Food Lion parking lot last Sunday. It is amazing how many people will start a conversation with you when you drive up in an Austin Healey !
https://www.flyingcircuscars.com/index.html
They are in Durham and their web site says they do restorations. Perhaps they know some other places to get your parts replated ?
I don't know these guys at all but perhaps you could give them a call in addition to calling Hendrix.
Ed

[ QUOTE ]
New chrome parts have less chrome finish. They seem to pit and scratch easier. I went for a good plater and he did a remarkable job. Especially when side by side with a replacement bumper. And they are a bit thinner

[/ QUOTE ] th, no argument about originals being slightly thicker and the fact that a "good" hard to find plater would be the ideal situiation, but when expedients and economics are concerned its nice to know there is an option, a friend with super clean chevelle had his bumbers rechromed at "the best plater" on the east coast someplace in n.j. spent a couple thousand bucks, they looked great at first no more then three weeks went by that the "show quality" chrome job started jumping of the bumpers and rusting, ive heard this story from biker friends that love all the chrome goodys having the same problem with other outfits, technique?, e.p.a.restricting prosses? all the old pros gone? maybe something in the water? perhaps if i could find a place that was "resonably priced" and did "quality "work id have my bumpers rechromed my rear one could use it, i had a repro in my hands last friday at sports and classics in ct. for the money there not bad other considerations include how long youll keep the car, will you be going for "concourse"? etc, its still comforting to know there is a viable alternative. anyone know of a good shop on the east cost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Country flag
The guy I used did my bumper (1) and a bunch of assorted other things for $250.00. They were stripped and copper plated first. One week and he appoligised for the delay but his copper plater was down one day. Perfect job. Nice old guy, loves to talk cars. He does all the work himself. He showed me his 71 Corvette he rebuilt and chromed every thing under the hood he could. He is out side Carson City NV. "Joe the Chromer". Out by the "Bunny Ranches" for those who know Carson City.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gifHey 7777:

While not cheap!! they are excellent. "Graves Plating" Located in Alabama. You can also check out "New Chrome" a little closer to home in Fall River Ma.---Keoke

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Some of you may know (or of) my friend in NJ Frank aka spritenut.

He has used Paul's Chrome in PA and recommends them. He has had Big & Little Healey things (including bumpers) and they have met his STANDARDS!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

Ooops. Forgot to mention that I have had a set of repos on my Hortense and pushed it 3 years before they were crud. Would NOT do it again (and I SELL them!!)!!

keoke, thanks ill look into it,maybe send em the "over-rides" as a test sample before i send em the rear bumper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Has anyone heard about either of these two rechroming shops?
Chrome Rite in Fayeteville, NC or
Royal Silver in Norfolk, Va.

Thanks,
Charlie