• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rather Annoying.............

TR4

Jedi Knight
I had a noise at the front seal on my TR4 motor and I would spray WD40 at it and it would stay quiet for one or two outings. I thought is might be the timing chain cover seal so I changed it and the car was quiet for 3 outings before making that annoying noise again. WD40 sprayed at the crank where it comes out of the timing chain cover and the noise goes away. Anyone care to diagnose this one? I can live with using WD40 after each outing if I need to. I would not likely take the cover off again this summer anyway.

Advice is appreciated.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
How easily did the hub come off when you changed the seal ? If it came off easily, it might be moving on the crank enough to make noise.

Could it be a belt squeeking ? Broken timing chain tensioner ? Loose bolts in the hub ?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
TR4,

Potential good news, bad news scenario here.

I think that if you continue to use WD-40 on that sealing surface, that the oil will soon begin to come out and you won't have a noise any longer.

I wonder if the slinger is hitting the back of the seal and making the noise? Just a little WD creeping in might quiet it down. Is this a metal to metal squeal or a groaning noise?

If so.....years ago (late 60's) we use to have similar problems with noisy front pump seals on the heavy duty GM TH400 transmissions. It was something in the rubber that was the problem. It took about 1,0000 miles to stop in some cases, in others only a replacement seal would do it.

Sorry for the only results that I know of.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My brothers 2nd TR4 had an alternator installed by the DPO. I could see that the belts were not aligned properly. After about 100 miles or so, the belt would squeel terribly, starting out soft and slowly building. We'd pull off and touch a bar of soap to the blacker side of the running belt and it was good for another 100 miles or so so. We did this until he sold the car. The (original) bar of soap was still in the glove box when he sold it.

Are you sure it's the seal making noise and not a belt?

OP
TR4

TR4

Jedi Knight
The Hub was tight when removed. The noise does not seem to be a belt noise to me. The belt is new as is the timing chain and tensioner. The noise sounds somewhat squeeling metalic but not all that loud. I suppose the rubber in the seal may not be getting oil from inside the cover and is drying out. As soon as I hit it with a direct shot of WD40 the noise is gone.

T

Tinster

Have you tried a "real" lt wt lubricating oil?
WD40 has a short half life.

d

OP
TR4

TR4

Jedi Knight
I might be able to get some 3 in 1 oil in there. I might even be able to stick my little finger in there to smear some grease on the seal.

Thanks Dale, good idea for testing.

Phil

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
A simple test to see if it is belt noise would be to see whether spraying WD40 elsewhere on the belt (e.g. generator pulley) also silences it.

I had a recurring noisy belt which I fixed by letting a bit of sandpaper drag against the surfaces as the engine idled (had the paper affixed to a stick so I was sure my fingers wouldn't get sucked into the works). That proved to be a permanent solution.

OP
TR4

TR4

Jedi Knight
I have heard Kroil Oil heals up most issues but I have never tried it. This would be a good test. Is it all that much different than WD40?

Thanks,
Phil

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I think it is perhaps the belt also. If it has that thick belt, my experience is they squeak if everything is not aligned and tightened properly probably because the belt is heavy and thick and maybe goes out of round. Moreover, I think they used a softer belt when they were new. The danger is getting the belt too tight. I would purchase some of that spray Locktite belt dressing and use that to see if it is the belt. The stuff is sticky and holds the belt in place and if that is the problem then I try what Geo did.