• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re-Chroming BJ8 Windshield Surround

Chris_Masucci

Hi Folks,

So what is the consensus on plating the windshield surround? Is it absolutely necessary to drill out all the rivets and plate separately, then hope to get new rivets in without damaging the fresh plating? If so, I have found through searching that BCS has the rivets, but I would have no idea where to find a tool to do it, besides a hammer.

I would much prefer to just take it as best it can be done without popping all the rivets out, and some older posts linked to some pictures of the side pieces done that way...however those old links are broken. Can someone point me to some pictures of an after shot of plating done with all the rivets left in place?

Thanks a bunch!

saltiga

hello chris, I dont know if this is the answer you are looking for but will pass on what i know. I completely stripped my wind shield down as the chrome work was rather tatty for being left out in the open for many years, all the steel parts were badely rusted, i made all new replica parts out of 316 stainless steel, machined all the rivets out of stainless rod, domeing them in the process, i rivetted them all back with just a ball pane hammer, being very careful and it turned out as good as the originals. the corner angle pieces were also made of srainless with stainless allen key hs/head screws. I approached a Healey restoration expert for advice to have the other pieces rechromed, his advice was, be very selective of who to use as they can buff the piece to oblivion, he next said that others he knows of after rechroming cannot get the rubber seal back in as the rechromeing fills the grove up too much. Hope this helps saltiga

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hi Folks,

So what is the consensus on plating the windshield surround? Is it absolutely necessary to drill out all the rivets and plate separately, then hope to get new rivets in without damaging the fresh plating? If so, I have found through searching that BCS has the rivets, but I would have no idea where to find a tool to do it, besides a hammer.

I would much prefer to just take it as best it can be done without popping all the rivets out, and some older posts linked to some pictures of the side pieces done that way...however those old links are broken. Can someone point me to some pictures of an after shot of plating done with all the rivets left in place?

Thanks a bunch!
I just picked my windshield from the glass shop after having new glass put it. I had it chromed back around 1980ish. Do you still need photos?

OP
C

Chris_Masucci

Thanks for the response folks. I guess I'm going to wing it and try leaving the rivets in. My plater seems to think it will turn out ok, but they do have some concerns with ensuring all of the previous bath is rinsed from between the parts. They assume it will just take longer to rinse between stages. I'll take some pictures after and you can let me know if it passes for you or not.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the response folks. I guess I'm going to wing it and try leaving the rivets in. My plater seems to think it will turn out ok, but they do have some concerns with ensuring all of the previous bath is rinsed from between the parts. They assume it will just take longer to rinse between stages. I'll take some pictures after and you can let me know if it passes for you or not.
Here's some pics of mine that was done in the early '80's and it's still holding up.

Attachments

• DSC02152.JPG
    DSC02152.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02154.JPG
    DSC02154.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC02155.JPG
    DSC02155.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC02156.JPG
    DSC02156.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC02157.JPG
    DSC02157.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC02159.JPG
    DSC02159.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 82
OP
C

Chris_Masucci

So, I finally got my estimate back from the local platers. For the windshield surround, grill pieces, cockpit surround, door window hardware, door handles, door trim headlight trim they want $4K. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me, but was wondering what you folks think is a fair price. $825 for the cockpit surround alone seems out of control.

Any suggestions in the midwest for a reasonable plater?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
So, I finally got my estimate back from the local platers. For the windshield surround, grill pieces, cockpit surround, door window hardware, door handles, door trim headlight trim they want $4K. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me, but was wondering what you folks think is a fair price. $825 for the cockpit surround alone seems out of control.

Any suggestions in the midwest for a reasonable plater?
Ridiculous prices!! I just paid $350 for my cockpit suuroud, door trim chrome(2 small pcs and two long pcs for window trimming).

OP
C

Chris_Masucci

May I ask who you used? Seems like I need to be open minded about shipping my parts out instead of staying local, although I haven't exhausted my local options yet...still two or three more places to check.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
May I ask who you used? Seems like I need to be open minded about shipping my parts out instead of staying local, although I haven't exhausted my local options yet...still two or three more places to check.
I used J&B Polished & Chrome, Ft Worth, Tx.(NFI) 817-723-1077. Very fast turn-around time(approx. 1 week). I also had my grille surround and eyebrow done too. I had the grille teeth polished which was a mistake. Second time it was done, the first was about 1980, and the buffing went throught a couple of teeth(not too noticeable but the teeth can't be polished on the edges/sides). They can do the knock-offs, etc. The"cockpit surround" is going to be expensive too ship. Whoever you use...be sure to take photos and keep a set and also send a set to the Shop doing the work. J&B has bumpers, etc., shipped to them from all over the US.